What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
ChefSimon

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by ChefSimon »

This week I am on a 3 day medical course the start of the week to improve and re-certify some of my skills.

Following on from that I'm in the process of updating my EDC tin. I'm creating a new purpose built light-weight tin that actually suits my needs. The old tin is a bit chunky and has a lot of stuff I've never used.

I've acquired some small rare earth magnets to hold some of the items in the tin making it a bit more stable and quieter. I'll pop a post up when it's done (and I'm happy ish with the results)
Jamesey1981 wrote:As for planned preps, it was my birthday recently and my grandfather gave me a few quid, so I have ordered a blade blank for a TBS Boar bushcraft knife, I've wanted to make my own custom bushcraft knife for ages, but as I don't have a forge I can't harden the steel properly, so I'm doing the next best thing and buying the blade ready done and doing the handle myself.
I went for the stainless option on the blade steel, and I've got some beautiful curly birch on the way for the scales, I'll be using red liners which I like a lot on light wood, and I'm doing mosaic pins to hold the scales on. Should be a cracking looking knife when it's finished, I'll post some pictures up as long as my woodworking skills don't let me down. :)
Would love to see the finished result. I've never been good at doing stuff like that but wish I could.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

It shouldn't be too hard, I'm going to do a lot of the shaping with hand tools, I have a belt sander but as I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to knifemaking I'm a bit wary of taking too much off, so if I do most of it with rasps, files and sandpaper then I can take it slow and I should get something nice at the end of it.
I'll take pics as I go and stick a (heavily edited otherwise it would be rather long!) video up on my YouTube channel, might inspire yourself or others to give it a go, if it turns out ok that is, if it doesn't at least you can all have a laugh anyway!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

My wife now has an EDC multiool on her keys! It may only be a tiny SAK Classic SD but this is a minor miracle as regards her prepping awareness as she is completely off-side with it all :D
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

whenfires wrote:My wife now has an EDC multiool on her keys! It may only be a tiny SAK Classic SD but this is a minor miracle as regards her prepping awareness as she is completely off-side with it all :D
Well done, Her Maj has a tiny SAK too, keep plugging away with her, mine now has a small bag of essentials in the back of her car and is getting more aware of things. Its a long process though.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Autumn is coming. The pound shops have their umbrellas in at the moment. Might be worth while stocking up on a few. Also on another note, wen camping this summer I will be using my steripen to help make the ghastly camp site water drinkable.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
woodsman1

Post by woodsman1 »

just updated all my first aid kits one for work vital as i'm a lone worker using power tools, one in the wife's car, house and hill walking, camping kit.
also updating my fire starting kit for camping, all good fun
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

woodsman1 wrote:just updated all my first aid kits one for work vital as i'm a lone worker using power tools, one in the wife's car, house and hill walking, camping kit.
also updating my fire starting kit for camping, all good fun

What tools you using?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Fixing the roof on my side shed to make it water tight :) Then once I've replaced the door and frame I can use it for storage and the base for my solar power reconfiguration.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Been practicing my foraging skills.....I caught enough fish at the lake to have fed us a few times over :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

Putting together a little vegetable garden today (had fun carrying 70L of compost to my flat) with a selection of easy growing salads.

Otherwise, constantly building my BOB...sourcing gear is pretty fun at the moment!