What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
peejay

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by peejay »

I have a pair of Neos Overboots that I originally bought for photography (can bod about in streams etc. to get the best angle) which roll up quite compact & I keep in the car during winter.

I also bought a pair of chest-high waders for the same reason but deeper rivers but haven't christened them yet. They'll probably stay in the car come winter too - they're certainly potentially more useful in the car than they are in a cupboard at home...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Blimey ... if I need to bug out because of a flood, I'm hoping that wellies will be enough :( if they're not, I think I'll just camp on the top floor ...

Peejay - good to see that you got the stove on sale too! I picked mine up on Saturday, along with a first batch of gas cartridges. Looked for the hexi tabs, as I said I would, but they're not there. I think thats going to be an online order.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I live at the top of a hill so if I'm bugging out due to flood there's going to be an awful lot of people in front of me :)

My main thinking for keeping the waders in the car is because I drive a Land Rover which can wade in up to 2ft of water, but common advice is not to drive into water without knowing about any potential hazards so, in theory I could throw the waders on, check the situation, then make a decision on driving through it or not.

Bit of a longshot needing them but as I said, for the above reason they're probably of more use in the car than at home :)
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

peejay wrote:I have a pair of Neos Overboots that I originally bought for photography (can bod about in streams etc. to get the best angle) which roll up quite compact & I keep in the car during winter.

I also bought a pair of chest-high waders for the same reason but deeper rivers but haven't christened them yet. They'll probably stay in the car come winter too - they're certainly potentially more useful in the car than they are in a cupboard at home...
Back in the day when I had chest waders it was usual to wear a lifjacket with them, apparently if you fall over they fill with water and can drag you down. Never tested it though.
peejay

Post by peejay »

wow, makes perfect sense, never considered that! In reality, simply tripping over in say, thigh-high, water could be enough to "fill yer boots" significantly....
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Hello to everyone on this thread. I finished reading all the 'how are you preparing' threads. Did take me a while. Am very grateful to everyone on here for their insights. Am much richer for it. Knowledge wise. Not financially :D
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
oldman

Post by oldman »

sniper 55 wrote:Back in the day when I had chest waders it was usual to wear a lifjacket with them, apparently if you fall over they fill with water and can drag you down. Never tested it though.
Chest waders can be a real danger. While beach launching a small fishing boat a crew member was knocked over by a wave. We soon dragged him out but the waves had washed so much sand into his waders that they had to be cut off.

Another example of this problem comes from filming "The Creature From The Black Lagoon". The actor playing the creature, Ben Chapman, had to walk up a ramp out of the lake, towards the camera, wearing a rubber suit. The suit filled with water and the weight made it imposable to walk up the ramp. They got round the problem by putting drainage holes in the legs of the suit but that solution rather invalidates the use of waders.
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Waders are evil!

Fell over once trying fly fishing. Luckily I wasn't too deep at that moment. But it took all my effort to get out as everyone was too busy laughing their heads off. Never went back...

On a change of subject. I done a basic fire fighting course with the local fire brigade (done through work). It really opened my eyes up to what to do in an emergency and just how unprepared I was in my home for a fire and dealing with moving about/getting out in a smoke filled home.

Going to be reviewing some of the bits in my home following that.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

How about a Dry suit rather then chest waders ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ForgeCorvus wrote:How about a Dry suit rather then chest waders ?
I've got something like that....

:o