What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
ParamedicPrepper

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

A nice new pair of running shoes. Let my fitness slip the last year or so. Time to get back on track
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Stasher wrote:Well. it's seville orange season, so three different types of marmalade have been made, labelled and squeezed in the cupboard. Also dug out some of the summer fruit languishing at the bottom of the the frrezer and gave that a good jamming as well. I think I've bought the last of the post Christmas bargains to be had and that's all been shoved in the attic. Given the pet food stocks a thorough rotation.

Our minds are turning to seed (oh how true, how true!) and planting at the moment. I love this time when life starts to surge thro the soil with the promise of delicious food to come
You reminded me just in time! I went to the Market and got some Seville Oranges today. Phew! Crisis averted :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Time I tackled some more lemon curd. We're nearly out of it and the home made stuff is better than the shop stuff.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

SooBee wrote:Time I tackled some more lemon curd. We're nearly out of it and the home made stuff is better than the shop stuff.

Couldn't agree more, thanks for the idea, I have some lemons left in the fridge. After last year when I didn't cope as well as usual for various reasons but mostly health, and had to use a lot of my preps - well that's what they're for - I've been replacing as much as I can and this is a good time to do it as Xmas related foods go on sale along with the jan sale bargains. Got 30 tins of heinz soup 50p each and 5 tins with cardboard tube inside of bisto for £1 reduced from 2'99. The bisto will get used as long bb date and the tins will be handy storage. A couple of torches for £1.58 and tealights 20 for 50p. hot water bottle for £1.99.

Also stocked up on sugar 24 kgs, keep in plastic boxes and now ready for this years jam making. 980 teabags - a must, 6 drums salt, and 144 toilet rolls. Hope to get up to 3months of total needs stored soon and 6 months of a lot of it in the next 3 months. If prices keep going up it should save money in the long run. just hope I can keep it up and my health/ finances/frame of mind doesn't falter again.

Been going through my clothes when i wasn't fit to do much else, think I've got enough socks for a decade or two! But need to watch out for a good bargain of a jacket, waterproof and suitable for hiking or everyday wear would be best. got more tshirts than I thought but fewer warm jumpers/fleeces. Glad i did it as I just take stuff out or stuff things in without thinking through what i have. Might do the same with other areas when i can, maybe a count of gardening tools and equipment next, think I've got plenty spades but not forks but as they're between 2 places a count may be in order.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Bought a new copy of the Collins Gem SAS Survival Guide for £4.79 at https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/000 ... UTF8&psc=1
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

For a few weeks now I've been messing about with drastically cutting back on calories and occassionally fasting, actually going for a few days (separated) without any food at all (although calories were had via beer). I've been investigating the effects of lack of calories on me personally. I've learnt that if calories aren't maintained then I get headaches, irritability, and am noticeably less effective at my job. It's interesting because I've noticed all that and have barely scraped the surface of calorie loss. This all feeds into my plans for food preps.

I've also found that my normal working day is 1500 calories without additional exercise, and that with moderate exercise added for a couple of hours I need up to 3000 calories. For bugging out I'll probably plan for 4000 calories ("24 hr" MREs) for the journey. For bugging in at least 2000 calories.

Oh, my eldest son and I have also been continuing practising preparing and lighting birch bark using a ferro rod. Next on the list is focussing on lighting fires using just a ferro rod and a feather stick. Luckily our Mora knives make creating feather sticks rather easy.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

sethorly wrote:I've been investigating the effects of lack of calories on me personally. I've learnt that if calories aren't maintained then I get headaches, irritability, and am noticeably less effective at my job. It's interesting because I've noticed all that and have barely scraped the surface of calorie loss. This all feeds into my plans for food preps.
Sethorly,

You may well find that the headaches & irritability are not so much from the lack of calories but the lack of sugars in your diet, (both natural and added) Headaches and irritability are classic withdraws symptoms.

If I could offer a thought; if you want to continue to investigate this try drinking a cup of sweet tea when you feel the headaches coming on. If you find that it reduces/stops then it's the sugar that your body is craving. As I said, sugars are in food naturally even when you eat healthy.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I've just added some books to my library, including the two Cody Lundin books "98.6 Degrees" and "When All Hell Breaks Loose".
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
jansman

Post by jansman »

whenfires wrote:I've just added some books to my library, including the two Cody Lundin books "98.6 Degrees" and "When All Hell Breaks Loose".
Two very good choices there if I may say so. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Creating a detailed plan this year of what to grow and jobs to do in the allotment as last year it all went to rack and ruin after a foot op prevented me from doing anything down at my patch from April to September. Also re stocking after we had our kitchen redone at the end of last year and I used a lot of my bottled water (I only tend to keep a week's supply in the house atm) and I ran down a lot of my stores due to practicalities of ripping out a kitchen. It's meant I have done a lot of stock rotation and also eaten and got rid of some rather nasty tasting tinned broccoli and stilton soup. Replaced with something far tastier now in my stores. So just general restocking and reorganising here.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)