What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
moggins

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by moggins »

Tomorrow, finishing cutting the hazel that I chopped down last weekend into usable chunks. Looking for a decent spade down at the car boot sale.

Today, off to posh café in town for afternoon tea to celebrate my birthday.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Happy Birthday!
moggins wrote:Tomorrow, finishing cutting the hazel that I chopped down last weekend into usable chunks. Looking for a decent spade down at the car boot sale.

Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
shocker

Post by shocker »

I hope you enjoyed your day out, Mog, have a good birthday :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

mightymayesy wrote:Another 5kg of rice and 12 litres of water for me this week.
Little and often.
I am amazed at how much food and water I have in by just adding on a little to the weekly shop!
MM
It is surprising how quickly you can build up a good hoard of scran, we still do the same, every time we're at the shops I pick up something for the zombie stores, if we're a bit skint its a bit less but it all adds up. I was aiming for a months worth but it just kept growing, I really need to get it organised properly again, its a bit haphazard and I'm a lazy git though.
moggins wrote:Tomorrow, finishing cutting the hazel that I chopped down last weekend into usable chunks. Looking for a decent spade down at the car boot sale.

Happy birthday, I hope the prepping pixies were good to you. :D
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Knackering my knee has given me the opportunity to see how far I can go with my preps - bu**er the zombie apocalypse, being physically unable to get much at the shops is test enough! It's made me realise that I'm not far off some very weird food combinations! I've gone back to work (a campus university is *hilarious* on crutches :roll: ) so I'm buying sensible lunches from the campus shops, but my dinners are becoming heavily pasta based. I'm starting to wonder why I have so much rice, but not much to eat with it. This bank holiday will be mainly spent with my leg up, studying (OU and work gubbins) and thinking about how I should do my food preps a bit more sensibly!

I did manage to pick up a load of those Mugshot cup noodle things in Aldi yesterday for 49p each. It's one of their central aisle food offers. Small enough to fit in my backpack - the only way I can carry anything while on crutches.
jooqey

Post by jooqey »

What preps am i doing this week? Well im new to this so ive started with the very essentials, water and food. I bought a british berkefeld water filter with spares, and ive been looking at lifestraws and datrex water pouches and food biscuits. Ive also been looking at dried foods and seeds. Am i being a total prepping school boy? Any advice is very welcome
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Bully beef chunks with sweet chilli sauce on a bed of rice..... Ahhhh.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jooqey wrote:What preps am i doing this week? Well im new to this so ive started with the very essentials, water and food. I bought a british berkefeld water filter with spares, and ive been looking at lifestraws and datrex water pouches and food biscuits. Ive also been looking at dried foods and seeds. Am i being a total prepping school boy? Any advice is very welcome
Good stuff, a useful mantra when it comes to food is 'store what you eat, eat what you store' and this will vary. It also depends on what kind of thing you're prepping for, as in do you plan on staying put or running to the hills etc. How long do you prep for and maybe most critically, how big is your prepping budget.

I think a fair few of us used a bit of a shotgun approach and tried to cover all bases after reading up, figure out what YOUR prepping priorities are and work towards them. I'd say you're right to start with the basics of food and water. Whether you'll be happy with tinned food and other 'normal' supplies or require dried foods (have a look at the dehydrator threads on here if that's something you're thinking about). Something to cook on might be handy too. Good luck with it.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jooqey, a bit of water stored ready-to-drink, so to speak - 2l cheapo stuff from any supermarket - is a great thing to have if its a broken water main or something. The water company could be slow in getting a bowser out, everybody else might be there first if you don't get home till late, it might have been vandalised or just run out ... simple access first is a good thing.

Own preps: readying for a trip away, plus carrying on getting my hedges back in order. That provides me with fresh growing space - thats how badly overgrown they were :oops:

Oh, and I was at our local annual boot sale run by the Rotary Club this morning - one litre kilner jars for 50p each :D I'm a happy bunny.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Oh, and I was at our local annual boot sale run by the Rotary Club this morning - one litre kilner jars for 50p each :D I'm a happy bunny.

Score... :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.