What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
shocker

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by shocker »

Found it ! Bought two unhilted knives for £3.50 - his'n'hers, the only way I could get away with it 8-)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:On the subject of cheapo things from China, anyone used gearbest? Lots of cool stuff on there, I ordered a little old timer style knife off there the other day as a test, only cost six quid shipped.
Few horror stories with them online but seem to be a lot of good reviews too, just wondering if anyone has any experience of them.
How that is done I have no idea, it would probably cost me more than that to send a letter to China!
AliExpress.com has been suggested to me as an alternative to the usual but I've not tried them. Maybe another option.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Ali express is not that great these days, it was good a few years ago. Gearbest and a few others are better now. I will try and find the names of some and post them up.

Oh, I just made some breakfast cereal loosely based on this recipe...

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5102/hon ... opRecipe_5

...the flapjack recipes on there are good inspiration. Homemade survival food, very cheap and stores a long time too.
ClericalError

Post by ClericalError »

Eating weeds (very Lenten). I've discovered that I really like bittercress, at least the variety I found, cleavers steam OK, and I would have to be literally starving to eat dandelion leaves again, even steamed after soaking in several different changes of water.
I mean LITERALLY literally starving, not just "darling, I was literally starving, could barely lift a finger to get my wallet out in Starbucks."

I also got some non-thickened bleach to add in minute quantities to stored water, having realised from this forum that using the thickened stuff for that is a dumb idea. (Thanks guys!)
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

So wife has just done her usual 'going to grow some veggies this year' announcement. Our garden is given over to trees and flowers and shrubs, so she normally tries to grow them in tubs or potato stack things.

I dont answers, but grab a can of spray paint, walk outside and draw a rectangle on an area of lawn about 5 foot by 4 foot, walk back in and say - "if your going to do it, lets do it right, but start off small. Thats the new vegetable patch. We will throw down some railway sleepers, and make it nice and high, and fill it with soil, and you can see how you get on."

She is doing a little dance talking about carrots and potatoes and lettuce etc. I am sitting there thinking 'prepping' - and if it works (it does not all die as per previous years) then we can expand it, as I have put it in a space with expansion options.

So, time to google building a raised vegetable patch.
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

ClericalError wrote: I also got some non-thickened bleach to add in minute quantities to stored water, having realised from this forum that using the thickened stuff for that is a dumb idea. (Thanks guys!)
Make sure you check the concentration of the bleach as a lot of the thin bleaches are only around 1% sodium hypochlorite compared to 4-5% for the more premium thickened bleaches. It just means you will have to add more to the water to acheive the same effect.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
shocker

Post by shocker »

Be bold, get bleached for life - 25 litres of high concentrate sodium hypo is available from farmers suppliers/grain merchants and the like for 7 quid or less. Diluted to a sensible level thats, well, lots.

Careful how you pour it though the tiniest speck of a splash will show as a white spot on your clobber after the next wash. As all my clothes will testify. Or something. :?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jaffab wrote:So wife has just done her usual 'going to grow some veggies this year' announcement. Our garden is given over to trees and flowers and shrubs, so she normally tries to grow them in tubs or potato stack things.

I dont answers, but grab a can of spray paint, walk outside and draw a rectangle on an area of lawn about 5 foot by 4 foot, walk back in and say - "if your going to do it, lets do it right, but start off small. Thats the new vegetable patch. We will throw down some railway sleepers, and make it nice and high, and fill it with soil, and you can see how you get on."

She is doing a little dance talking about carrots and potatoes and lettuce etc. I am sitting there thinking 'prepping' - and if it works (it does not all die as per previous years) then we can expand it, as I have put it in a space with expansion options.

So, time to google building a raised vegetable patch.

Why raise it? Started mine at ground level I used a old rabbit run not grass...

Find a good weed killer (not path clear) and spray the grass off eg
Glyphosate

Once dead dig if over well add some compost and a few slack handfuls of fish blood and bone meal.. Rake over and cover with polythene for a week or so (helps warm the soil)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14354
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Why raise it? Started mine at ground level I used a old rabbit run not grass...
A few reasons....

1) Our soil sucks. It will be a lot easier to have a large walled area where we can put decent soil. If we dig better soil into the ground, all the chalk and stones still rise and it is a nightmare again
2) It adds a feature (height) to the garden so will look better - might paint it a bright colour to add a 'feature'
3) If it does not work (or wife loses interest) then I can take the soil away, the wood away, and then replant some grass seed to take it back to lawn a lot easier than having to dig out any spuds to stop them growing through again.

Plan to put a membrane down over the existing grass to kill it/put the new soil on. If when I take it away, below the membrane is a nice flat area ready for grass seed.
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Yorkshire Andy wrote::o bargain.

Need a longer hose for mine as it won't reach to the hose supplier tomorrow ;)

The intercept isn't the best design but it works I've nut and bolted it to the pipe

Well I got hose got it all hooked up slung a bucket of water in to stop it blowing away.

Well just been told its raining by Mrs Andy. Like a kid boots on to stare at the good stream of water filling the barrel just need to check it doesn't overflow when full if we get enough rain
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine