What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by Deeps »

Arzosah wrote:
Deeps wrote: I know a lot on here won't get this but I can justify pulling something out of my wallet when I'm in company, or even a jacket pocket but pulling out a wee pouch with an array of 'bits and bobs' would seem weird to most. Decisions, decisions..... I'll have fun having a play at least.
I get that, to tell the truth - it's not a fashion accessory, where you can twirl about and say "woo hoo, look at me!" it's about how useful it is, in your context. More power to your elbow. Or wallet, as the case may be :mrgreen:
I hadn't thought of it like that but you're right, as it is, I'm already the oddball with a powerbank etc on football days away and I don't mind helping out but I've no wish to have to explain. You could beat a walrus to death with my bloody wallet though and not because its full of cash. :(
Zunzuncito

Post by Zunzuncito »

This weekend I've had to take some emergency measures to support one of my little dwarf apple trees. It's heavily weighed with apples which is fabulous but it is weighing one of the branches down significantly so I've had to create a prop and support it a bit. I could have reduced some of the load on the branch but with the type of tree it is it's not recommended. I managed to do it though it was harder than I'd thought it would be - though this is my own fault for not putting more support in for the poor tree in the first place. Next year I'll do better and aim to set up a little A-frame support for it instead :D
peejay

Post by peejay »

I decided to break open a Terramundi pot I've been throwing £2 coins into since, it turns out, June 2008. Total haul came to £562 (which probably earned as much interest sat in the pot as it would have in the bank in all that time!).

Having joked about doing it on FB someone pointed out to watch out for some rare ones & it turns out I have a few (though not quite the rarest). Two Commonwealth games (sadly England & Scotland rather than NI) plus a couple of error coins.

Now I've sucked myself into researching ANY £2 error coin possibilities before I bag 'em up! :roll:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote:I decided to break open a Terramundi pot I've been throwing £2 coins into since, it turns out, June 2008. Total haul came to £562 (which probably earned as much interest sat in the pot as it would have in the bank in all that time!).

Having joked about doing it on FB someone pointed out to watch out for some rare ones & it turns out I have a few (though not quite the rarest). Two Commonwealth games (sadly England & Scotland rather than NI) plus a couple of error coins.

Now I've sucked myself into researching ANY £2 error coin possibilities before I bag 'em up! :roll:
We broke one to bank the old 1 pound coins and had a few 'vaguely rare' ones, but only worth a few quid more than the coin. Well done if you've got some that are worth the hassle. We're just putting away the 2 quids now, at some point we'll have a fortune, at the moment its depressingly empty (probably still got about 60 to 80 quid in it though).
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Just finished putting in the new door frame and door on the side shed. Did the guttering at the weekend. Now waiting for it to rain to check the guttering all works as expected and the door doesn't leak. Once I'm sure it's reasonably water tight I can start putting "stuff" in there from the second shed which is going to become the new and improved solar shack. :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
peejay

Post by peejay »

Picked up one of the Halfords gas stoves mentioned here for £7.50 on the way home from work tonight - next comes a stash of butane cans when I work out the best value option :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

peejay wrote:Picked up one of the Halfords gas stoves mentioned here for £7.50 on the way home from work tonight - next comes a stash of butane cans when I work out the best value option :)
Places like B&M do them in a 4 pack for 4 quid mate. I think you can bulk buy on ebay too.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well all but mini Andy now have 3/4 length wetsuits and "beach shoes".

How's this a prep. .. flooding is a big risk here and if needing to bug out we can keep "warm" if we have to prof and Wade out or climb into a rib (they won't fit through the front gate unless it's about 5ft deep
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
peejay

Post by peejay »

Deeps wrote:Places like B&M do them in a 4 pack for 4 quid mate. I think you can bulk buy on ebay too.
Ooh, got one of those 'round the corner that I haven't visited yet since it switched from Homebase so shall have a mooch - ta :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Well all but mini Andy now have 3/4 length wetsuits and "beach shoes".

How's this a prep. .. flooding is a big risk here and if needing to bug out we can keep "warm" if we have to prof and Wade out or climb into a rib (they won't fit through the front gate unless it's about 5ft deep
I've got scuba boots for taking away with me up the hills, got bit in the arse out walking and luckily we were staying in a bothy so managed to dry my boots out but didn't have anything else to wear so borrowed a pair of 'bothy baffies' from a mate which inspired me. They can also double up for crossing burns etc and keeping boots dry. I've not got as far the the 'full gimp' yet but I can see the logic.