What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
ukpreppergrrl

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Abagorth wrote:the trousers must have shrunk over the summer :shock:
It's your washing machine! Mine has beed doing exactly the same to all my clothes over the summer too. I think it's a conspiracy... :? :tinfoil
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
MAiwick

Post by MAiwick »

I've just booked onto a Bushcraft weekend course in november. Haven't been camping in way too long! Looking forward to pushing myself and learning some skills.
vassili

Post by vassili »

We have both realised recently it's time to get back in the saddle. Both too busy with our businesses and not focusing. So we got the poly recovered, bought in a great deal of fresh seeds and planted a lot more fruit, nut trees.
Next week we will be stock taking to see where the holes are in our reserves.
Feels great to be back in the right frame of mind.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

IMG_20170923_092223384.jpg
IMG_20170923_092216949.jpg
Got my hands on some insulation panels off a site from a skip (asked and told to take what I want)

So the workshop roof is now insulated it's deadened sound and it was noticeably warmer as I was doing it

Now it's all up I'm taking it down and painting it white to reflect light as it's a bit dark it's 25mm thick and easy to cut with a mora and a straight edge score snap and cut the foil like you do with plaster board
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well insulation painted

Sorted out my camping kit from summer all away for winter...

Other week before storm Aileen sound prepper I am ;-/ I had left my battery radio at work :roll:

2 cheap "world band" digital (in terms of tuning) radios have been acquired which use AA batteries... Which I can charge easy enough ;)

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Well insulation painted

Other week before storm Aileen sound prepper I am ;-/ I had left my battery radio at work :roll:

2 cheap "world band" digital (in terms of tuning) radios have been acquired which use AA batteries... Which I can charge easy enough ;)
Cannot beat battery radios.I have one in the kitchen,workshop and greenhouse. Also a mini FM job in my GHB.Waaaay back when we were first wed,we had a snow/ice storm one Saturday morning that took power and water out for almost a week.The radio, tuned into local BBC station kept us informed very well. Of course,they were more widely used then,as things were a lot simpler technology-wise.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My doorbell chime unit started ticking, literally, the other day - rechargeable batteries were just too old, and they'd leaked :shock: After a few days, I used an old toothbrush to clear the terminals, and it turned out every single AA battery that I had in use, was giving me the red flashing signal on the charger, meaning they were in error. So the new Eneloops batteries I bought last year, which were still in their protective plastic, have come into play. Got to buy some more now, to put away for the future.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:Well insulation painted

Cannot beat battery radios.I have one in the kitchen,workshop and greenhouse. Also a mini FM job in my GHB.Waaaay back when we were first wed,we had a snow/ice storm one Saturday morning that took power and water out for almost a week.The radio, tuned into local BBC station kept us informed very well. Of course,they were more widely used then,as things were a lot simpler technology-wise.
I've got one in my car kit but that's on my parents garage floor as I am awaiting my car going off for repair once the manufacturer gets their backside into gear I also have one in my camping kit but again that's in my trailer at my parents

Picked up a kiddie dry powder extinguisher for upstairs recently too as the lads room looks like a demolished pc world shop ;)

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I'm guessing your battery radios have a power adaptor or at least a socket for one for when you have power, have a check to see what voltage it supplies and how many amps the radio needs, I have a little DAB and FM battery radio that lives in my shed, it needs 5 volts and pulls half an amp, so with a little messing around on eBay I've got it running from the USB socket on the lifelight home solar lights I have out there.

All it took was finding the right cheapo cable on eBay and the addition of a clip on ferrite bead to stop the noisy power source from interfering with the reception, try it without first as your radios might be more tolerant than mine.
If you need a ferrite bead you probably have one knocking around on an old camera cable if you're anything like me, I never throw cables away!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Lol Jamesey I've literally just walked from the shed and used s old usb lead to make it useable on usb mains and 12v adapters ;)

Also I'm making use of free electric. To change my batteries ;)
IMG_20170924_105355219.jpg