Bugging out at night during winter

How are you preparing
Trojanhorse

Re: Bugging out at night during winter

Post by Trojanhorse »

MY thoughts!

1) Tell someone where you are in case you don't come back.
2) You say you not done any night hikes- do some first. I did a 11 miler on my own a month back and it was hard going due to a lack of experience.
3) Try Bugging out in better weather first!

Otherwise good luck!
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

THRCNBEONLY1 wrote:Hope all are well.

In a few weeks time I have set aside a few days to check on my winter skills and was looking for some advice on a few things if at all possible.

In a nut shell; I've never 'bugged-out' at night before during winter. Plenty of winter camps under my belt, but these have always been extremely well prepared for. So I will be getting dropped off approx 5 miles away from my intended overnight spot around 9pm and have limited equipment to simulate a last minute retreat.

Plan is to take backups with me, so I will have a tent and my sleeping bag (good to minus 20) however I will be taking no food (see below), fuel or water with me. Hoping to keep the kit to under 10kg but I'm not fussed about weight as this is the first attempt at doing something like this.

Essentially I want to gain some experience in setting up camp in darkness. Main shelter will be a tarp.

Can anyone offer any advice or experience with doing this sort of thing? For example, the order in which you would begin setting up the camp, and where you would say priority lies.

The aim is to practice all the usual aspects, but at night and in winter (and no modern tools)

- Fire, will only be possible through flint or hand drill, and there will be no dry tinder available (potentially silver birch, but I'm not sure)
- Food, might sound silly, but I don't agree with hunting unless it is necessary so I will be carrying meat with me to simulate fresh kills. Plan is to eat some, but preserve the rest for the following night. No utensils to cook with.
- Shelter, will be tarp only however tent for backup.

If anyone can suggest other skills that should be practiced in this sort of environment it would be helpful. As rich as this forum is on information there isn't much in the sense of practical suggestions - skills that should be practiced BEFORE a survival situation presents itself. For example, the hand drill method took me years to get just right and even now I am not confident of being able to do it in winter dampness.

I reckon the whole affair will be hard going but I'm taking all available pro-cautions in the event I luck out and find myself in a proper SHTF situation. I just want to try and make the whole thing as real as possible without becoming life threatening. Scotlands' winter can be a very unforgiving. So any help will be appreciated.

If there is any interest I will post up something after I've completed the weekend and let you know how I get on.

Thanks in advance

Good luck to everyone.
Sounds interesting,

Locally I have found a dilapidated brick building / garage? I've done several surveys of the site and located my trail cam to check out if its being used or visited by others, Ive asked around and no one seems to know who owns it including the local council, as far as I can tell its structurally safe and as it 4 walls and a roof I fancy bugging out for at least one night in Dec, the only concern is its full of un useful junk and if its being used by vagrants........ and or be accused of being one!??!?!?

NB, A disclaimer.... I would like to point out that I am no way Hobophobic ......

Be Warm, Citizen "H"
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

A couple of bits which I find useful for night movement.

1; If you are going off the track e.g. where there are no street lights or artificial lighting take a red filter for your torch. It reduces the visible length of your light but will enable you to keep your night vision at full strength, this will keep you safer as you will be able to see your footing and spot potential hazards easier. The other advantage is it will not alert others as easily to your location. If you do have to use a white light close an eye when you use it. That way when you turn it off you will still have one eye with good night vision allowing you to move off faster.

2; Whilst you said you have plenty of water where you are heading and have a lot of out door experience I would still take a bottle of water with you in your back up kit just in case. If it freezes and you can't get your fire started at least you've still something to sup on.

3; Build up to the main bug out. If you have the chance recce the route during the day, early evening and once at night but without kit. Note potential risks, route markers (which will be visible at night) so when you do the actual bug out you'll have a better understanding. After all if SHTF and we have to bug out 95% of us will already have known locations we wish to bug out to.

4; I know it's been mentioned, but something to sleep on to protect your body heat. Before the inflatable roll mats we are issued with now I used to use an old yoga mat as it was small, compact and gave me the same protection as the issued roll mats.

Hope it helps and good luck, I look forward to reading how it goes.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
Maver1ck

Post by Maver1ck »

Pre attaching bungees and legs to each corner of your tarp would allow for a quick set up!

I have the same set up on my Basha and can have it up ready to go in 20 seconds at night with minimal to zero light!

I'm assuming youve already done this dude ... just wondered how you got on ?!
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

THRCNBEONLY1 has reported his endeavours in the How are you preparing subforum. I really appreciate what he's done because it's led to good discussions. And any Highlander reference is cool with me.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======