Prepping for away from home.

How are you preparing
Kris369

Post by Kris369 »

Ok so this week I was 200 miles away from home staying in a hotel for work purposes, which is becoming a regular event. I only had a small carryon suitcase and my edc, and I realised how naked I felt with out a GHB. I'm not a run to the woods guy but I have a great multi-use GHB in my car which I've regularly dipped into and gives me great peice of mind to have. Unfortunately I can't take it with me through airport security.

So I'm having a think about a suitable half way house.

So what's people's experience of traveling prepared?
Any ideas?
Hope for the best, prep for the worst and keep it need to know.

To be a consistent winner means preparing not just one day, one month or even one year - but for a lifetime.
NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Kris369 wrote:Ok so this week I was 200 miles away from home staying in a hotel for work purposes, which is becoming a regular event. I only had a small carryon suitcase and my edc, and I realised how naked I felt with out a GHB. I'm not a run to the woods guy but I have a great multi-use GHB in my car which I've regularly dipped into and gives me great peice of mind to have. Unfortunately I can't take it with me through airport security.

So I'm having a think about a suitable half way house.

So what's people's experience of traveling prepared?
Any ideas?
I Travel for my job and am never really in the same location for more that a season or two and though I'm more relaxed in what I can carry and take. But as I don't really go through any controlled or international borders it is easier for me to prep items However, I Can only prep with what I can store locally or carry in the car. I'm going to be getting a medium or long wheel based van in the near future and that will be a big help for my preps but I digress.
I’ve found that if I’ve had suitable notice about somewhere that I will be going and it’s not a prohibited item then I will post it ahead of me to either a post office or to where I will be staying, so at least then I’ll have access to some of my kit.
My other solution is to have caches or lock ups placed at strategic places around my frequented locations.

Hope this helps.

Sam

15:26

No trees were destroyed sending this post, however a few electrons were slightly inconvenienced. (Via Tapatalk)
Arzosah

Re: Prepping for away from home.

Post by Arzosah »

I've been having a think about this too, as I'm going to be doing a lot more travelling ... to me it comes down to the absolute basics, especially if you're in another country. Off the top of my head (haven't written any of this down yet!)
- a few language basics - hello goodbye, 1 - 10, please thankyou, that sort of stuff. Compass points.
- currency - *more* than enough, much more, the same as you would at home, coins for vending machines, notes for the first few days of any emergency.
- taking care of water supplies. A little Sawyer filter? Certainly some water purification tablets.
- a little first aid kit. Hopefully customs will never have a problem with painkillers, antihistamines, a *small* tube of disinfectant and the like.
- the means to make a fire? Matches may not pass through customs, but a metal striker would.
- a map! And a lot of research about how to start getting home. Including what the Foreign Office would do for repatriation emergencies.
- a compass! On your wrist, like a second watch?
- a windup/good solar radio, to listen to what's going on. If batteries, really good quality ones that will last and can be recharged.
- skills and knowledge! To know how to use what you *do* have, to know how to improvise.
- in honour of Ford Prefect, a towel (though I'd probably call it a scarf, personally :) ).

I'd be interested to know what else there might be. If you're there for a while, you might set up your own cache, and then space and weight aren't quite such liabilities.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

water can be bought in the departure are and is cheaper than on the aircraft,
here is a list of allowed items

Item Allowed in hand luggage Allowed in hold luggage
Corkscrew No Yes
Spoon Yes Yes
Knife (with a sharp or pointed blade and/or blade longer than 6cm) No Yes (check with your airline)
Small scissors (with blades no longer than 6cm) Yes Yes
Large scissors (with blades longer than 6cm) No Yes (check with your airline)
Round-ended/blunt scissors Yes Yes
Fixed-cartridge razor blades (disposable razor) Yes Yes
Nail clippers/nail file Yes Yes
Tweezers Yes Yes
Knitting needles Yes Yes
Sewing needle Yes Yes
Umbrella Yes Yes
Walking stick/cane, walking aid Yes Yes
Pushchair Yes Yes
Wheelchair Yes Yes
Safety matches Yes No
Non-safety matches No No
Fireworks, flares and other pyrotechnics, including party poppers and toy caps No No
Cigarette lighter No, but you can put a lighter in a plastic liquids bag and keep it on your person No
Contact lens solution Yes (up to 100ml) Yes
from https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restric ... onal-items
so a small pen knife can be carried
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Have travelled a huge amount for work to often very interesting places.

My list of must-haves is roughly:

- Good standard FAK in carry-on ( you might even get away with small scissors)
- Perhaps a bigger, heavy-duty one in hold
- Lots of painkillers of various types and strengths. It is no fun being in agony in a hotel or a remote guesthouse at 2am
- Lots of Imodium (see above)
- Various anti-mozzie items - cream, coils, vapourisers, possibly even a net
- Couple of torches and batteries, one in hold, one in carry-on
- Sun hat and sunglasses in carry-on
- One spare set of clothes in carry-on
- Food - nuts, choccies, similar - good for morale or offering around specially in shitty, bleak remote locations
- Water and puritabs
- Good quality coffee, ready ground, and means to make e.g. Aeropress or small filter.
- SAK and other penknife in hold
- Lighters in carry-on and hold. If challenged at security “Sorry, forgot it was there” and dump
- Tealights, perhaps citronella
- Flushable wipes. Lots of.
- Sundries such as high-strength Vit B supplements, Tabasco sauce, nicotine gum, Jakemans menthol cough sweets (actually I have these everywhere!)
- Spare cash in Euros, USD, local currency and perhaps regional currency e.g. Russian roubles in Central Asia
- Nice long piece of string
- Couple of metres of gaffer tape (easy to carry wrapped around a pencil)
- Blu Tak for use as ear plugs
- Bandana or similar
- Empty bag for presents/souvenirs
- Will usually pick up a local SIM in-country, they are often very cheap

Hope that helps someone.