Winter prep..

How are you preparing
Deep Thinker

Re: Winter prep..

Post by Deep Thinker »

Hi
Covertcolin asking about wood burners ,try and get a multi fuel stove as you then have flexibility with what you can souce to burn,wood,peat,coal .Also if you can get some radiators attached to it is useful.Just watch you get the right size for the room.
covertcolin

Post by covertcolin »

Deep Thinker wrote:Hi
Covertcolin asking about wood burners ,try and get a multi fuel stove as you then have flexibility with what you can souce to burn,wood,peat,coal .Also if you can get some radiators attached to it is useful.Just watch you get the right size for the room.

brilliant DT, thank you.

as a coincidence - saw place over road having one fitted this week, turns out the guys son has a company installing stoves... might be handy to know.

;) :) :D
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Need to sort snow chains for my new car (got in april) waiting on lidl or aldi getting them in
Have you thought about snow socks, what size wheels do you have? I have a pair of unused autosocks, their size is 580, this fits wheels around 165/70R15, that wont fit any cars in the DustyDog household if they fit and you interested.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Need to sort snow chains for my new car (got in april) waiting on lidl or aldi getting them in
Here's a helpful video showing you how to put those snow chains on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZYqwlgUUE

I had to watch it 10 times to be certain I understood what to do...
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

DustyDog wrote:
Have you thought about snow socks, what size wheels do you have? I have a pair of unused autosocks, their size is 580, this fits wheels around 165/70R15, that wont fit any cars in the DustyDog household if they fit and you interested.

Yes sister and dad have these (they are running "summer tyres" )

ive had and used chains and never had a real issue with fitting them short of the muck in the arches.. ive got a SUV style 2wd car (dacia duster) its got something like 215/65/r16 from memory
i have got some chains which fit 175/65r15 from my last car but they obviously wont fit grrr (but they got me out the poo twice ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

sethorly wrote:
Here's a helpful video showing you how to put those snow chains on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZYqwlgUUE

I had to watch it 10 times to be certain I understood what to do...

must have watched it a dozen times so far and ive not noticed any snow chains you sure you uploaded the correct video? :twisted:

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

And on the subject of cold weather and driving....

https://youtu.be/t5ASSFgrWR8?t=21m4s

MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

Nothing out of the ordinary as winter comes every year, but according to Uk-stantdards, probably a lot. ;)
Snow chains in the Uk? Why? They are only used in the most remote northern areas here where they have like meters of powder snow. Learn to drive instead, written lovingly.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

You can be the best driver in the world but if you have no traction your going no where.

. In the UK its not mandatory to have winter tyres I did have a set for my last car and they were fantastic and I didn't need to use the chains after I got them. ...

My new car comes with all season / road biased off road tyres I'm yet to see how they preform in snow or on ice..

I have done lessons on off road driving, skid pan lessons and attended a 4x4 driving school....

Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

brilliant DT, thank you.

as a coincidence - saw place over road having one fitted this week, turns out the guys son has a company installing stoves... might be handy to know.

;) :) :D

Hi CovertColin - If you get it fitted and near wall then make sure they fit the proper fire/heat resistant boards on the wall. Real safety issue as if wall is board and wood frame and NOT the right fire/heat board the wooden beams have been known to char if fire to close . Having said that once all fitted then great . :D