Night bug out debrief

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: Night bug out debrief

Post by Deeps »

BlinkingCory wrote:
diamond lil wrote:Think of the tramps that used to be all over the place 50 years ago. They didnt sleep rough if there was a barn or ruined farm building nearby. They would camp in ruined cottages and build a fire, and hide behind the stone walls for shelter. We had many of them years ago, I don't see many now. But they lived permanently outdoors and they didnt have camping gear and tents..
When I was a kid we had a local tramp called Gerald.
He used to sleep sometimes in our coalhouse. He'd never take a drink or food if offered but they'd disappear if left nearby.
I discovered when I was a teen that he was a ww2 veteran.
In hindsight, many tramps from that age were probably ww2 vets, suffering ptsd.
My old man was a school janny for the last 20 odd years of his working life and we lived in the grounds, for a few years we had a 'gentleman of the road' who every now and then crashed in some of the bushes, my dad had a chat with him the first time he appeared and was happy enough with the chap, that was it, as long as he was out the way before the school kids came in (which he did) then he was welcome. With hindsight he would have probably been a WW2 vet. There's a frightening percentage of homeless are ex forces, I think historically they were WW2 vets but most saddening, we've got a new batch, I'm not sure its just the PTSD ones, I think some of the younger ones just don't know how to live 'outside', its definitely something that should be part of resettlement, how to sort out rent, lecky etc. Its the least we can do, teaching the basics of being a 'civvy'.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

diamond lil wrote:Think of the tramps that used to be all over the place 50 years ago. They didnt sleep rough if there was a barn or ruined farm building nearby. They would camp in ruined cottages and build a fire, and hide behind the stone walls for shelter. We had many of them years ago, I don't see many now. But they lived permanently outdoors and they didnt have camping gear and tents..
Milestone men we used to call them, counting the milestones along the road. I never thought of them possibly being ex services, I always thought they just didn't want to settle. One chap was fixed to one place and lived in a ruined hut at the side of one of the back roads for years, I think in the end it was mainly made of bracken stuffed into the holes. When he died the council levelled it to prevent anybody else moving in.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

I have really enjoyed reading this thread, it's given me a lot to think about.

I've never thought of a bug out jacket. I like the concept, going to give it some thought.

Reading the comments about something to keep the heat from escaping into the ground, have you considered throwing some ferns/leaves etc to form a bit of a 'bed'? As your Tarp is 3x3m you could shorten the usable length of it and fold it over laying onto of the bed to keep you dry at the back of the basha.

I only suggest that as I done that very thing on a field exercise when I was in my own basha and it had been raining.

As for travelling at night, if visibility is good with natural light I would always travel at night and rest during the day when it's warmer.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Good thread. Do like the coat idea. I have thought along those lines myself. I tend to have a small rucksack style shoulder bag that I use everyday. As a lass, I can get away with carrying a bag about everywhere! Having said that, sometimes I don't want to and I have resorted to filling my various coat's pockets with all sorts of useful things. Whenever I have to buy a new coat or bag, I am always checking its weight and how easy it is to store EDC and GHB stuff in. I never buy a cloth bag - I always buy something that the rain won't soak into. A new coat has to have lots of "onboard storage". However, my coat just is an ordinary looking rainproof "dog walking" type coat and my bag is just a lady's back wearing bag. *grin* Your thread has reminded me that I do need to practice fire lighting. I am acutely aware that is not as easy as all that. I have a box of matches with cotton wall inside but its about building up the other stuff and keeping it going. I confess to not having been very good at it. Think its time to watch some Utube vids ...
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

I have seen a jacket which folds into a sleeping bag, its made by homeless people for homeless people in america, ultimate bug out kit.
Mark. :geek:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

medicmark wrote:I have seen a jacket which folds into a sleeping bag, its made by homeless people for homeless people in america, ultimate bug out kit.
Mark. :geek:
You got a link or anything mate, that sounds pretty smart. I've seen things like it in the past but always thought they were a bit 'gimicky', happy to be proved wrong if anyone has any experience of them rather than my armchair prejudices. :lol:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Here you go Deeps. I was looking at it a while back and bookmarked it.

http://mashable.com/2016/11/29/coat-des ... 8oH_Y0e8qC
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:Here you go Deeps. I was looking at it a while back and bookmarked it.

http://mashable.com/2016/11/29/coat-des ... 8oH_Y0e8qC
Cheers missus, that does look a bit more practical than some of the other ones I've seen. I like the 'bedroll' aspect to it. Seems to be a worth cause too.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I like it, I wonder if anyone os dishing them out in the UK?
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Old Swiss army smocks were designed to carry all their kit, including mags, grenades, knife and all the other bits and bobs. There was a daysack attachment that clipped to the smock instead of regular shoulder straps. Not so good for the sleeping side of things but with a softie suit and thermals underneath?

Also sniper suits (not ghille suits)? Some companies make sleeping bag suits, so you can sleep in whatever position you like.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.