So, now we are getting a new US President...

How are you preparing
2ndRateMind

Re: So, now we are getting a new US President...

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Next, moving on to the shelter list...

1 x Karrimat
1 x Bivvy Bag
1 x Sleeping Bag
1 x Poncho/Groundsheet/Rainshelter
4 x extra Tent Pegs
4 x Bungees
2 x extendable Tent Poles

Comments:
Karrimat £6-15. Mine rolls. Others fold. Whatever, so long as you can fit it in or on your pack. Since most body heat loss night camping goes into the ground, and this insulates from that, it's a good thing to have, and light, if bulky, to carry.
Bivvy Bag £50-250 or more. Wide range of prices, but, if you have the money, it's worth getting something goretex (breathable and waterproof), with a built in groundsheet.
Sleeping bag £20-250 or more. My sleeping bag is only 2 season, but it's very light and compresses very small. When someone makes a 4 season with similar advantages, I'll be first in the queue to buy it. Meanwhile, on cold nights, I wear whatever dry clothes I have when I'm in it.
Poncho, etc £20 or so. Get a hooded one which works as discreet rainwear, but with eyelets and loops for pitching as a basha.
Tent Pegs, Bungees, Tent Poles. Probably another £25-50 altogether. Needed for quick and easy basha building.

The idea is to pitch the poncho as a basha wind/rain layer awning above the bivvy bag, keeping everything as dry as possible, and providing a sheltered space for camp activities like washing, cooking, cleaning etc.

Most of this stuff is best in black, olive green, DPM or MTP, rendering it as unobtrusive as possible in the field.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Omnes qui errant non pereunt
Not all who wander are lost
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Today's list is for first aid, medical and hygiene stuff. It's a pretty obvious list, and just as obviously will vary in detail from individual to individual. I provide this as an example, only.

1 x first aid kit.
1 x soap (in soap dish).
1 x toothbrush.
1 x tooth paste.
1 x 100ml shampoo.
1 x disposable razor.
1 x microfibre towel
1 x 1/2 roll toilet paper.
7 x days of any medications/pills you are on.
1 x pouch/wash bag.

Comments:

Loads of scope here, for marginal reductions in precious weight to carry, against the standard size of commercial packages, given only a 72hr requirement.

First aid kit. £10-20. For one person, a standard trekkers kit is probably adequate, although I have supplemented mine with blister stuff and paracetemol.
Soap. £1. Get the smallest, lightest bar you can. Otherwise, cut a normal bar into a smaller piece.
Toothbrush. £2. BCB do a good one, that stores into its handle to make it's case.
Toothpaste. £2. Your preferred variety, but you probably only need a small/half a tube.
Shampoo. £2-5. Your preferred variety, stored in a 250 ml nalgene bottle, or smaller.
Razor. £1. Or you could just not shave. If you do, soap is a perfectly adequate stubble softener, so you don't need shaving foam.
Toilet paper. £1. In a water-proof zip-loc plastic bag.
Prescribed Medications/pills. Just don't forget them, ever! Mine go in the first aid kit.
Pouch/Wash bag. £5-10. Apart from the first aid kit, which goes in my edc, which goes as the very top item in my pack in a bug out scenario, everything else should fit easily enough into a viper medium molle utility pouch, or similar.

Women's requirements may vary, but I can claim no first hand knowledge in respect of that.

Best wishes, 2RM
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

OK, so here's the cooking/eating list. Bear in mind it's basically only for heating up canned food, brewing tea and coffee, and boiling water, and not for a Sunday roast!

1 x Meths Cooker.
1 x 1 litre Methylated Spirits.
1 x set of Pots and a Pan. 1 x Pot grab.
1 x set of Mess Tins.
1 x Mug (already listed in hydration list).
1 x Knife/Fork/Spoon (KFS).
1 x Teaspoon.
1 x Can opener/Corkscrew/Bottle opener.
1 x (sharp) Cooking Knife.
1 x Collapsible Bowl.
1 x 100ml Washing up liguid.
1 x 1 each Washing up sponge/cloth/scourer.

All pretty self-explanatory. The only significant bone of contention might be the type of cooker you choose. Basically the options are gas, solid fuel, and meths. I prefer meths for outdoors; the Trangia stove is more stable than, say, a Camping Gaz Bluet, comes with it's own set of stackable cookware, and doesn't weigh much more. 'Hexy burners' require heavy and messy fuel.

Meanwhile, the collapsible bowl is a real luxury boon in the field, and gets used for washing, washing up, and water collection. A cooking knife like this one is not strictly necessary in a 72hr BOB, but could be very useful, particularly if you intend to supplement the rations with the occasional rabbit, pigeon or squirrel.

The washing up stuff all fits within the messtins, which will fit easily into a viper large molle utility pouch. The cutlery all will fit in a viper molle water bottle pouch, even with a 58 water bottle as well. Stove, pots and meths may fit in a bergen side pouch, depending on your choice of bergen. Or they may need to go in the main body of the pack.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Plymtom wrote:I'm the same, I've been looking into gaining height ;) you may find yourself back to the overweight level with the right footwear :oops:
I shouldn't worry too much about the BMI officially obese thing, a friend lost 22 stone over the last 3 years mainly through a lot of exercise, because muscle weighs heavy, officially he is still classed as obese at about 18 stone (he's tall too).. I think he needed to drop almost another 2 stone to loose that tag which just wasn't going to happen.
He is however super fit and looking better/ healthier than he has in 20 years.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

2ndRateMind wrote:
3 x 58 Pattern 1 litre Water Bottles
This guy...
http://www.mcqbushcraft.co.uk/2016/03/b ... -training/
...does a great review of hydration systems and water bottles. The trouble with plastic bottles is that you can't boil water with them.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

sethorly wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote:
3 x 58 Pattern 1 litre Water Bottles
This guy...
http://www.mcqbushcraft.co.uk/2016/03/b ... -training/
...does a great review of hydration systems and water bottles. The trouble with plastic bottles is that you can't boil water with them.

Thanks for that comment, sethorly. It's a really useful link.

Best wishes, 2RM.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

preparedsurrey wrote:
Plymtom wrote:I'm the same, I've been looking into gaining height ;) you may find yourself back to the overweight level with the right footwear :oops:
I shouldn't worry too much about the BMI officially obese thing, a friend lost 22 stone over the last 3 years mainly through a lot of exercise, because muscle weighs heavy, officially he is still classed as obese at about 18 stone (he's tall too).. I think he needed to drop almost another 2 stone to loose that tag which just wasn't going to happen.
Another supportive comment! I do like this forum! Nevertheless, I think I can lose a couple of stone and a couple of waistline inches, without any risk of wasting away, whatsoever!

Best wishes, 2RM.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

2ndRateMind wrote:
preparedsurrey wrote:
Another supportive comment! I do like this forum! Nevertheless, I think I can lose a couple of stone and a couple of waistline inches, without any risk of wasting away, whatsoever!

Best wishes, 2RM.
A better rough guide then BMI is your Wingspan to Waist ratio.
Your Wingspan (arms outstretched fingertip to fingertip) should be twice (or more) your Waist measurement (thats your real waist not your hips where us 'stout gentlemen' tend to wear our trousers :oops: ), mine is 1.69 so I need to lose a bit....... Or grow longer arms :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Try cutting out the carbs, since May I've lost 3 stone and 10 inches off my waist, no exercise at all ( heart problems), so add in the exercise and a greater loss is achievable.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
2ndRateMind

Post by 2ndRateMind »

OK, so here's another list. Of all the lists so far, this is the most tentative. It's the edc list, which lives in the top of my pack in a bug-out situation, and a 'grey man' satchel otherwise. It is not meant to be definitive or prescriptive, just descriptive of what I carry daily. Your comments are all welcome.

1 x Survival kit
1 x First Aid Kit
1 x Wind up Torch
1 x Camera
1 x Plastic Poncho
1 x Space Blanket
1 x mini multitool
1 x Credit Card Tool
1 x Pencil Sharpener
1 x Button Compass
1 x Waterproof Matches
1 x Fire steel
1 x Whistle
1 x Disposable Lighter
1 x Mini Prybar
1 x Sunglasses
1 x Magnifying Glass
4 x Puritabs
1 x Local Street Map
1 x Local OS Map
1 x Scalpel Handle
1 x 5 Scalpel Blades
1 x Note Pad
1 x Biro
1 x Boot laces/length of paracord.
1 x USB Stick with daily backup

Cheers, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.