So, now we are getting a new US President...

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: So, now we are getting a new US President...

Post by diamond lil »

I've got an "emergency hospital admission" bag, and I think I'm going to add a lot to it after reading your post. I don't know why I never thought of it before lol, must be slipping :mrgreen:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

diamond lil wrote:I've got an "emergency hospital admission" bag, and I think I'm going to add a lot to it after reading your post. I don't know why I never thought of it before lol, must be slipping :mrgreen:
I find it's always good to read people's posts despite having the discussed item already. I am always finding little nuggets to add to my own.

Always learning. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

diamond lil wrote:I've got an "emergency hospital admission" bag, and I think I'm going to add a lot to it after reading your post. I don't know why I never thought of it before lol, must be slipping :mrgreen:

Just don't forget the medicinal whisky... :D

Best wishes, 2RM
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So, I just ordered the last items on my list of essentials. Now, all I need to do is pay off the credit cards. But I'll worry about that after Christmas. For the moment, I'm just waiting on the deliveries that will render me pretty much self-reliant in the event of a Trump/Brexit/populist destruction of the progressive liberal order that has served most of us, if not well, at least reasonably, since the end of the last world war. And if that deterioration of civilisation does not happen (and I hope it doesn't), well, it doesn't matter. I'm feeling the confidence of solid individual resilience, and it's a good feeling to have.

Cheers, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

2ndRateMind wrote:So, I just ordered the last items on my list of essentials. Now, all I need to do is pay off the credit cards. But I'll worry about that after Christmas. For the moment, I'm just waiting on the deliveries that will render me pretty much self-reliant in the event of a Trump/Brexit/populist destruction of the progressive liberal order that has served most of us, if not well, at least reasonably, since the end of the last world war. And if that deterioration of civilisation does not happen (and I hope it doesn't) well, it doesn't matter. I'm feeling the confidence of solid individual resilience, and it's a good feeling to have.

Cheers, 2RM.
:lol:

We need a like button. I'm the same, I prep hoping that I won't need it loving the world I live in. I appreciate that not everybody is as happy with their lot around the world, or even in the UK but us soft Western types have it pretty sweet as a rule. 8-)

I hope you're happy with your preps, I always find something else to catch my eye, I suspect I always will. :lol: Thank good for the credit cards eh ? :oops:
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Deeps wrote:
I hope you're happy with your preps, I always find something else to catch my eye, I suspect I always will. :lol: Thank good for the credit cards eh ? :oops:
Yeah, I'm happy thus far. Like you, I am sure there will be things to buy later, but, for the moment, I've got the basics in place. Further purchases of gear will be stuff that's nice to have, rather than vital.

Here's the clothing list for the BOB. (The general idea is to have two sets of clothes, one for active travelling, which might get wet, and one for camp-wear and sleeping, that remains dry.)

Travel-wear, worn:

1 x Under armour shorts
1 x T Shirt
1 x 1000 mile Socks
1 x Jacket (I like the Jack Pyke 3 in 1 Hunter's Jacket)
1 x Trousers (British Army lightweights take a lot of beating, not waterproof, but quick to dry)
1 x Trouser belt (army 58 or 95 are both good)
1 x Boots

Camp and Cold-wear, in pack:

1 x Under armour shorts
1 x T shirt
1 x 1000 mile socks
2 x Ankle socks
1 x Norge army shirt
1 x Trousers
1 x Set of thermal underwear
1 x Snood
1 x gloves
1 x spare bootlaces
1 x compressing waterproof stuff sack

Cheers, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Got to say I'm a little jealous at your ability to throw so much money at it :oops: but I like your lists they give a practical idea of what anyone is up against.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Plymtom wrote:Got to say I'm a little jealous at your ability to throw so much money at it :oops:
I know it sounds expensive, if you buy top of the range everything at once. But I haven't been doing that, and don't recommend it as a strategy. I've been gradually accumulating kit in a desultory sort of fashion for the last twenty years, more actively for the last six or so, and now I'm just finishing off. And, as I mentioned, it's the credit cards that are taking the hit! If planet earth is headed for TEOTWAWKI, I won't need to worry about the debt. If it isn't, well, I've got a load of useful camping gear for my next holiday...
Plymtom wrote:but I like your lists they give a practical idea of what anyone is up against.
Thank you. That's the idea. But I still recommend to prioritise, buy wisely, and test, test, test, everything you buy.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

If you're not able to pay off the credit cards in one go, they can sting you for interest - please pop along to moneysavingexpert http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit ... edit-cards there's a list on that page of mainstream credit cards (Halifax, Virgin, etc) with 0% rates for 3 years and more, with a fee of just over 3%.

I haven't done that personally, but I do remember the relief I felt when I bought a good water filter - knowing that I'd therefore have a good start on a safe water supply if something really bad happened was a huge relief.

PS - loving the spare bootlaces :mrgreen: I think they're often overlooked :mrgreen:
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Thanks for the credit card tip, Arzosah. I'll have a look at that after Christmas, when I'll know exactly what the damage is.

Meanwhile, on water filters, I've swapped my lifestraw for this, which has a longer life capacity (455,000 litres, allegedly) and a more flexible operation, while still remaining light enough not to notice in the pack.

Cheers, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.