Mini ice age coming?

How are you preparing
katilea

Mini ice age coming?

Post by katilea »

Anyone else seen this in news?

http://www.aol.co.uk/living/2016/06/29/ ... i-ice-age/

Some reports are saying as early as 2019 some saying 2030. so if we're gonna have a mini ice age in 3 years how would you start prepping? ..and when would you start?
Catweazle

Re: Mini ice age coming?

Post by Catweazle »

This solar minimum is happening at the same time as we are having the hottest years in recorded history. When the Sun comes back to full power we will be wishing we'd left all that fossil fuel in the ground.
katilea

Post by katilea »

Catweazle wrote:This solar minimum is happening at the same time as we are having the hottest years in recorded history. When the Sun comes back to full power we will be wishing we'd left all that fossil fuel in the ground.
so ....what? ...we wouldn't get severe minus temps and several feet of snow??? or will it depend how far North you are? ..not feeling too hot here at minute considering it's july, had nothing but rain and wind all week!
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

katilea wrote:
Catweazle wrote:This solar minimum is happening at the same time as we are having the hottest years in recorded history. When the Sun comes back to full power we will be wishing we'd left all that fossil fuel in the ground.
so ....what? ...we wouldn't get severe minus temps and several feet of snow??? or will it depend how far North you are? ..not feeling too hot here at minute considering it's july, had nothing but rain and wind all week!
2016 is on course to be the global hottest year recorded, taking the title from 2015. Most of the global hottest years have been since 2000.

If we can keep breaking temperature records even though we're in a solar cool period, it doesn't look good for us when the Sun becomes more active again.
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

According to Wikipedia NASA recorded a solar minimum in 2009, the sun follows an 11 year cycle with a minimum on one end and a maximum on the other.... So at a guess the next solar minimum should be 2020.

The maunder minimum in the 16th century saw the river Thames freeze over but that was extreme.... Although if I remember rightly I was working security in Dover near the seafront and with windchill it was like minus 10 degrees C.

Looks like we will just have to buy extra hats, gloves and fuel to keep the heating on and see what happens
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Deeps wrote:Image

Winter arrives every year, some just can't get their heads round it. :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
7 lives

Post by 7 lives »

Brambles your post made me chuckle so much had to nebulise!Loved it.Personally me plus woolly vest haven't been parted yet this year and its July already!
CynicalSurvival

Post by CynicalSurvival »

Spot on. Human activity has already pushed us so far out from the 'norm' that there is no chance of a mini ice age. I recently did a good MOOC on climate science (and climate science denial) that I would recommend - https://www.edx.org/course/making-sense ... nial101x-1

The problem is not just the active denial but also ignorance on the part of the media.
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

CynicalSurvival wrote: Spot on. Human activity has already pushed us so far out from the 'norm' that there is no chance of a mini ice age.
Actually, that is not quite true. The mild climate you have in the UK and the warm summers in this subartic region, is due to the Gulf stream. Saltwater weighs more than fresh water, and lets say that the global warming would melt a glacier or two and all that water leaked out in the Atlantic, the Gulf stream would flow under it or completly change it's direction, leaving us freezing our b***s of and a new ice age would be upon us.

How long this manmade ice age would last? No idea, it will be the first one in history, so it might well be an mini ice age, as well as a real one.