Prepping for Poverty???

How are you preparing
Alloneword

Re: Prepping for Poverty???

Post by Alloneword »

I'll admit i have not read all of this so sorry if it's not right for you but i get my phone line from BT and broadband from plusnet at £12.50 per month, i have a rubbish speed max of 4mbits but that is because i'm so far away from the exchange, however where i make a killing is on my line rental, you pay just over £5 a month and you get some calls for free on that as well but not many, and the cost of calls is a wee bit higher then normal, so if you make a lot of BT calls be very careful, but £17 a quarter i think is the final bill, also if you need a phone line maybe for one of those things that go round your neck and you press if you fall i'm sure i read it can be got for sod all, just something that i thought of.

Oh yea it's called "BT Basic"

All1

http://www.btplc.com/Inclusion/Products ... /index.htm
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
katilea

Post by katilea »

Alloneword wrote:I'll admit i have not read all of this so sorry if it's not right for you but i get my phone line from BT and broadband from plusnet at £12.50 per month, i have a rubbish speed max of 4mbits but that is because i'm so far away from the exchange, however where i make a killing is on my line rental, you pay just over £5 a month and you get some calls for free on that as well but not many, and the cost of calls is a wee bit higher then normal, so if you make a lot of BT calls be very careful, but £17 a quarter i think is the final bill, also if you need a phone line maybe for one of those things that go round your neck and you press if you fall i'm sure i read it can be got for sod all, just something that i thought of.

Oh yea it's called "BT Basic"

All1

http://www.btplc.com/Inclusion/Products ... /index.htm
It only has a 10GB usage for the BB and I originally switched to BT for a free BB thinking it was unlimited but kept getting messages I was close to going over the limit. they would only switch me to £18 unlimited BB which then went up to £37 without them telling me. I have complained as I'm unable to log in to access their site online. I can't remember the password and they won't accept my answer to security question. At no point did they ever tell me about BT Basic but it mentions it doesn't include operator calls, that might include going through Typetalk when using a minicom???

I don't make alot of callls but when I do they take longer than your average call by voice as I have to type everything out then wait for the operator to relay to me what the other person has said (operator types what they have said so I read it back on my minicom, then speaks my reply to the other person) They do offer a rebate on calls though and are only ones that do.

Usually the free BB offers mean you have to take line rental with them (plusnet etc) and then lose the typetalk rebate so free BB for a year etc makes it worthwhile as you save on costs there. I had emailed Plusnet and got a reply when I'd followed a link to a free BB plan from a comparison site, however its not mentioned on their site. There's only a cheaper BB offer (not completely free) when I replied to their answer saying I couldn't find the free BB on their site I've had no reply since.

I never understood how this tethering worked? I've had a data plan from giff gaff before but it only worked on my phone. I've no idea if my tablet has a sim card slot though it should have a USB as its a Samsung Galaxy 12.2" I've thought of a mobile BB thing before but I've no idea what the GB's meant but if I run out at 10GB a month, 12GB isn't going to last me a year??
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

No tethering would not work for you if you are using 10gb pm now , the limit is 4gb for tethering..........

Just as an aside tethering is easy , just go into your phones menu usually something like settings>wifi or networks and it will be labeled tethering or wifi hotspot, simply switch it on (either give it a password or make a note of the one it has) then search for wifi networks on your lappy, tablet etc and connect to it giving the password if needed.......
katilea

Post by katilea »

tanstaafl wrote:No tethering would not work for you if you are using 10gb pm now , the limit is 4gb for tethering..........

Just as an aside tethering is easy , just go into your phones menu usually something like settings>wifi or networks and it will be labeled tethering or wifi hotspot, simply switch it on (either give it a password or make a note of the one it has) then search for wifi networks on your lappy, tablet etc and connect to it giving the password if needed.......
Thanks I might look into it, maybe worth getting a USB thing or extra data as back up, incase snow caused power cuts or something. I think I'd use too much usually.
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

katilea wrote:It only has a 10GB usage for the BB and I originally switched to BT for a free BB thinking it was unlimited but kept getting messages I was close to going over the limit. they would only switch me to £18 unlimited BB which then went up to £37 without them telling me. I have complained as I'm unable to log in to access their site online. I can't remember the password and they won't accept my answer to security question. At no point did they ever tell me about BT Basic but it mentions it doesn't include operator calls, that might include going through Typetalk when using a minicom???

I don't make alot of callls but when I do they take longer than your average call by voice as I have to type everything out then wait for the operator to relay to me what the other person has said (operator types what they have said so I read it back on my minicom, then speaks my reply to the other person) They do offer a rebate on calls though and are only ones that do.

Usually the free BB offers mean you have to take line rental with them (plusnet etc) and then lose the typetalk rebate so free BB for a year etc makes it worthwhile as you save on costs there. I had emailed Plusnet and got a reply when I'd followed a link to a free BB plan from a comparison site, however its not mentioned on their site. There's only a cheaper BB offer (not completely free) when I replied to their answer saying I couldn't find the free BB on their site I've had no reply since.

I never understood how this tethering worked? I've had a data plan from giff gaff before but it only worked on my phone. I've no idea if my tablet has a sim card slot though it should have a USB as its a Samsung Galaxy 12.2" I've thought of a mobile BB thing before but I've no idea what the GB's meant but if I run out at 10GB a month, 12GB isn't going to last me a year??
As i said i have not read this all the way through but i think you miss understand me.

You get your phone line from BT by signing up to "BT Basic" all this gives you is your phone line and a small number of calls thrown in, you then need an ISP, for me i use plusnet at £12.50 a month that is UNLIMITED broadband for £12.50 no cap what so ever so far this month i have downloaded over 500GB and i have a poxy 4mbit line, so for a year it will cost you £211 for a whole year works out at £17.60 a month for unlimted BB and your phone line rental, and a few calls thrown in as well, if i have the wrong end of the stick i'm sorry

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.