My Preps

How are you preparing
ChefSimon

My Preps

Post by ChefSimon »

Well this is my first topic I've written and I thought I would tell you a little about the preps that I have.

I live just outside a major city so I've two prep avenues for me at this time. In this post I am going to talk about my EDC for when I go into the city (for work etc) Pictures below.

EDC - City;
This is a little watertight sealable case that I carry in my jacket pocket or more often than not in my bag.
It contains;
Small knife
Small multitool
6ft paracord
medical gloves
small bandage
cable ties
micro torch
Emergency foil blanket
2x Sterile Saline Wipes
6x Water purification tablets
Packet 6x 3 inch steri strips
3x Loop locks for the paracord
Small 2 inch snap loop
Miniture heavy duty pri-bar
Mini Marker pen (waterproof)
Mini Glass Cutter/Glass Break
Waterproof always light matches and light strip
Emergency Whistle
Metal Saw
Rubber non-slip dish
Rubber non-slip mat
Credit card sized 'survival' tool/wrench/can opener/seatbelt cutter
Picture 1 - The sealed case
Picture 1 - The sealed case
Picture 2 - Case opened
Picture 2 - Case opened
25-3.jpg
This comes to a total weight of just over 450g which I know some of you will scoff at, however this enables me along with my past military training to be able to deal with majority of incidents I would face on my daily commute on the train.

My concept behind this EDC is it allows me to effectively treat basic first aid incidents in the case of an emergency (me and the wife first) and then onto other people in need. Should I ever find myself in an accident (train/bus etc) then I have the tools to hand to enable me to safely extract myself from the situation, and assist others if needed.

Q's
Why the saw?
This will cut metal if needed, which in a case of being trapped will work in unison with the pri-bar, paracord and ring slips to allow me to cut through a window frame/railing etc.

Why water purification tablets?
Should I find myself trapped/stuck in the city/vehicle for any length of time due to the geographical location water is abundant, however may not be 100% safe to drink without treatment. The tablets will allow me to drink i & the actual case can be used to carry small amounts of water to allow for purification.

So That's my first topic posting. Please let me know what you think. I would love to hear feedback in comments about what I am able to do to improve this and also hear what you would do etc.

If you like this and are interested please let me known and I will write more posts about my other preps.
Thoughts are;
72 hour Bug-in (natural disaster/civil unrest) - What I've got ready to go in an emergency and where in the house I keep items.
Hiking EDC - What I carry when out hill walking
72 hour Bug-out bag - What I would carry if I had to leave home during an emergency

I've loads more I would love to share with you all if you are interested in hearing about it.

Thanks for reading.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
sethorly

Re: My Preps

Post by sethorly »

Thanks Chef, I love seeing other people's preps. Have you tried out the prybar? Is it really functional? I'd have thought you'd need more leverage to do anything decent?
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

sethorly wrote:Have you tried out the prybar? Is it really functional? I'd have thought you'd need more leverage to do anything decent?
That's always been my view of these tiddly prybars. I can't see them opening anything (other than a bottle!) as they don't provide enough leverage. I have a Hultafors 7.5-inch steel pry bar which does provide enough leverage say to pry open train doors, and fits in my handbag (aka The Thinking Woman's EDC!), but I'm not sure how I'd explain it if I got stopped and searched... If the tiddly ones really do work, then they're more easily explainable as a bottle opener!

Good call on the individual nitrile gloves...I've overlooked those...googling for sources now...!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

I have only 'tested' it at home.

You are both correct that there is no leverage due to the size. However I discovered that if I combine it with the mini pliers on the multitool it gives me an extra 5 inches of leverage and that was enough to split a wooden pallet apart (with a little effort)

It is one of the items that I'm debating about moving into my cycle EDC as they make fantastic tyre levers!

Thanks for the messages.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!