Starting to bug in

How are you preparing
Sarah-Kate

Starting to bug in

Post by Sarah-Kate »

Hi there,

Having nearly done my bug out bag. Plus my 82 year old mums how cool is that!

Really looking into bugging I now. Just started buying food and plans in place for water butt and filtration. Read some really great information here and on the book I downloaded.

Thinking about learning how to fish as I live by a river.

So much information sometimes I have to take a break. So enjoying this :D :D
Jamesey1981

Re: Starting to bug in

Post by Jamesey1981 »

When it comes to learning to fish you can spend a lifetime, but if you want to learn the basics of rod and line fishing then Graeme Pullen (he's been an angling journalist for decades) does a show on YouTube called the totally awesome fishing show, goes from basics right up to catching record breaking sharks and him and his son mike are really likeable guys so it's easy to learn from them.

That's a fun hobby and you could catch fish for the table, (carp are very tasty from running water, if you're allowed to take them, check the rules for your piece of river.) do also check whether you need a permit or be a member of a club to fish in your river, it's not always obvious, you'll definitely need a rod license, came from the post office last time I had one, I've only been sea fishing for a few years so I haven't needed one.
If you're planning on learning to fish for survival then you'll want to learn how to make and use fish traps and nets, but you won't be able to practice the use of them in a river though as I think it's prohibited near enough everywhere.
You can still learn the skills though and put them into practice if you need to.

One thing that it really is worth looking into is whether there are American Signal Crayfish in your stretch of water, they're an invasive species that escaped from farms and do untold damage to our rivers, and consequently they need to be got rid of but they're also really tasty, so if they are in your local river then grab yourself a permit (think the environment agency issues them), it's a small fee and they'll want to make sure you can tell an American crayfish from a native. Then grab a couple of folding prawn traps and you'll have a free supply of something that you'd pay a whole bunch of money for! :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Sarah-Kate

Post by Sarah-Kate »

Jamesey1981 wrote:When it comes to learning to fish you can spend a lifetime, but if you want to learn the basics of rod and line fishing then Graeme Pullen (he's been an angling journalist for decades) does a show on YouTube called the totally awesome fishing show, goes from basics right up to catching record breaking sharks and him and his son mike are really likeable guys so it's easy to learn from them.

That's a fun hobby and you could catch fish for the table, (carp are very tasty from running water, if you're allowed to take them, check the rules for your piece of river.) do also check whether you need a permit or be a member of a club to fish in your river, it's not always obvious, you'll definitely need a rod license, came from the post office last time I had one, I've only been sea fishing for a few years so I haven't needed one.
If you're planning on learning to fish for survival then you'll want to learn how to make and use fish traps and nets, but you won't be able to practice the use of them in a river though as I think it's prohibited near enough everywhere.
You can still learn the skills though and put them into practice if you need to.

One thing that it really is worth looking into is whether there are American Signal Crayfish in your stretch of water, they're an invasive species that escaped from farms and do untold damage to our rivers, and consequently they need to be got rid of but they're also really tasty, so if they are in your local river then grab yourself a permit (think the environment agency issues them), it's a small fee and they'll want to make sure you can tell an American crayfish from a native. Then grab a couple of folding prawn traps and you'll have a free supply of something that you'd pay a whole bunch of money for! :)

Great I'll get on YouTube and check it out! Good advice on checking for permission etc. I run down there so can ask the local fisherman :D

Cheers :P
bettersafethansorry

Post by bettersafethansorry »

Some great traps you can set in the water that are so easy to make rather than spending time out with rod.... unless of course you enjoy that sort of thing..

Check our survival guides or youtube you will find loads :D

i LIKE THIS ONE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rq9MtKQHNo
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill