What I'm covering in my prep

How are you preparing
Meta

Re: What I'm covering in my prep

Post by Meta »

FlashPan wrote:I like your list :)

One thing I am learning fast is the realm of "gaffer tape"

So many different types and manufacturers and of course qualities.

What I have been learning is that some will stick well or very not to different type of fabric or plastics, waterproof or not, easy to rip lengths yourself or get the blade out, light reflective.

I guess what I am aiming to describe here is in what mode would you think you need gaffer tape?

For myself my main uses would be quick tent/shelter/rucksack/trouser repair.

I know lots of people rave about gorilla tape, maybe others can advise?

Am all ears myself :) :)

I use the tape for on the fly repairs to gloves, jackets & tents/tarps. I have used in the past as a waterproof cover for a cut on my leg. Used normal steri strips, with a standard bandage, then because of the weather I needed to waterproof it. Wasn't fun taking it off, but stopped anything getting in the cut I didn't want. You can use it as a make shift bandage on its own, but if its attached to a cut or anything like that it will open it on removal.

Have seen people use to prevent blisters also - not something I really suffer with, but apparently if you start to feel the 'hot spot' of a blister coming on, stick the tape over the spot and all the friction goes and the blister never materializes.

I like the Rino Gaffer tape - its very adhesive but very easy to tear strips off. Have used the Gorilla stuff for work before, its very good, but just a little tougher to work with. A lot will depend on what you want to use it for and your budget. Because I use a fair amount of the tape (lots of kids projects / bottle rockets etc) I get the 50m rolls which are quite cheap and last ages. If hiking I just take a couple of meters folded on itself - you can wrap it to water bottles etc, but it leaves a sticky mess and I use my bottle to boil water so not ideal.

Very interested in hearing other peoples ideas on it too :)

Cheers

M
own your situation before it owns you
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Harry black maskers is one of the greatest creations evah !!! If the Russians came up with a ray gun that 'zapped' maskers then just about every Royal Navy vessel would fall apart. :lol:

Its great for temporary repairs on loads of things, double siding it to secure things. I have a wee length (ooh err missus) of it in my wallet wrapped round a plastic card and a good few rolls stuck away.
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Gorilla tape is powerful stuff, I've always been a big fan of gorilla glue so one day while searching for some duck tape when I saw some gorilla tape. Thought I would give it a go...

It's great in am emergency as it will hold anything together and the adhesive is as strong as the material if self. You can also tape it across windows to hold glass together in a hurricane/storm. In the same X pattern that was used in windows during WW2 to stop glass shattering
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Deeps wrote:Harry black maskers is one of the greatest creations evah !!! If the Russians came up with a ray gun that 'zapped' maskers then just about every Royal Navy vessel would fall apart. :lol:

Its great for temporary repairs on loads of things, double siding it to secure things. I have a wee length (ooh err missus) of it in my wallet wrapped round a plastic card and a good few rolls stuck away.
Harry Black Maskers... I swear by the stuff. The amount of times I went to take passengers out to a Herc whilst on tour and bits of the plane were held on with Harry Black. The amount of squaddies who would panic about the plane being held together with tape. Always used to tell them to worry if the RAF had a plane without it as something was guaranteed to fall off!

I've still got a few rolls tucked away. Always have a roll in my luggage when travelling as it can fix almost anything.

As the Royal Engineers used to say if you can't fix it with black nasty or WD40 it ain't broke!
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!