So, now we are getting a new US President...

How are you preparing
Jamesey1981

Re: So, now we are getting a new US President...

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Just a quick note on water filters, things like the sawyer are great for camping in the uk and Europe, as all you really need to worry about is bacterial contamination, but they don't filter out viruses, and in a situation where you're using a bug out bag there's a good chance a lot of the natural water sources are going to be contaminated with human waste, and you may not be able to tell, or you may even be bugging out due to a virus!
Lots of properly horrible viral diseases can be water borne, so make sure a bug out bag contains means to boil or chemically treat water as well as a filter, and potassium permanganate isn't good enough, does the job fine for bacterial contamination but it'll often only kill viruses when in a concentration that would make it toxic to us too, the effectiveness of it varies so much depending on the conditions and virus involved that it can't be relied on.

2RM, I know you have pots in your bag so you might well have already thought of this so it's not directed at you specifically, just something I'm mentioning since we're on the subject.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Just a quick note on water filters, things like the sawyer are great for camping in the uk and Europe, as all you really need to worry about is bacterial contamination, but they don't filter out viruses, and in a situation where you're using a bug out bag there's a good chance a lot of the natural water sources are going to be contaminated with human waste, and you may not be able to tell, or you may even be bugging out due to a virus!
Good point! This would seem to be an appropriate solution, then.

Best wishes, 2RM
Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Or MSR Aquatabs. (Couldn't make the link work. You'll have to google).

Cheers, 2RM
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Nice filters those, they do put out nice tasting water as well, mate of mine has one.
That combination would certainly do the job, and be pretty convenient, those tabs are chlorine dioxide I think, I use the same but a different brand, not that they're better, just depends which are cheaper when I need more.

My choice personally if I was making up a bug out bag, (I don't have one made up for reasons I mention in the thread about just that, but I could make one if I needed to) would be a millbank bag and then boil or use the tablets, no limited life filters to worry about that way, that depends on personal choice and how long you expect to be living out of your bag though.

There's a company called browns bushcraft that make millbank bags to the original MOD spec but without one of the preserving chemicals that MIGHT be iffy, and as they're brand new you know they've never been used to filter engine oil or something horrible, army mechanics are pretty resourceful so you can bet a few of them have!
Worth a look if you fancy adding one to your kit as a backup, they don't weigh a lot when they're dry.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So far, so good. Here's the last of my lists; Navigation, Admin and Miscellaneous.

1 x Silva compass
1 x relevant set of os maps

1 x photo ID (passport and/or driving licence, etc)
1 x address ID (recent bank statement, utility bill, etc)
1 x duplicate set of all your important keys
1 x wallet with some cash and a £0 balance credit card
1 x mobile phone and charger
1 x wind-up radio
1 x wind-up torch
1 x watch
1 x waterproof notepad with notes of: telephone numbers, insurance details, disguised credit card PINS & interweb account passwords, any ongoing medical prescriptions etc
1 x waterproof pen
1 x camping knife (opinels are as good as any, and hold a keen blade)
1 x multitool
1 x lightweight binoculars

Nice to have maintenance stuff (but not if your pack's already too heavy):

1 x Boot cleaning kit
1 x Sewing kit
1 x Knife honing stone

Best wishes, 2RM.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So, here's my supper tonight; a proper prepper recipe, for chilli con carne.

Equipment:

Cooking knife
Chopping block
2 saucepans (ideally with lids)
1 can-opener
1 teaspoon
1 measuring jug
2 cooking rings

Ingredients (serves 4):

2 x medium onions, chopped*.
2 x tablespoons sunflower oil*.
1 x teaspoon each of spices, like cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, etc, whatever you fancy and have*.
1 x 400g can of Asda minced beef and onions.
1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes.
1 x 400g can of kidney beans.
1 x teaspoon of crushed chillies, or hot chilli powder, or a handful of chopped fresh or frozen chillies if you have them available.
200ml rice per person.
1 x some salt, for the rice.

Method:

Fry down the chopped onions in an oiled saucepan. Add the spices, and fry some more.
Add the minced beef, and bring to a simmer, and do that for five minutes.
Add the tomatoes and kidney beans, and bring back to the simmer.
Put the rice in a separate saucepan with salted water and bring to the boil. Then simmer.
Add the crushed, powdered or fresh chilli to the meat mixture, and keep simmering.
When the rice is done, it's all done.

Why not just buy 4 x canned chilli con carne? Because this way you can integrate the spices to suit your palate, and a good cook-up is good for morale.

Cheers, 2RM.

*optional, but recommended.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Easy to play around with that recipe. For instance, I prefer a can of mixed spicey beans to kidney beans, and you can start with chopping up and frying a chorizo sausage then do the rest of it. It's a great family comfort food!
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

sethorly wrote:Easy to play around with that recipe. For instance, I prefer a can of mixed spicey beans to kidney beans, and you can start with chopping up and frying a chorizo sausage then do the rest of it. It's a great family comfort food!
Indeed. If you are fortunate enough to have a local Polish delicatessen near you (and who in the UK isn't, in these last few remaining enlightened EU days!) you will find plenty of alternative sausages, smoked and unsmoked, to tempt you!

Cheers, 2RM
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Well, I'm away now, to visit nearest and dearest for the festivities. May you all have a very merry preppy Christmas!

Best wishes, 2RM.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

2ndRateMind wrote:Next, moving on to the shelter list...
This guy.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7B4BO8m3ek

.....shows how you could get your whole sleep system down to just over 1.6 kg.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======