What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
shocker

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by shocker »

Been buying tinned foods and lots of dried fruit,nuts and grains from Aldi. Also granola and breakfast bars with 12 month best before dates. That and learning how to make my own chlorine dioxide for water treatment. Using my homebrew barrels etc to store water...

...and having a huge gin hangover from 50th birthday :? :cry:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Wife nagging me this week to sort out my preps for house fire and house intruder. So she has been paying attention to my waffle - there's a first!
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sethorly wrote:Wife nagging me this week to sort out my preps for house fire and house intruder. So she has been paying attention to my waffle - there's a first!
Its taken a couple of years of me being an 'official' prepper before Her Maj started (and that's STARTED) to get with the programme. To be fair she's been getting better for a while but I don't see her 'camming up' or even going for a crap in the great outdoors but softly softly and that. Good luck with yours mate, it sounds like the iceberg is melting. :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

The propagators are switched on in the greenhouse,and the soil is warm.So today I shall be sowing leeks,chilli,sweet peppers and indoor tommyatoes.New potatoes have been under cloches for a month in the polytunnel,so they should be breaking through by the end of February/early March. That means we can get an early crop out before the peppers go in,and if timed right,we should get Winter salad in after that.

Its a nice ,optimistic, time of year. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

sethorly wrote:Wife nagging me this week to sort out my preps for house fire and house intruder. So she has been paying attention to my waffle - there's a first!

Give her a box of oven pride tell her the oven needs cleaning as the build up of grease is a fire hazard. . . Then grab BOB and head to your BOL before she has chance to throw something at you

If your after extinguishers look into water mist. .. There's a lot of crap in the EN3 regs the units we have at work have been marked up with wording like "current en3 regulations do not recognise water mist as a suitable medium for class b fires however this unit has reached 21b rating for flammable liquids"

See the video on this link:

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/e-series-wat ... nguishers/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

jansman wrote:The propagators are switched on in the greenhouse,and the soil is warm.So today I shall be sowing leeks,chilli,sweet peppers and indoor tommyatoes.New potatoes have been under cloches for a month in the polytunnel,so they should be breaking through by the end of February/early March. That means we can get an early crop out before the peppers go in,and if timed right,we should get Winter salad in after that.

I don't know if anyone else is into astronomy, but if you go outside during the late evening and look directly upwards and slightly south (as at Jan) you'll see a distinctive smudgy cluster of stars, which is a formation known as the Pleiades. It is to the right and up of Orion which is lowish and slightly to the left in the southern sky.
http://en.es-static.us/upl/2015/04/venu ... pril-9.jpg (Pleiades in the top half of this pic - the bright object in the bottom half is Venus)
It is stunningingly beautiful when viewed through binos.

In 1600BC a disc of metal was created known as the Nebra Sky Disk:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebra_sky_disk

On the sky disc is depicted the Pleiades star cluster. It is thought that it is depicted on the disc because when the Pleiades star cluster moves to the top of the (European) sky, it was the sign to prehistoric man that the planting season had come.
=======
=======
Area 8
=======
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

sethorly wrote:
jansman wrote:The propagators are switched on in the greenhouse,and the soil is warm.So today I shall be sowing leeks,chilli,sweet peppers and indoor tommyatoes.New potatoes have been under cloches for a month in the polytunnel,so they should be breaking through by the end of February/early March. That means we can get an early crop out before the peppers go in,and if timed right,we should get Winter salad in after that.

I don't know if anyone else is into astronomy, but if you go outside during the late evening and look directly upwards and slightly south (as at Jan) you'll see a distinctive smudgy cluster of stars, which is a formation known as the Pleiades. It is to the right and up of Orion which is lowish and slightly to the left in the southern sky.
http://en.es-static.us/upl/2015/04/venu ... pril-9.jpg (Pleiades in the top half of this pic - the bright object in the bottom half is Venus)
It is stunningingly beautiful when viewed through binos.

In 1600BC a disc of metal was created known as the Nebra Sky Disk:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebra_sky_disk

On the sky disc is depicted the Pleiades star cluster. It is thought that it is depicted on the disc because when the Pleiades star cluster moves to the top of the (European) sky, it was the sign to prehistoric man that the planting season had come.
Now that's just lovely, thanks for sharing

We have been bulking up on seed/planting and everything associated with it it this week
Knowledge is power
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

Just found this combo on ebay so ordered one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bahco-BAH396L ... SwFdtX0Uju

Bahco Laplander folding saw with a rebranded Mora knife for £24.99 delivered. Seemed like a good price to me!
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

< edit - post deleted >
=======
=======
Area 8
=======
Wales1

Post by Wales1 »

Been making the most of the rainy weather, digging out some 'ornamanetal' trees and bushes and planting a load of fruit bushes (loads in poundland at the moment)..A big thank you to whoever lived here before and used the top end of the garden as a dumping ground :evil:

Though in all fairness I found a nice 7 inch kitchen knife buried in the garden,a quick run through the dishwasher and a run over the knife sharper will go back into use.