Money suggestions

How are you preparing
dangerman

Re: Money suggestions

Post by dangerman »

It's a controversial subject, people get emotionally attached to their homes. I do it too of course. But the principle is that you should invest for cashflow rather than for appreciation.

According to all these books, American based, houses have only gone up on average with inflation, so anyone who made money on their house price going up really got lucky. I'm trying to see things longer term than that, and there are much better rates of return on investments than just inflation. So theoretically, if you invest elsewhere and then put the money back into your house you'll pay it off quicker and easier.

But also, as you say, the upkeep of the house turns the house into a liability too, and so does the potential for problems in the area such as crime, rioting, flooding etc. Not to mention how the economy can change things like it did in most cities in the 80s. At least if you don't own it you can move on quickly and easily when you need to.

If I can generate enough passive income, enough to cover the property payments (regardless as to whether its rent of mortgage), then I'm as good as mortgage free aren't I? And I'm not saying I'm planning on renting, and I'm not saying that I'd like to pay a mortgage forever, but I want to look at things objectively. I'd be happy to remortgage indefinitely if it meant increasing my cashflow. The plan for me, now, is to have the funds available to clear the mortgage if ever I chose to, but to make sure that that money, my money, is working as hard for me as possible. Not only will I reach the magic house value figure quicker this way, but it will easier to access and pay me more too.

For example, if my house is mortgaged at 150k and I've got 150k in a stocks and shares ISA at 7% over the same mortgage period, but I choose to pay a mortgage at 3% on the loan of 75% of the value, that's about £630 payment a month (on 150k), but I would be getting £998 in passive income from the cash used as an investment (on the same 150k). That's £360 a month for free. Reinvest, live off it, or clear your house if that's really your need. It's good debt.

I'm still learning, but it does make sense to me to make the money work for me. I'm also aware that I could be proven wrong on all these subjects - but making mistakes isn't a bad thing as long as I don't repeat them. ;)

http://www.richdad.com/Resources/Rich-D ... asset.aspx
Last edited by dangerman on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

My bad, double post - just added the bit about the 7% ISA.

It's amazing how much 150k will actually pay you per month through one of these ISAs. I would argue that 7% is modest over a mortgage period, and that's why I'm hoping to learn to be a more sophisticated investor. Even property partner are paying about that much annually.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Deeps - why not get onto some interest compounding investments through your ISA? Take the extra dosh you're making and throw it at an emergency fund. Property is only one way to go. I would like to own my house, and money no objective I would, but the rules have all changed and stashing money into investments seems to be the best option to protect yourself. Sterling is seems to be going down hill fast - in fact getting a house in the US for me is now unrealistic. I'd be paying an extra $80-$100k for the the same house as I'd have gotten a year ago. Get your money into something tangible.

Stoopid Brexit.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

My plan A is a long rich and happy retirement. I have read plenty of Money help books including the 4-hour work week, Rich Dad, The Millionaire Mindset, etc. My net worth is well over 7 digits, but of course that is just a number and anything can change between now are Retirement day. If inflation hits 15%, £1m today will be worth £650k or less when I retire. Inflation will be allowed to grow and grow over the next 2 years - its the only way we can start to chip away at the national debt ($1T of national debt goes down to £820B when inflation runs at 10% for 2 years).

Anyway, there are a lot of problems with the RDPD idea. Other the fact that the author has been found out to be a bit of a fraud - he has been made bankrupt several times, (see http://www.businessinsider.com/the-auth ... 12-10?IR=T, his relatives and friends have come out to say that the "Rich Dad" never existed, and that he just makes his money from selling books and doing talks.

Putting that aside, I view property in the USA as different from property in the UK. In the USA - they have land. Lots and Lots of land - which means house price growth is nothing like here in the UK. Also in the USA - property was viewed as a way of growth in terms of renting (using it as a money generating asset as per the RDPD ideals), and then 2008 came, house prices dropped by 40%, and everybody lost big time. Here in the UK, we have the other problem - houses are way, way way over priced. I purchased my house 7 years ago for £320k and today a neighbour has his on the market for £525k - exact same location and size. That is madness, and ultimately unsustainable. In order to have a property growth - you need to have people at the bottom, and if todays youngsters cannot buy a property, well then the ladder has no footing and will fall over (or at least sink into the soft earth below).

We own several properties which we rent out - and each one of them makes a very nice sum - so that is a good way of generating income. All were purchased 10 years ago or so, and the wife asked me at the end of last year if we should buy some more, and I said a resounding NO. My view is that property cannot keep going up and up, and has to readjust soon - anybody buying today I feer are buying at the top of a very high roller coaster, and when the slide starts, will find themselves in the same position people did in the last 1980s, in the early part of 2000, and the whole of 2008 - with loans that are way over the value of their property. Then, people will be in trouble, and the only people making money will be (as always) the bankers.

I watch TV channels like Bloomberg (which deals with money) and they are reporting all the good news from around the world... S&P up, FTSE up, Nasdaq up, Tosho up, wages up, unemployment down, house repossessions down, government public spending up - it all looks like good news. Its easy to make things look good - you spend spend spend, but its all going on the UK, USA, Germany and Japans (world) credit cards - suddenly the view is rosy with everybody having new TVs, new Cars, bigger homes. But then sooner or later that credit card comes in, and the figure is so large you cant pay it back.

Trump, Merkal, May and the others know how bad things are ("I Inherited a Mess" Trump said yesterday) and they are all doing the same thing - can kicking (pushing the problem down the road). Of course if they say how bad the problem is, then everybody panics, they stop spending on credit, and the whole machine grinds to a halt and the World World game of Musical Chairs starts.

Sorry folks for being so down this morning.... Just went over to a friends house and he was showing me is new down out Man cave with new 60" TV, playstation, steros system, man-chair etc to go with his new car.. all purchased on credit. I could not bare to see how pleased he was with it all, knowing what is coming, and how much pain all that credit is going to cause him and his family in the next few years. I had to smile, said how good it all looked, well done, and all I could picture was the national debt levels climbing and tears in his house.
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

dangerman wrote:Deeps - why not get onto some interest compounding investments through your ISA? Take the extra dosh you're making and throw it at an emergency fund. Property is only one way to go. I would like to own my house, and money no objective I would, but the rules have all changed and stashing money into investments seems to be the best option to protect yourself. Sterling is seems to be going down hill fast - in fact getting a house in the US for me is now unrealistic. I'd be paying an extra $80-$100k for the the same house as I'd have gotten a year ago. Get your money into something tangible.

Stoopid Brexit.
As it is, we're getting by mate so I've no plans to change, while more money is always nice it just means you spend on more 'stuff'. We're all about the 'lifestyle' now, well I am, I do sod all although I daresay my missus would be happy if I went out and got a job. :lol: At the moment I can't see past property for long term financial security. We all need somewhere to live and in the boom times the property value goes up (only an issue if you want to sell or use it to secure more money) and in the bust times rents go up as the demand increases. This is very broad brush strokes and nothing is 100% safe.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

Of course, the other thing to think about regarding holding property to Rent is the Completely Insane Mixed Messages coming from the Government at the moment....

We, your government, recognise there is a housing Crises
We, your government, are changing direction. No longer are we going forward with Camrons 'everybody own your home' style, now we want to support the renters
We, your Government, are also reducing the money to councils, so they have no money to invest in increasing their own property stock
but we, your government, also are changing the tax laws so private landlords can no claim tax relief on interest payments
and, we blah blah, are NOT reversing Osborns tax grab of increased land duty on 2nd properties - we don't want private landlords now
so we, your Gov, now believe that the faeries and pixies will be purchasing all the new builds and will become the new landlords
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

dangerman wrote:but to make sure that that money, my money, is working as hard for me as possible.
Investments rather than cheap (at the moment) mortgage debt repayment is fine, but you have to keep in mind any short-term volatility of your investment portfolio. Even a small interest rate rise is going to massacre quite a few home owners whose income will suddenly barely, if at all, cover their repayments. If you can foresee a need to sell your investments to repay a lump sum off your mortgage debt should such an interest rate rise occur, and that this requirement might happen suddenly and quickly, you may find, if your investment portfolio is volatile, that you will lose money or not get the return you hoped for upon selling it. Despite this danger, I would definitely recommend investment if you know what you are doing, and have a strong cash balance.

If you're in your 20s, a few k in a bank account is the way to go. As you get older with a family you should be thinking about well over 10k in cash (bank account). This is for an average earnings couple (total joint income c.50k).

Once this basic financial prep is in place, consider non-cash investments (once you've paid off non-mortgage debt). I'd personally go with high-risk shares, buying in tranches when that specific market looks good value (ie. normally when it has dropped or even crashed) over a period of months or years, but then I know what I'm doing; the reason is that if you don't invest in cash you're taking a risk, and few assets have as much upside as shares, plus I have an open-ended time horizon for any investment - but this may not resonate with you.

If you invest in anything other than cash, you may lose money, so unless you're happy with that, stick with the basics - cash and debt repayment.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I'm so happy with how this thread is going! What brilliant posts! I'm learning all the time.

Jaffab - made up you've been so successful. I'd love to pick your brains and learn from you. I've been reading books about this stuff as you know, I'm aware there are many mind sets, I'm just trying to develop my own. I'm aware of Kyosaki's bad press, I take everything with a pinch of salt. The thing is, like religion, politics... anything really, something has to ring true first. I'd like to think I apply systematic science after that. There is often truth mixed in with crap, and there is an art to removing the crap. I predict problems around interest rates and other economic things, hard times are ahead for some. I'm trying to learn now so as to prep for it. The more knowledge I have the better equipped I will hopefully be later.

Deeps - all I can say to that is stop buying so much crap then! :D The Tony Robbins book I read spoke about aiming for a critical mass, growing money like crops until you have enough to pay you enough in interest to live off. For me, I need 400k invested (@5% return) to live happily on. Or 200k if I decided to own my own house. Maybe you should consider targeting a critical mass with your extra cash rather than over visiting Hennie. :D

Sethorly - I've considered the volatility and it's not a fun subject to research. So far though things look manageable based on published predictions, but who knows what in five or ten years. I'm trying to protect myself as best as possible and, tbh, I reckon I'll still do better than some others just based on the fact that I'm trying. I'm happy to take risk - no pain no gain eh? I'm going for the manager Halifax high risk ISA and putting a modest monthly payment into it. I bet over the next 10-15 years it'll balance out ok. Last year it apparently earned 16%. But the year before was -1.9%. that's still an average of 14.1% over two years. I'd snap their hand off if that's for reals. I'm going to open a practice account with an imaginary £10000 before I try and do it for myself. And I might open a second ISA to put a portion of my monthly savings into some index trackers. Diversify is the advice for idiots! :)
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

dangerman wrote:Jaffab - made up you've been so successful. I'd love to pick your brains and learn from you. I've been reading books about this stuff as you know, I'm aware there are many mind sets, I'm just trying to develop my own. I'm aware of Kyosaki's bad press, I take everything with a pinch of salt. The thing is, like religion, politics... anything really, something has to ring true first. I'd like to think I apply systematic science after that. There is often truth mixed in with crap, and there is an art to removing the crap. I predict problems around interest rates and other economic things, hard times are ahead for some. I'm trying to learn now so as to prep for it. The more knowledge I have the better equipped I will hopefully be later.
My money principles have always been pretty simple. They work for me, and I have passed them on to my wife and daughter, though they may not work for everybody:

1) Get and stay out of debt as much as possible. I myself have debt - but its only in the forms of a small mortgage on my main house and a loan on one of my rentals. I would love to pay these off, but I am restricted by the terms of the loans - I can only pay 10% off each year of the original loan value otherwise they carry BIG penalties. Still, both will be down to zero in 3 years.
2) Make money work. Every £1 I spend either feeds me (and wife), clothes me, TRULY entertains me, otherwise it works to make more money. When I spend a pound, I always ask which of these it is doing
3) Get a pension. A pension is still the most effective method of saving in the UK. No shares, no property, no ISA, no 'get rich scheme' will ever beat a pension (in terms of tax returns and growth)
4) If you have investments (pensions, ISA or anything else) dont sweat about the growth %. This is never the issue, its always about the charges. Work with a provider with the lowest possible charges. The difference between 0.25% charges and 0.5% a year charges is double your money with compound interest over a 20 year period
5) Only lend out what you never expect to get back
6) Dont try to keep up with the Joneses in terms of 'Stuff'. Sometimes the old stuff is better than the new stuff, and anyway, the Joneses are broke and its all on credit.
7) After a certain age, its no longer about 'stuff' but 'experiences'. You will remember the experiences but you wont remember all the money wasted on stuff that you eventually bin.
8) Never gamble. Ever. Las Vagas, Reno, and the millions given out by Camelot are all based on the false hope of gamblers. The house ALWAYS wins
9) As soon as you can, work for yourself. You will never earn as much working for somebody as you will working for yourself
10) If something seems too good to be true, it always is. Don't waste time trying to see the catch, the catch will always be hidden. If its to good to be true, just walk away.
11) Never put all your eggs in one basket. Yes the government has guarantees should organisations go under - but then so did Iceland, and millions are still fighting to get their money back
12) Have goals. Goals focuses the mind - which means your mind will create a plan, and from a plan comes action, and from action comes analysis of options. From these options, generally comes the right decision
13) Money is just a number - its a tool. Make the tool work for you, or somebody else will find a way to take that money from you and make it work for them
14) Protect yourself. Insurance works, dont be scared of it. Protect your home, protect your car, and then when you can afford it, protect your money, your income and your life
15) If you want to make money outside of your job, there are 5 ways: a) Buy something and get somebody to pay you to use it - in this case the something has to have a value beyond the rental period b) Create something that will sell with a value greater than its component parts plus your time c) Create something small that you can sell easily and cheaply, that millions of people want/need d) Create something which is hard to sell and very expensive that only a few people need or e) Offer a service which people need, and get really REALY good at it and work for yourself
16) And to make money takes time, and it takes time to grow. Track it. But dont get obsessive about it.

I am personally less worried about interest rates as I am about inflation. I see interest rates going up a little in the US, but I think they are doing this so that when the next financial problem comes (later in the year) interest rates have somewhere to drop to. Interest rates cannot go too high as interest rates change how much money the country has to spend servicing the national debt. Whereas inflation is good for the national debt - it devalues it. I am surprised that interest rates have not gone up a little here in the UK (for the same 'somewhere to go' reason) - when we hit another dip, then interest rates have nowhere to go. The government then has only two options - print more (made up) money or raise taxes (VAT to 20%) - but higher taxes causes the spending to stop, and its only people spending that is keeping the money machine turning. If that stalls, we are al in deep do-do.

If interest rates do go up, I can see a lot of families in the UK being in deep financial trouble and house repossessions to grow massively.

EDITED - To add four more onto the list that I had forgotten about, and the wife reminded me about....

17) If you want something, wait 5 days before buying it. 50% of the time you will no longer want it, and 50% of the time you will see a better/cheaper one. Needs on the other hand (you need a new washing machine the old one is buggered) you buy straight away.
18) Automate money as much as possible. For instance, I know that after my company (as in I own it) pays me, I know I always have exactly £250 to spend that month. On the day after payday, all my money flows out of my account via standing orders, direct debits etc. Whatever is left minus the £250 is automatically swept into savings. Its easy to keep track of my spending with a set figure each month. For things like food, we have a credit card which we both use to buy food, and automatically gets paid off whatever the balance is every month.
19) Save for everything. Save to have a buffer in case the worst happens or you lose your job, save for holidays, save for that thing you want. Automate the savings to come out of your account. Once its automated, you no longer think of the money as yours, and when you do have the money for that holiday/thing, you have the cash so no need to put it on a credit card
20) Cash is king - it always will be. Shops may tell you that 'there is no discount for cash' but they are lying. For a shop to take your money via a credit card, they pay between 2% to 3.5% (for amex) to the credit card company. Cash saves them this. Even if its just 2%, ask for a cash discount. I very rarely pull price for anything.
21) Now and again, treat yourself - money is supposed to be fun (sometimes).
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! :lol: Of course all that information, 'Wise' as it most probably is ,relies on a large income. I do smile when I read of 'Average' household incomes of £50,000 per annum! :D
I wish.

Most folks get by on a modest income as best they can.Wealth of course,can take many forms.

I now own my own home.have done for a good time.That home though stands on a lot of land.Land which supports a greenhouse, poly tunnel, gardens, fowl and rabbits.We heat with wood,and are able to store LOTS of it here.We have a Well.Water is literally liquid gold.

I don't earn a fortune ,but I have a domestic food system ( veg ,meat and eggs) water and a means to purify it, enough cash coming in and the property is owned outright.

Money,as an idea,is merely that.An Idea.It is a Notional means of exchange.

'Rich' as you may be,can you feed and water yourself? WITHOUT buying it? I can .I can fish,shoot and trap it.And grow it.The latter is a skill on its own.I guess I was lucky being brought up a country boy

Can you fix your house? Can you heat or light it if the grid goes down? I can.

We currently need money to function as a Society.However, it buys only ,at its basest level,food ,water and shelter .
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.