Preps for Christmas

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: Preps for Christmas

Post by Deeps »

yorkshirewolf wrote:
Kentsurvival wrote:ahh xmas already haha, I good idea (thats fun for us as well) is to make a small / low cost survival kit / bug out bag or emergency car kit as a gift to those that would not think to make one themselves. The car kit is a good one as they can always have it nearby and to a non prepare doesn't sound so 'mad' and 'doomsday' like.
This is a good idea, but i've tried giving non-preppers, prepper type gifts and they've looked at me like i've got three heads, that is of course until they find they need that de-icer, warm gloves and hat in the car :oops:

I bought my wife a small SAK to go on her keys once and she looked at me with almost disgust! - uses it all the time now and tells her mates how thoughtful it was :lol:
I got Her Maj a smally SAK years ago to much rolling of eyes, this was before I was 'officially' a prepper (or had even heard the term) and she carried it for a short while and then it disappeared. I'm thinking that now she's at least open to the idea this could be a good 'zombie' present for her. Thanks for the inspiration.

yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Deeps wrote:
yorkshirewolf wrote:
Kentsurvival wrote:ahh xmas already haha, I good idea (thats fun for us as well) is to make a small / low cost survival kit / bug out bag or emergency car kit as a gift to those that would not think to make one themselves. The car kit is a good one as they can always have it nearby and to a non prepare doesn't sound so 'mad' and 'doomsday' like.
This is a good idea, but i've tried giving non-preppers, prepper type gifts and they've looked at me like i've got three heads, that is of course until they find they need that de-icer, warm gloves and hat in the car :oops:

I bought my wife a small SAK to go on her keys once and she looked at me with almost disgust! - uses it all the time now and tells her mates how thoughtful it was :lol:
I got Her Maj a smally SAK years ago to much rolling of eyes, this was before I was 'officially' a prepper (or had even heard the term) and she carried it for a short while and then it disappeared. I'm thinking that now she's at least open to the idea this could be a good 'zombie' present for her. Thanks for the inspiration.

I think the reason she liked it was because i searched for one with tools i know she (and i'd imagine most) ladies will use:

scissors, nail file, toothpick (simple but highly prized!) small blade, nice and small and easy to have on keys. - you can even get them engraved/personalised.

Happy wife, happy life! :lol:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Just ordered a mini swisslite for pretty much the reasons you've said mate.

http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/swisslite ... oCrArw_wcB

I've proved over the years I'm not the mind reader she expects so it can't be any worse than the kitchenware i bought her last year. :lol: There is a back story to that in my defence.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

The trouble with asking all and sundry for prepping gifts is that they might guess you're a prepper. Op Sec compromised immediately, and a whole load of unwanted house guests when the SHTF. I think we have to be subtle about this; we need plausible, ordinary excuses for the preps we want. My favourite at the moment is my planned camping/walking holiday next summer, during the course of which I shall be testing my BOB, recceing ways out from the inner city, and suitable waypoint locations to rest up, and suitable alternative permanent bug out locations. But no-one needs to know those ulterior motives, except me, and now you guys... Camping can be just that, holidays can be just that, walking can be just that, vanilla (if a little eccentric) reasons to want this or that bit of gear.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

I only ever ask family for prepping related gifts, secrecy isn't an issue there cos SWMBO would give them everything we have any way and then wonder why we were living on toenail clippings and grass.

as to christmas specific preps the most important one I can think of is to hide her credit card. :lol:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

2ndRateMind wrote:The trouble with asking all and sundry for prepping gifts is that they might guess you're a prepper. Op Sec compromised immediately, and a whole load of unwanted house guests when the SHTF. I think we have to be subtle about this; we need plausible, ordinary excuses for the preps we want. My favourite at the moment is my planned camping/walking holiday next summer, during the course of which I shall be testing my BOB, recceing ways out from the inner city, and suitable waypoint locations to rest up, and suitable alternative permanent bug out locations. But no-one needs to know those ulterior motives, except me, and now you guys... Camping can be just that, holidays can be just that, walking can be just that, vanilla (if a little eccentric) reasons to want this or that bit of gear.

Best wishes, 2RM.
That's the beauty of vouchers, Amazon are probably the most anonymous but as you say, if you like outdoor activities its easy to 'justify' some of the toys. If you like homebrew or cooking or whatever you can maybe ask for vouchers for an outside pizza oven or whatever. DIY.....

There's ways and means while being discrete.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

I just love home cooking and home brewing... They save me money I can spend on preps :D

Best wishes, 2RM.
Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Well, how did we all get on then ?

I got that Ladybird book of the zombie apocalypse, very informative and a 50 quid amazon voucher. Other non prepping stuff but the best of that was a wine kit, we've got most the stuff we need from making cider so I'll be giving it a go. Her Maj seemed moderately pleased with her small SAK with a built in light, looks quite bright too.

Come on, let us know what you all got. Oh and Merry Festive thingy. :)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Merry Christmas one and all. :)

Cash here, and cash given too, impersonal maybe but everyone can get what they want first time. :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote:Merry Christmas one and all. :)

Cash here, and cash given too, impersonal maybe but everyone can get what they want first time. :lol:
We got cash off my folks too, common sense says we should earmark at least a chunk of it for a new vacuum cleaner but we've also go an all day sesh coming up with some friends that might take a chunk out of it. :lol: Decisions, decisions. Cash is the best though, as you say, no buying stuff that's not quite right.