Winter prep..

How are you preparing
PreparedKent

Re: Winter prep..

Post by PreparedKent »

Thats the stuff, it was a godsend last winter! I'm expecting a hard one this year, heavy snow and sub zeros.

I've got to try and beat it this year :)
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Apart from checking the working parts of the car, tyres good 6 mm tread, and having to get a new battery as a cell had broken I've put the snow shovel in.
there's already a blanket, first aid kit and spare food and water to last a day oh and a bog roll
I've slipped in a spare burner from the ones bought the other day and a mess tin, powdered milk and tea bags which live happily in the glove compartment.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Thinking about winter tyres for both cars. Snow shovel and grit in the shed.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

katilea wrote: Wish someone would invent snow chains for mobility scooters!
I'm sure I saw something about using cable ties in an emergency ...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote:
katilea wrote: Wish someone would invent snow chains for mobility scooters!
I'm sure I saw something about using cable ties in an emergency ...

I think the biggest issue with snow and a mobility scooter is ground Clearence no matter what's on the wheels if the main vehicle weight ends up supported on the chassis by snow your going nowhere. ..

Did it in my car about 6 years ago needed to do a lot of digging that day
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Finished knitting a pair if fingerless gloves and a tanktop. Now onto some slippers :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
woodsman1

Post by woodsman1 »

was at the local tyre garage today and thought i would price up winter tyres, the guy looked at me funny then said "you expecting snow this year".
apparently they don't get much call for them mmmmmm. :?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

woodsman1 wrote:was at the local tyre garage today and thought i would price up winter tyres, the guy looked at me funny then said "you expecting snow this year".
apparently they don't get much call for them mmmmmm. :?

What most tyre fitters don't understand is its not just snow " winter tyres" also work much better and wear slower than "summer tyres". When the temperature drops below 7°C the " softer" silica compounds do not get brittle and remain tacky to maintain grip..

Most will shed water / slush way better than summer tyres..

They even grip better on ice. Or mud. But in warm conditions they can become a bit of a handful as they become too squishy and thus wear quicker than summers in hot weather.. .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

This is ADAC ( German equivalent of the AA) its in German but google translations works

https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/r ... fault.aspx

You will find that in one size tyre x is better than tyre y yet bigger / or smaller y might score better

Personal favourite is the vredistine snowtrac 5 tyres

Another option is All Season not as good as a true winter tyre but not as bad as a summer tyre. Sort of a jack of all trades which my current car has fitted at the moment but these M+S marking relates to the tred pattern and not the compound they don't grip on ice well

TRUE winter tyres Cary the mountain and snowflake
Image. Which if you plan on visiting Germany or the alps is a legal requirement and have >4mm tread
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

This more of an autumn prep, but anyway..........

I know that a number of us have 'flood defences', here at stashings our defences take the form of trenches, gullies, stream, ponds and of course the inevitable culverts (both large and small)

I do a daily walk round the garden the check that fallen leaves have not formed an effective water barrier. It is astonishing how quickly an area of the garden can flood because dead leaves have clogged up the water path. I have two culverts prone to block because of the trees immediately adjacent to them. A daily tidy up means the toads are disappointed but I am happy!
Knowledge is power