What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
Sarah-Kate

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by Sarah-Kate »

Gave my mum her bivi for her bob..

Light weight as she can't carry too much.

http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Sle ... range.html

It will keep her dry in rainy England..

SK :D
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

I've been trying to light birch bark and various tinder fungi with ferro rods with my kids with the tinder being damp (and using a knife instead of the striker). We succeeded but it took a dozen goes on average - much harder than when dry but doable; we've got a long way to go but at least we're not just throwing out random sparks any more. Also teaching my 12 yr old how to use his Xmas mora clipper - the other 3 are still on their pocketknives. Best thing about prepping is that it's led to me and the kids learning bushcraft together.

Oh, also realised that the legal 3" blade limit applies to the ricasso thingie bit too so my SAK Mauser is not legal carry although I've been carrying it as one :shock: . I'll just have to buy a SAK Fisherman then (my wife loved her SAK classic so is happy for me to get a new knife - yay!)!
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

sethorly wrote: Oh, also realised that the legal 3" blade limit applies to the ricasso thingie bit too so my SAK Mauser is not legal carry although I've been carrying it as one :shock: . I'll just have to buy a SAK Fisherman then (my wife loved her SAK classic so is happy for me to get a new knife - yay!)!
Not exactly, the Law states a three inch cutting edge, so you should take the belly of the blade into account but not any Choil or Ricasso.

However, your average Copper (or anyone else for that matter) will just measure whatever is sticking out of the handle. So, you're also right :?

Still, as you point out, it's an excellent excuse to buy another knife :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
munchh

Post by munchh »

Happy new year to you all, hope you had a good Christmas.

I'm looking at having a good go through my bushcraft/bugout stuff, ive now tried all the stuff i wanted to and am pretty sure what bit i like most.

I have Blackthorn (sloes) to plant and i want to learn to identify tress and free food plants, i also need to make up my mind what veg im going to try growing this year. :D
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Not exactly...
Thanks. I've bought the SAK Fisherman anyway haha
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Having tested my new found physical fitness with a ride with the local cycling club and found my fitness lacking even after all the work I have done on myself I have to get that even more on track. Have "invested" in another bike for road cycling and am practising the skills for that with the goal of doing more proper stuff with time.

As its now January I am steeling myself for a visit to the colonic irrigation therapists which I did last year and it was.... erm... very interesting. Ok its a bit strange to have a nice little old lady shoving a tube up your bottom, but the end result seemed to be good health and energy wise.

Instead of just reading about healthy diets I have converted to banana and kale smoothies for breakfast.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Zunzuncito

Post by Zunzuncito »

Used up some book tokens I got for Christmas to order two books on gardening: one about gardening for beginners by the RHS (as I am really a novice) and the second about growing your own food, again for beginners as although I'm already growing some things I want to do more.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Achieved Rotation with the Tea stocks, Finally used the last of the initial load of bags bought in 2015.

Biccys however are still on a two week cycle :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I got an A4 desk diary from the poundshop for the allotment. Normally I use an old notebook but this year I'm going posh. :D I want to start writing in sowing dates, germination dates, when things start cropping and how much. I'm starting from scratch in a new location and different conditions so it's back to testing again. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Other than job hunting (62 jobs applied for so far and only 1 rejection so hoping all goes well)

I've managed to rotate my food supplies, check for dates and damage etc. I've also tinkered with my BOB/Hiking Bag.

Went out on a 2 day bimble whilst the wife was away on a course (although I did stay indoors at a mates, not outside this time around) Basically walked to Manchester and back. (I'm from the Wirral so not too far) Was really nice actually.

I'm looking at Rhyl in North Wales for my next walkabout I estimate about 12 hours each way. May treat myself to a hostel or cheap B&B depending on the weather as it's a built up area.
Brambles wrote:I got an A4 desk diary from the poundshop for the allotment. Normally I use an old notebook but this year I'm going posh. :D I want to start writing in sowing dates, germination dates, when things start cropping and how much. I'm starting from scratch in a new location and different conditions so it's back to testing again. :)
Brambles, You are getting posh with a diary :lol: I always remember my grandparents (they had a small farm) using a diary to record sewing dates etc so they could check yields/growth etc against previous years. When they died I remember sitting down and looking through a few years worth of them. Made for interesting reading.

My square foot garden has been put on hold until I can find some salvage wood or find some cash to pay for the rest of the materials 8-)
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!