Morning all

How are you preparing
farnet

Morning all

Post by farnet »

Hey Guys

Sorry for being a stranger, a lot happened with me over the last year or so (busy at work, busy at home etc).

Well what's happened? Have I missed anything??? Have 100's of posts to catch up on which will keep me busy.

I'm ashamed to say that even my bunker building had been put on the back burner, but I've started back up on it last month by laying concrete steps and welding sheets of rebar ready for shuttering it and creating concrete walls.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!At7BvhaDyQnviixqU4QuFV9n0X1o

I'd add a photo but don't know how to from my iPhone.... And yes I'm in IT... But this isn't my field :) it may or may not work.... Oh heck I'm late for work
Area 6 bordering to area 8

'Time is a poison - too much of it and you die'
Arzosah

Re: Morning all

Post by Arzosah »

Hello farnet, and oh my word, that *does* look like an honest to goodness bunker! I'm just reading "Flood", by Richard Doyle (I think) - whats the water table like round you? Looks like you'll be prepared for anything, though :mrgreen:
farnet

Post by farnet »

Arzosah wrote:Hello farnet, and oh my word, that *does* look like an honest to goodness bunker! I'm just reading "Flood", by Richard Doyle (I think) - whats the water table like round you? Looks like you'll be prepared for anything, though :mrgreen:
lol it has alway been a worry for me, but the more I dig the drier it is, although I have had about 20,000 litres of surface rainwater flood the bunker more than once, so I have added a surface water drain near the bunker with a gravel bed, and I'm using an additive in the concrete that is used for swimming pools so the concrete will be water tight, I will also (for the first 5 meters) be tanking the inside by using a swimming pool primer and paint to finish it off.....
and for the extra "just in case' I have a pump with a depth sensor which will automatically initiate....

Eventually, when I have build the room etc, I will have half a dozen sealed deep cycle 200Ah batteries and will be able to run the pumps (fully redundant) of the batteries in case of grid failure.

I did look into EMP potential as it seems to be the big thing on the US preppers / survival site.

The current climate would suggest that the status of alert has increased between NATO and Russia due to some stuff NATO are doing on the Estonian and Polish borders and it has REALLY upset our in house nutter Putin. so between that and use being overdue a mega solar flare, I'm into EMP prevention at the moment.... and anti radiation as well to be honest.

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

The water proofing sounds great!

I agree NATO and Putin are being pretty twitchy at the mo, though I can't see a full-scale war happening, I really can't. There *might* be potential for a dirty bomb, or even a nuclear accident, they *do* happen every so often, its true. I know that EMPs are taken very seriously by American preppers, but I'm not quite sure why they're taken to *that* level of concern. And as for solar flares, honestly, I think as long as you have everything unplugged, and as much as you can protected (heavy-gauge aluminium foil, plus a £10 breadbin from Wilkinsons, which is pretty good standard) I think its fine. I did some research on EMPs when I was writing a blog post, and the US is much more vulnerable - we have an electricity grid (ie several different paths the current can potentially use), they have lines that are hundreds or even thousands of miles long, with no redundancy.

I still like your bunker though :D
farnet

Post by farnet »

Arzosah wrote:The water proofing sounds great!

I agree NATO and Putin are being pretty twitchy at the mo, though I can't see a full-scale war happening, I really can't. There *might* be potential for a dirty bomb, or even a nuclear accident, they *do* happen every so often, its true. I know that EMPs are taken very seriously by American preppers, but I'm not quite sure why they're taken to *that* level of concern. And as for solar flares, honestly, I think as long as you have everything unplugged, and as much as you can protected (heavy-gauge aluminium foil, plus a £10 breadbin from Wilkinsons, which is pretty good standard) I think its fine. I did some research on EMPs when I was writing a blog post, and the US is much more vulnerable - we have an electricity grid (ie several different paths the current can potentially use), they have lines that are hundreds or even thousands of miles long, with no redundancy.

I still like your bunker though :D
I agree with you about the EMPs the Yanks do get a bee in their bonnet about things like that, but I have acknowledged the potential and am looking at the basics as I'm going along (like simple thing of having a fibre transceiver from the shed to the bunker for connectivity... In doing so if things get fried up top, the stuff underground will be fine...... Plastic piping instead of copper... All no big deals just being mindful

As for the issues, I heard from a friend in the military about what is going on in Poland and Estonia, and suffice to say we should be very worried.

He told me the details (I can't repeat on a public board), but NATO has dropped a proverbial wot sit and By doing certain measure on the border... And Putin went mental and threatened NATO if it didn't stop he would test their work... So being NATO they have doubled their efforts.... Bear in mind we aren't talking basic stuff here....

Then last month I saw in the news about NATO reinforcements in those countries.....

Putin is going to win whatever happens, as he will either have NATO back down, or he will do as he promised..... We are in a mess

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ouch, that doesn't sound good :( and I'd certainly go as far as to say that there must be a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't get told about, maybe not even when the 30 year rule operates. As for what might happen if Trump gets elected ... well, hopefully he'll be impeached before he takes the presidential oath!