New Prepper

How are you preparing
nickdutch

Re: New Prepper

Post by nickdutch »

Preparing to look after yourself if you get homeless is one thing (tents etc), but getting yourself back on you own two feet again is another. It seems to me that researching all of the charities that deal with rehabilitating the homeless in the local area is the next big step for you, as well as night shelters and food banks, but rehabilitation organisations exist and you need to know about them.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Wailing wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

I posted this is my 'new member' thread when asked what I was preparing for.

'Homelessness at the moment.

My current situation is secure but I don't own my own property. I'm saving for a deposit but that is going to take a few years. My rented property could be taken away at short notice at any time so it makes sense to me to be prepared for that possibility as I don't have a lot of family to fall back on for help.'

My town has never flooded in all my years. I live on a hill as well so it is unlikely to ever happen. Whereas the chances of me needing to camp out whilst also unlikely is more of a realistic possibility.

Here is a link to the spray I mentioned. It seems completely legit from what I can see.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DSP ... ct_image_8
That's the kind of spray I was referring to. Sniper 55 is right, you will probably be ok carrying it, and even using it if you do so in self defence, but the law isn't clear on them yet, they are not illegal, but they're not fully legal yet either.
Carry it by all means if you wish to, but do be aware that until they are 100% approved then there is a slight risk that you might have argue the legality of it in court, so whatever you do don't have it on show on your belt or in your pocket if you're going somewhere where you're likely to get searched and then there won't be an issue unless you use it, and as long as you haven't been trigger happy with it and stayed within the bounds of reasonable force then you'll likely be fine.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking your desire to carry something like that, I actually think marking sprays like that are a great idea, aside from anything else they help to prove the identity of a criminal, and in fact I personally hold some quite controversial views on what we should be allowed to carry for self defence (which I'm not going to go into as the mods won't like it!) I just want to make sure you're aware that the law surrounding them is a little ambiguous.

I personally carry a good handful of small change in my back pocket, a face full of copper coins will make any would be attacker think twice just as effectively, or at least distract them enough for me to make my escape or subdue my attacker, and unless I was daft enough to tell a court that I was carrying it for self defence then it would be hard to call it a weapon as long as I can justify my actions within the bounds of reasonable force, it could get me in just as much, if not more trouble, but only if I have to use it, the sprays could get you in trouble just for carrying it if you're unlucky enough to meet a police officer that wants to force the issue.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
katilea

Post by katilea »

I seem to to think I've read somewhere if you had no income (ie benefit sanctions) you can declare no income to council or something for Housing Benefit to pay your rent? Then you have at least have a roof over your head!

I thought of getting more garden/patio solar lights as they'd recharge themselves outdoors during day and can bring them in once it gets dark so you have light if you had no money for electric. Then just stick them back outside each day to 'recharge'. could get USB solar charger to charge phone same by putting it in window in daytime, so have phone for emergencies (999 is free for medical emergencies!)

For food start stocking up on some things that don't need cooking (in case of no electric or gas) or if you can get a small camping stove. Sports Direct were selling some for £14 a few months back not sure if still are. Foods that are heated up quickly on them as the cartridges don't last long. Handy if you either run out of gas/electric or have a powercut due to winter/extreme weather.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

If you go on ebay you can get a "mini" gas camping stove for under a fiver
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Portable ... SwezVW0-WB
I've got one and quite a few of my mates have got them too, it's even got a built in lighter. the gas bottles (not included) cost about a fiver as well from any half decent camping store (I use go-outdoors) it works great and will fit inside the small mess tin with a gas cannister.