Mini ice age coming?

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: Mini ice age coming?

Post by grenfell »

Climate change , either up or down temperature wise , is another of those long slow crashes . Similar to but much more drawn out than the economic problems we face. Things will change little by little , I certainly don't expect to open the curtains one morning to be confronted by a herd (?) of giraffes or a mile high wall of ice. That slowness is helpful in many ways as it does give us the time to react although by the same measure it's more than possible to overlook those little changes and for the whole thing to creep up on us and catch us unawares.
Going on to tolerance's theory about people seeking the sun I think he has a point . Ok so perhaps hardly a scientific theory but there's a definite element of truth in it. From my limited experience of my family holidays "have" to be taken somewhere sunny and warm. I've been with them before but it frankly gets a bit boring sitting round in the sun all day so this year ( and the last few to be honest ) I've stayed at home. I also re-enact and enjoy things like steam fairs but again most of these are in the summer months , try finding one in November or January . Short of bonfire night little really happens outdoors on a large scale after September and as the summer are my busier work periods it means I miss out on any events,
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

tolerance wrote:Interesting read OP, (thanks for sharing)
Not really sure what to make of it.

I think just being mentally aware of this scenario potentially happening one day is the biggest prep you could have.

I think with changes in Weather it is quite often more of a mental battle than a physical one especially for (how can i word this without sounding pretentious or rude) people who are not as well informed on global issues and the threats that face us.

(about to go off on a tangent/rant so be warned) :D

The majority of people especially in the UK have a very strange affinity when it comes to the Sun and Hot weather.
So psychologically i think a mini ice age of sorts would really cause huge problems for peoples mental health in our country.

I know Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is often portrayed in society these days as being far more common than it actually is (but surly the numbers would grow tenfold)
much like OCD its almost seen as a 'trendy' health issue to have....
So that a real concern to me.

But more worrying to me is Societies almost dependency on going where The Sun is, People will travel hundreds if not thousands of miles just to lay in the sun for a week.
Now i am not saying that is wrong ya know different strokes for different folks.
But i strongly believe there is a social dependency/addiction/expectation these days on being in the sun, getting a tan, and only being able to do stuff/activities when the weather is hot/sunny.

So i worry that a mini ice age could really cause a mass migration of people to leave The UK and head towards hotter climates because i really believe there is a kind of Sun dependency in this country,
I know it sounds like a complete tinfoil hat theory
but i do believe i am onto something here :tinfoil

Also how would a mini ice age affect our farming procedures, I don't know nearly enough about the industry to comment but longer colder winters and cooler summers would that be a positive or negative for food suppliers.

The mini ice age is much like any other force of nature or natural disaster, I hope it does not happen
but it probably will
so i will adjust and assess when the time comes, Until then what really can we prep for.....?
Because we don't know how bad it is going to be.

Will it be as easy as turning the thermostat up a click or chucking another log on the fire or will it be more serious like food shortages, being snowed in for weeks and the likes.

Peace of mind and accepting that this a potential possibility in our future is by far the most important prep we have.

We could have start a mini ice age then to only be told in 10 years time on the 19/9/2029 a 50 mile long asteroid is going to hit the earth....

The mini ice age will seem like a penny dropping in the ocean.

Its all perspective,

As preppers i like to think we are pretty educated and globally aware which is quite rare in society,
We understand that not everyday is a sunny day,
Yes we can prepare for the rainy days,
but most importantly...

We are smart enough to know that the rainy days need to happen to so we can really appreciate the sunny ones.

That is a concept a lot of un prepper folk don't understand.

Because they expect everyday to be sunny and the world just isn't like that, No matter how much we all would like it to be.
This bit seems a bit self congratulatory to me, not all preppers are the same and we're certainly not somehow 'smarter' or whatever. While I have sun cream and longjohns its not in anticipation of any 'weather of doom' scenario.
tc556guy

Post by tc556guy »

They were trying to scare us with stories about a new ice when I was a kid in the 70s. Which made the whole "global warming" hype a few short decades later sound so much more unbelievable.
*My views discussed on this forum are personal opinion and do not constitute information released in an official capacity*
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

tc556guy wrote:They were trying to scare us with stories about a new ice when I was a kid in the 70s. Which made the whole "global warming" hype a few short decades later sound so much more unbelievable.
While I too can remember some reports saying that in the '70's it seems the truth is a little different,
https://www.skepticalscience.com/ice-ag ... -1970s.htm
Perhaps the pro ice age lot gave a better or rather more frightening impact than the majority.
On the subject of giving us stories that scare us I think it's a very tight line between giving out data that may scare or upset verses withholding that information and keeping us blissfully in the dark. Either way it's going to upset some and lead to half truths and conspiracies .
tc556guy

Post by tc556guy »

grenfell wrote:
tc556guy wrote:They were trying to scare us with stories about a new ice when I was a kid in the 70s. Which made the whole "global warming" hype a few short decades later sound so much more unbelievable.
While I too can remember some reports saying that in the '70's it seems the truth is a little different,
Perhaps the pro ice age lot gave a better or rather more frightening impact than the majority.
On the subject of giving us stories that scare us I think it's a very tight line between giving out data that may scare or upset verses withholding that information and keeping us blissfully in the dark. Either way it's going to upset some and lead to half truths and conspiracies .
I wonder why stories like that one sound like so much historical revisionism, a re-writing of history.
The article tries to dismiss it as selective memory recalling one thing while something else was actually happening
I don't buy it
There are a constant stream of stories about one thing or another that can cause you personal harm, or humanity is doing XYZ damage to the planet
They constantly change to the point that I disregard all of them and take anything they say with a huge lump of salt
*My views discussed on this forum are personal opinion and do not constitute information released in an official capacity*
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I have a healthy dollop of cynicism too so can't fault you there.
To be honest what was or wasn't in the media four decades ago is pretty irrelevant really. The evidence is overwhelming that the earth has been warming and stories of impending ice ages don't do any good , quite the opposite in fact . As you yourself say , you disregard what is presented and that meme is all to often repeated through the population with the result people don't or won't make changes to their lifestyles or habits.
tc556guy

Post by tc556guy »

grenfell wrote:I have a healthy dollop of cynicism too so can't fault you there.
To be honest what was or wasn't in the media four decades ago is pretty irrelevant really. The evidence is overwhelming that the earth has been warming and stories of impending ice ages don't do any good , quite the opposite in fact . As you yourself say , you disregard what is presented and that meme is all to often repeated through the population with the result people don't or won't make changes to their lifestyles or habits.
One thing I don't accept is that we are to blame, and that we need to make all of these lifestyle adjustments according to "them"
Some of them are so radical they think that the planet can only support 10% of its current population.
I wouldn't put it past these loons to come up with some massive de-population scheme to "save Mother Earth".
Of course they see themselves as part of the magically saved 10% that remain.
You'd think if they were so concerned about over-population they'd do us all a favor by taking a short hop off a chair with some clotheslines tied off around their necks.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

tc556guy wrote:
grenfell wrote:
I wonder why stories like that one sound like so much historical revisionism, a re-writing of history.
The article tries to dismiss it as selective memory recalling one thing while something else was actually happening
I don't buy it
There are a constant stream of stories about one thing or another that can cause you personal harm, or humanity is doing XYZ damage to the planet
They constantly change to the point that I disregard all of them and take anything they say with a huge lump of salt
It really does depend on which 'they' you feel an affinity with, the 'they' that coincide with your (or my) world view tend to be wise and have a well considered viewpoint, the other ones, well, they're just plain wrong. :lol:

Like yourself, I tend to take a couple of marching paces to weigh these things up. My cynical side says there's ALWAYS an agenda of some sort, even if its just personal pride but of course its not always the case and some are just passionate about what they believe to be right with no (or minimal agenda, we all like to be right :D ). We make our own minds up on stuff and then look for 'facts' to back them up a lot of the time.
tc556guy

Post by tc556guy »

Deeps wrote: Like yourself, I tend to take a couple of marching paces to weigh these things up. My cynical side says there's ALWAYS an agenda of some sort, even if its just personal pride but of course its not always the case and some are just passionate about what they believe to be right with no (or minimal agenda, we all like to be right :D ). We make our own minds up on stuff and then look for 'facts' to back them up a lot of the time.
Don't get me wrong; everyone is entitled to their opinion
When people start trying to formulate national policies based on what I think is ridiculous science, policies that impact me, well, then it's gone beyond simply being someone's opinion.
Then you have all sorts of ridiculous hangers-on jumping on the bandwagon, like the third world nations who see a new cash cow they can tap into by claiming that the first world developed nations owe them reparations for ecological damage associated with 'global warming"
As if any of those nations have ever been at the forefront of trying to curb their own ecological sins.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

tc556guy wrote:
Deeps wrote: Like yourself, I tend to take a couple of marching paces to weigh these things up. My cynical side says there's ALWAYS an agenda of some sort, even if its just personal pride but of course its not always the case and some are just passionate about what they believe to be right with no (or minimal agenda, we all like to be right :D ). We make our own minds up on stuff and then look for 'facts' to back them up a lot of the time.
Don't get me wrong; everyone is entitled to their opinion
When people start trying to formulate national policies based on what I think is ridiculous science, policies that impact me, well, then it's gone beyond simply being someone's opinion.
Then you have all sorts of ridiculous hangers-on jumping on the bandwagon, like the third world nations who see a new cash cow they can tap into by claiming that the first world developed nations owe them reparations for ecological damage associated with 'global warming"
As if any of those nations have ever been at the forefront of trying to curb their own ecological sins.
It does however creep into politics, if enough people don't see a subject as mumbo jumbo and buy into it then it becomes 'sensible'. History is littered with things we look back on as 'wrong' but at the time made sense. Ultimately its all down to opinions, I'm really not wanting to open a can of worms on this but in the US the whole gun 'thing' is down to opinions, and its opinions that make laws and then amend them. If a majority feel strongly then it becomes 'right' even if a large minority disagree.

I'm not even touching your third world stuff mate.