What I'm covering in my prep

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What I'm covering in my prep

Post by Deeps »

Arzosah wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

There's a reason why fiction shows the end of the world, etc, and not "ooh, we had to rough it for two weeks using the camping stove in the kitchen" :lol:
I know which one I'd rather 'endure'. :D

I think even Her Maj would suck it up for 2 weeks these days without it somehow being my fault. :lol: While she's not exactly a prepper (and probably never will be) she's come along a long way. The zombie apocalypse would definitely be my fault though....somehow. :(
Meta

Post by Meta »

There's a reason why fiction shows the end of the world, etc, and not "ooh, we had to rough it for two weeks using the camping stove in the kitchen" :lol:

Totally :)

One of those things I didn't realise I was doing until you pointed it out. Planning for the worst case possible but not taking into account some of the 'more likely' issues.
own your situation before it owns you
Meta

Post by Meta »

Deeps wrote:

I know which one I'd rather 'endure'. :D

I think even Her Maj would suck it up for 2 weeks these days without it somehow being my fault. :lol: While she's not exactly a prepper (and probably never will be) she's come along a long way. The zombie apocalypse would definitely be my fault though....somehow. :(

:) I have actually convinced my other half to come on a bushcraft weekend out with me this year!! Having taken my lad on a wild camping trip across Dartmoor earlier this year and him still going on about it and how much fun he had, she has finally given in... Now all I need to do is convince her to leave the hair straighteners behind lol!!!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Well done on convincing her to give it a go we're at the "never again" stage of the camping cycle never mind anything more 'advanced'.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

At risk of hijacking this thread I gotta tell you all I had sort of a break through on the camping side of things. Took the wife glamping and she quite enjoyed it although she's determined thats as far as she'll go.

What do you mean there's no TV? But I can still take my hairdryer can't I?

Well yes there's a plug point......

Even a small victory is a victory.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

aldhelm wrote:At risk of hijacking this thread I gotta tell you all I had sort of a break through on the camping side of things. Took the wife glamping and she quite enjoyed it although she's determined thats as far as she'll go.

Softly, softly catchy monkey and all that. I've got mates that I can just 'go' with but if its me and Her Maj that are in that situation then we're talking cataclysmic. :lol: When we've been camping its been to places with 'facilities'. That's about as wild as her 'wild' camping goes but on a positive, she's become more happy to store stuff and her gardening has taken on a 'good life' aspect, we're planning on making cider with the apples this year. She'll never be a prepper but she's become a bit more accepting about the whole thing. You go with what you've got. :D Well either that or change your wife. :lol: That can get expensive though. :shock:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Deeps wrote: Well either that or change your wife. :lol: That can get expensive though. :shock:
Irony is, she'd get the preps in a divorce. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Meta

Post by Meta »

aldhelm wrote:At risk of hijacking this thread I gotta tell you all I had sort of a break through on the camping side of things. Took the wife glamping and she quite enjoyed it although she's determined thats as far as she'll go.

If it works it works!! I'm quite lucky in that she is ex army, but was a Red Cap, so never really in any uncomfortable situations :mrgreen:

We have been on several glamping trips especially when the kids were younger (and I'll be honest, they were some of the best family holidays we have had). I would jump at the chance to go again :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote:
Deeps wrote: Well either that or change your wife. :lol: That can get expensive though. :shock:
Irony is, she'd get the preps in a divorce. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Depending on how prepped you are it might be worth pushing the boat out for OJ's lawyer. :lol: He'll say its the other half's preps but you deserve them anyway. :P
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

I like your list :)

One thing I am learning fast is the realm of "gaffer tape"

So many different types and manufacturers and of course qualities.

What I have been learning is that some will stick well or very not to different type of fabric or plastics, waterproof or not, easy to rip lengths yourself or get the blade out, light reflective.

I guess what I am aiming to describe here is in what mode would you think you need gaffer tape?

For myself my main uses would be quick tent/shelter/rucksack/trouser repair.

I know lots of people rave about gorilla tape, maybe others can advise?

Am all ears myself :) :)
Gordon's Alive!?