What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
dazthechippy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by dazthechippy »

focusing on my water preps now, ordered some 25l containers for storage of drinking water so i can fill them and forget them, out of sunlight, in a nice cool garage.

then moving on to water butts and lids for non drinking water to keep the leaves out and an inline filter system to keep the general gunk out.. Need to get Milton tablets/solution but have got plenty of purification tabs..

with the dry summer this year (well sort of at the start) it made me think about upping my water game...
Lea_123

Post by Lea_123 »

Deeps wrote:
Brambles wrote:I've had a wash and washed my hair in the greenhouse before now. :oops: I always keep a couple of 20L water containers in there as heat sinks and the water is always lovely and warm. If you have a greenhouse, polytunnel or conservatory, you will have warm water. :D
There's also these kind of things, prices vary and this is a gucci one going by the price. Never tried them myself but it will probably depend on how much sun you get, hanging it in the greenhouse will help.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RISEPRO-Temper ... lar+shower

Thank you - think I will get one of these in!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Bagged a couple more side pockets in purple:

I know, I have a problem. I can give up whenever I want... honest.... I could you know................ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
ClericalError

Post by ClericalError »

Renewing old stored water at the moment - after a few months of not doing much (horrible work stress) I have been sorting through my kit and stored food, organising things better and noting expiry dates and so on.

Come to think of it, I think I have escaped from the main source of the horrible work stress after more than a year of raising red flags, so perhaps that is a prep too...
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I've been sorting out my finances a bit - I've done some bank jiggery-pokery and got new accounts set up and found an old dormant account (with the grand total of £1.33 in it! :lol: ). I've made a savings plan for myself with the aim of working towards a mortgage deposit. I can't keep renting my bungalow from my auntie forever. My saving so far has been quite good, but not that structured. It'll be a hard slog trying to get enough money for a place by myself, but I'll give it a go!

I've also signed up to Codecademy to learn the basics of coding for free. It will be useful for work, plus I see it as low-key retraining. I heard something on the news recently that there are plans to get 2-year olds to learn to code, so I figure if I want to keep up with my nieces' generation in 20 years time when I'll still be (bloody well) working, then I need to keep up with the skills that kids are being taught now as standard. Even within my own job now, we're seeing a massive increase in the 'techie' skills that we're expected to suddenly learn, despite it not being in job descriptions. I feel I need to try and keep ahead of the curve as it were! Plus it means having another string to my bow if I wanted to change job direction.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Le Mouse wrote:I've been sorting out my finances a bit - I've done some bank jiggery-pokery and got new accounts set up and found an old dormant account (with the grand total of £1.33 in it! :lol: ). I've made a savings plan for myself with the aim of working towards a mortgage deposit. I can't keep renting my bungalow from my auntie forever. My saving so far has been quite good, but not that structured. It'll be a hard slog trying to get enough money for a place by myself, but I'll give it a go!

I've also signed up to Codecademy to learn the basics of coding for free. It will be useful for work, plus I see it as low-key retraining. I heard something on the news recently that there are plans to get 2-year olds to learn to code, so I figure if I want to keep up with my nieces' generation in 20 years time when I'll still be (bloody well) working, then I need to keep up with the skills that kids are being taught now as standard. Even within my own job now, we're seeing a massive increase in the 'techie' skills that we're expected to suddenly learn, despite it not being in job descriptions. I feel I need to try and keep ahead of the curve as it were! Plus it means having another string to my bow if I wanted to change job direction.
I've been on the home finances spreadsheet today as well. Shopping has to go down to £62.50 per week for the 4 of us :o Also thinking/researching options for work. My son recommended prospects.ac.uk All a bit daunting after a lifetime of art and music!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Does painting the shed count as a prep?

Well winter is coming and damp cold days so whilst it's tinder dry I've got some decent timber preserver / rot / insect killer on it...

http://www.ronseal.co.uk/garden/sheds-a ... preserver/

To keep the inside a bit drier and make my shed last a lot longer

Pulled some more veg for Sunday dinner

Next week need to add fuel stabilizer to my garden machinery and run it through to ensure its in the carb and grease everything up and oil bare metal to hold off rust
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

hobo wrote:I've been on the home finances spreadsheet today as well. Shopping has to go down to £62.50 per week for the 4 of us :o Also thinking/researching options for work. My son recommended prospects.ac.uk All a bit daunting after a lifetime of art and music!
You could try this site for shopping ideas: Feed Your Family for £20. They've tarted it up since I last saw it, but the premise is still the same.

What is prompting your career change thoughts?
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am busy processing vegetable seeds at the moment,tomato,various beans,leeks etc.Next year I shall only be growing from saved seed,none bought,( which I pretty much do now anyway).Along with the perennial plants,this will make the garden as close to a ' closed loop' system as possible.We create plenty of compost with having the animals and liquid fertiliser is made with Comfrey.Pest control organic.

Later today we are stocking the medicine cabinet ready for all the Winter ailments.Also I am getting a new phone( on contract) on my Wife' s insistence! I have an old PAYG job,but I have got to get 'teched up'.I drive a lot of miles with work and it will help in lieu of a sat nav,staying in touch etc. The girls all have i phones with a ' find a friend' app,and the Duchess says I should have this as I fish alone in some rather remote places.Sound thinking.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Re-wicked and refuelled my finger lamps:

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.