Night bug out debrief

How are you preparing
Trojanhorse

Re: Night bug out debrief

Post by Trojanhorse »

Captain Darling wrote:Old Swiss army smocks were designed to carry all their kit, including mags, grenades, knife and all the other bits and bobs. There was a daysack attachment that clipped to the smock instead of regular shoulder straps. Not so good for the sleeping side of things but with a softie suit and thermals underneath?

Also sniper suits (not ghille suits)? Some companies make sleeping bag suits, so you can sleep in whatever position you like.
You mean a onesie :)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Nothing wrong with a onesie, I wear a cow one sometimes to blend in and sneak up on the bunnies, if you're going to try it make sure there's no bull in with them, I'm still having to sit on a rubber ring....
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Nothing wrong with a onesie, I wear a cow one sometimes to blend in and sneak up on the bunnies, if you're going to try it make sure there's no bull in with them, I'm still having to sit on a rubber ring....
Someone's been watching 'Top Secret' recently, go on admit it. :lol:
Captain Darling wrote:Old Swiss army smocks were designed to carry all their kit, including mags, grenades, knife and all the other bits and bobs. There was a daysack attachment that clipped to the smock instead of regular shoulder straps. Not so good for the sleeping side of things but with a softie suit and thermals underneath?

Also sniper suits (not ghille suits)? Some companies make sleeping bag suits, so you can sleep in whatever position you like.
My mate had one that he kept in the back of the car, I'd forgotten about it to be honest. I think it was quite a light tog but hey, better than nothing. He did look a bit of a dick in it though. :lol:
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

I want one!

Imageupload foto
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I think you probably had one. But your mum would put you in it and then lay you in yer pram.. :mrgreen:
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

diamond lil wrote:I think you probably had one. But your mum would put you in it and then lay you in yer pram.. :mrgreen:

Before my time but yeah mine all had em :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

BlinkingCory wrote:I want one!

Imageupload foto
Do NASA know they've got that? :D
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

sethorly wrote:Thanks - yeh I don't think a torch would be necessary, perhaps a tiny LED for map reading. I've walked at night throughout my life and can't remember needing a torch even under a deciduous canopy with not much moon. I'm sure dense coniferous would be different. Probably more useful than a torch would be a good pair of binoculars, but they would be heavy. Binos are great for seeing at night as they collect an awful lot more light than eyeballs.
OK. Torches, LEDs, pretzels etc are all fab and groovy until you want to maintain night vision at which point you want red light, not torches or anything that uses 'white' light

An old rear light for a bicycle does the job. Well, it does for my telescoping................
Knowledge is power
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

Hmmmmm - got me thinking if I need a GetMeHome kit, or if it is over kill.

Playing out different scenarios in my head, and my thought process is....

1) When I am away from the home, I am generally in London. Otherwise I am in Scotland visiting Father In Law
2) In 90% of the scenarios I can think of, getting home would be a more of a question of throwing cash at the problem (or equivalent)
3) Would I try and walk from London back to Home? Possibly - but I would be wearing the wrong shoes, so again, it would be a question of being able to purchase the right shoes.. which leads me onto the 'throw cash at it' solution.

Which leads me to thought that the most critical thing for me in a GetMeHome situation is information. Information that something is going down, and that I need to get moving NOW.

Not sure of the best method of being alerted that the SHTF has started, and to get out. Regular news sources are fairly terrible at such alerts, (more interested in what Film Stars are up to, and which MP is fiddling expenses etc.
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

Jaffab, i was in that situation yesterday.

Rushed hard across town via the tube to get back to waterloo, got there to find massive disruption due to 2 fatalities on the lines so only a few trains running - it was grab a cab from there to home and take the ££ pain or wait about, look for information and make a decision to get on the first train out that got me as close to where I live so wifey could collect me.

there are 3 things I didn't have that i wished I did..

1 - wooly hat - even at waterloo its cold on the concourse platform - when i travelled out I thought, nah, wont need it - now i have a spare one in my commute rucksack
2 - practical shoes - the business stylee ones with leather soles look nice when polished but no good for walking any real distance - now i have a very comfy but old pair of trainers in the rucksack that i can squash down small - these would be ok for a few miles to get me out of the ground zero situation so i could regroup and buy time
3- information - no one at SW trains knew what was/not running to where it was going, I took a punt (so did everyone else though and the train was rammed) - in the absence of information I got out as fast as i could before the station filled up at rush hour and was lucky

You're right about information, powerless without it but with bits of it you can cobble together something to make an informed decision - had the sheeple done that there's no way i'd of made that train, a few mates working up there got home at 10.00, i was in by 5.00...