A Prepper Proposition

How are you preparing
sfcfinchrs

A Prepper Proposition

Post by sfcfinchrs »

Hi All,

As many know I tend to take a different view on things at times.

I have mentioned this to JM during PM's.

I view sensible Preppers as the new Civil Defence Corps in this world.

Think about it for a moment and if you think I am full of crap then please comment.

After thinking about it. Ask yourself how much of a small effort it would take to gear yourself up with reference material and oganisational knowledge to advise your community on how to deal with SHTF?

Think VERY hard about this.

This is not a huge leap. I am in no way saying you and yours should be the leaders. What you need to be is the knowlegable advisor.

Just a few thoughts.
I don't do politics or religion. Seen to many people die because of these.

I post to contribute so take as you see fit. My way is not the only way.

Cheers
poppypiesdad

Re: A Prepper Proposition

Post by poppypiesdad »

Could go two ways
Oooof knee jerk reaction , who's this nutter ,and why is he trying to tell us this crap
Or
Let's go to his house and raid it , he's a prepper hes got stuff we need

I would say keep quiet , stay grey and keep calm and carry on

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Already part of my plan. Also very much the thinking behind Greer's Green Wizard experiment. Neill Strauss describes an analogous process in his book Emergency (great fun to read!) as he goes from scaredy-cat urban lightweight to rootin' tootin' Civil Defence volunteer via a load of other upskilling.

Way I see it is - if you're the guy with the skills and the knowledge, you can be more useful. I have no wish to be the Leader, but am happy to be the Leader's technical consultant.
andysolo

Post by andysolo »

I personally think your going need some type of community, be it extended family, neighbours or other preppers if a big shtf scenario happened. I think it would personally be to hard to try and do everything on your own. Unless your starting community with other prepper's I think going be something you will find hard organise until after the shtf. I've tried with family and the only person I managed to get on board is my brother and I think this because he got similar mind set to me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

featherstick wrote:Already part of my plan. Also very much the thinking behind Greer's Green Wizard experiment. Neill Strauss describes an analogous process in his book Emergency (great fun to read!) as he goes from scaredy-cat urban lightweight to rootin' tootin' Civil Defence volunteer via a load of other upskilling.

Way I see it is - if you're the guy with the skills and the knowledge, you can be more useful. I have no wish to be the Leader, but am happy to be the Leader's technical consultant.
Agreed - my model is Dan Forrester in Lucifer's Hammer :)
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

What sort of flip in society would bring about the need for a Civil Defence Corp? I'm genuinely interested to know more about how you see the CDC would evolve and what it's purpose would be.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
sfcfinchrs

Post by sfcfinchrs »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:What sort of flip in society would bring about the need for a Civil Defence Corp? I'm genuinely interested to know more about how you see the CDC would evolve and what it's purpose would be.
I think that we are looking at the status quo being the order of things until something happens.

Them after ensuring that yours and your own are safe and ok, the wider part of the equation come into effect.

As I said before. Preppers have the ability to advise others on how to better withstand the rigors of the " when something goes wrong"

Yes this needs to be done carefully. Yet be thinking about it now. The prepper can come up with ideas of how to safely serve the wider good. Whether it be limited to extended family, friends and neighbors. Or dropping words of advise to community leaders.

Cheers
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sfcfinchrs wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:What sort of flip in society would bring about the need for a Civil Defence Corp? I'm genuinely interested to know more about how you see the CDC would evolve and what it's purpose would be.
I think that we are looking at the status quo being the order of things until something happens.

Them after ensuring that yours and your own are safe and ok, the wider part of the equation come into effect.

As I said before. Preppers have the ability to advise others on how to better withstand the rigors of the " when something goes wrong"

Yes this needs to be done carefully. Yet be thinking about it now. The prepper can come up with ideas of how to safely serve the wider good. Whether it be limited to extended family, friends and neighbors. Or dropping words of advise to community leaders.
I think its still going to come down to the various personalities involved. I wouldn't say preppers are a 'breed apart' and just because you've got 6 months worth of food and know how to forage (for example) would elevate a prepper. You seem to assume that we all have a myriad array of skills, I don't. If there's some sort of epidemic then medical people would have more valuable info than your average prepper, potentially engineers or builders might be extremely useful if there are any construction required......the list goes on and anyone with anything to offer would and should chip in what they can. As a prepper with a load of food and equipment that might be a big help to others anyway, if you withhold those supplies though, you might not be popular. I wouldn't just think about skill sets anyway, people have to believe what you tell them so being 'charming' will probably help you just as much after a disaster as before it. We're a funny bunch us people.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I'm not sure I'm with the OP on this. I don't see myself in any way being the person to reform or rebuild even my immediate community. I actually spend a bit of time pondering how my neighbours view me and this is just my opinion of course, but I'd suggest taking a look at yourself from your neighbour's perspective to see where you fit, if only as a preparedness exercise. It might not be as rosy spectacled as you may think.

No offence meant, just making a point.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
sfcfinchrs

Post by sfcfinchrs »

All good points and healthy debate.

Glad this thread has stimulated discussion.

Cheers