What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by jansman »

Starting to Winterise ( is that a word?) the garden, putting fresh batteries in smoke alarms and emergency lights on our scarily steep stairway. Thinking of Winter now, I realise that I have neglected my Winter fishing preps.

I love to fish, especially for pike in the Winter. I normally put a supply of deadbaits ( small fish such as roach and dace) into the freezer as I catch suitable ones through the Summer. This bait I use to catch the predatory Pike and Zander. Sadly I have worked 6 day weeks for a couple of months and my freezer filling has gone by the board and it will soon be too late to catch suitable quantities. I can buy them but it is wickedly expensive!

So, the conditions look good for tomorrow, the river is in good nick, so it’s sh#t or bust. So I thought to myself that this could be a good exercise and ‘pretend’ that this trip is a SHTF food gathering trip. I read often about folks’ ideas for food gathering if it all goes South, so we’ll see how I fare. I have shooting permission on this stretch too, so I might just take the .410 too! Let you know how it goes... :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote:Starting to Winterise ( is that a word?) the garden........
Over here, yes
Over there, our US brethren spell it with a Zed rather then an Ess........ Weird
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Over here, yes
Over there, our US brethren spell it with a Zed rather then an Ess........ Weird
Ha ha! I am English to the core. I am also a stickler for proper spelling. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:
Over here, yes
Ha ha! I am English to the core. I am also a stickler for proper spelling. :D
Ditto. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

A little garden winterising as well here.
After having to relocate the veg patch this year, all I had time to plant were a few (75) spuds, and approx 100 onion sets. The spuds went under 'lazy beds', and even though they cropped okay, I'm still left with some half dead grass and weed patches.
So now the spuds are all up, I have covered the whole area with carpets (just re-carpeted the whole house), and the area will just need a little dig n rake in spring.

Have set aside 100 spuds for next years planting.

Another stack of wood to cut awaits outside, but was way to lazy to do anything today.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I've ordered a few of those thermal survival bags to try to see if they'll be better than the plastic ones, supposed to be like a space blanket on the inside.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well it has pi££ed down all day.Got gradually soaked as I fished,and when I packed up ,the rain stopped!Anyhow,as a 'food' gathering exercise, I bagged up.90 fish of which 70 were suitable as pike bait for the Winter.

Had it been a SHTF trip,we and family would have been OK for a feed,as the majority of the catch was roach.Quite edible, even though we have no food culture around freshwater fish these days.It brings to mind a conversation I had many years ago with the owner of our local fishing tackle shop.He had been brought up in our village in the 1920's,his dad being a Mason in the local quarry.He told me that times were hard,and all food was valuable.His brother was a ferreting fan,and Roy an angler - like his dad.Everything big enough got eaten,and roach were favourite.

Anyhow, I put my .410 in the rod bag and took a walk around the wood against the river before I started( I have permission), and bagged a rabbit and a Woodie.Also found a couple of hazel trees full of nuts.I am off down there after work tomorrow to swag some of those too.Lovely.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Rabbit and nice fat pigeons are good food, you could make game pie.
I'm hammering in foodstuffs for the winter - tins and packets and dried veg. I don't want to be out in supermarkets full of people coughing and sneezing flu over me this winter. It's always the silly wee things that let us down, like running out of tea or milk. Not going to happen this year :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote:Rabbit and nice fat pigeons are good food, you could make game pie.
I'm hammering in foodstuffs for the winter - tins and packets and dried veg. I don't want to be out in supermarkets full of people coughing and sneezing flu over me this winter. It's always the silly wee things that let us down, like running out of tea or milk. Not going to happen this year :mrgreen:
Run out of tea? That really would be TEOTWAWKI! And I am not joking :D
The rabbit will be eaten by me and Father in law,he loves em.The woodie by me.Seasonal veg,spuds and a plum sauce - banging!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman, congratulations! You've done yourself proud with all of that :)

All I'm doing is clearing away and tidying up, so that when I have a builder in next month and he has to go in half the rooms in the house, he can do his thing quickly and get out. I've realised my stocking up, the winter sort that Lil's doing to avoid the winter flu germs, isn't going as well as I thought it was.