What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
ukpreppergrrl

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Just to mention with regard to solar installations consider including fuses and/or DC circuit breakers to protect your wires...they can burn very quickly....
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
roddas

Post by roddas »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:Just to mention with regard to solar installations consider including fuses and/or DC circuit breakers to protect your wires...they can burn very quickly....
A very good point breakers and fuses on everything also use cable rated well above what you will be needing
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Had a good week for freebies, got some meat for me and the dogs from one mate, also got some presents from a mate who's still in the Mob. :D

Done a fair bit of dehydrating, got some garlic on the go at the moment. Apart from that, a bit of research into my planned shed lecky backup system.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

roddas wrote:
ukpreppergrrl wrote:Just to mention with regard to solar installations consider including fuses and/or DC circuit breakers to protect your wires...they can burn very quickly....
A very good point breakers and fuses on everything also use cable rated well above what you will be needing
Fused as close to the battery as possible

Also take voltage drop into consideration

Also all connections should be very secure

Be aware of hydrogen liberated from the batteries whilst charging and avoid contact with battery acid
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

As part of our house security over the weekend I fitted some reflective "mirror" film to the windows. Got it all on eBay and it was really easy to fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Refle ... 2749.l2649

During daylight you cannot see in through the glass at all, it is very effective indeed. We can now watch the birds and squirrels feeding on our window ledge just 6" away from us and they have no idea, they just see their own reflection.

At night you can see outside nicely, until you turn the light on, then the effect is almost reversed so you can see in from outside very clearly, but cant see out at all.

Really pleased overall, spent about £30 in total which covered 2 windows and one door. Easy to apply once you watched the online video on YouTube. :D
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got my calor heater our cleaned it and services it replaced rubber hose as it was perished a new regulator and a clean of the injectors and Venturi tubes
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
peejay

Post by peejay »

Another win for the other half - she's very much appreciating the rubber pull-on shoe spikes I bought last winter ;-) (I actually kept those in the Caravan & bought another couple of pairs each last week in prep for the coming snow which was reasonably heavy here in the Midlands).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-STUD-UNIV ... 2749.l2649
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Great opportunity over the weekend to test our wet weather gear and aging bodies against the elements. Managed to get in a eight mile "speedy" hike with 15 kg pack. Warm and dry with no blisters or sprains, so i'm counting that as a good result.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

Finally got my wood burner up and running. It also provides hot water too! Plumbed in? No - just a great big Le Creuset kettle full of water shoved on the top. This takes care of all the washing up and brews! Only downside - in this part of rural France everyone has woodturners, so skip - hunting is not as productive as, say, in suburban London.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have just got back from work ( had a continental truck to unload at 5am) and crawled into bed to drink tea and stuff :D .Brutal graft in front of me for the next seven days solid now.So I am filling the self feeders for the animals and adding extra.Hopefully the self watering pipes on the rabbits won't freeze,but I will keep an eye on that.They all have removable litter trays for cleaning,so thats easy to deal with. Then I am loading the woodstore by the back door so the Duchess doesn't have to retrieve fuel from up the yard.There will be enough there to last 'til 27 Dec. so I can have two solid days doing absolutely nothing next week!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.