I thought I was prepping

How are you preparing
cornerstone
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:40 am

Re: I thought I was prepping

Post by cornerstone » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:23 pm

mine too comes in waves, mostly in the summer as that is when you can get out there into the garden shopping for winter and getting ready for winter so i tend to do it in the summer and use it up in the winter, get some ideas in winter for the summer to do list and they go on my calendar on certain to do months, like projects clearing out the outhouse for winter veg growing, new fire and so on.

Forres
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:55 am

Re: I thought I was prepping

Post by Forres » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:16 pm

I guess everyone prepps in their own way as stated on previous posts. My prepping does come in waves also but usually content with what I've done so far. I don't go over board but mainly looking for the small things that can really be of help such as filter pens, survival food (home made) which I tend to test every now and then when we go camping.

But saying that, there are times when I think, 'Do I really need to do this'? Then when I look at what's happening in the world and in Europe I think then yes, this is something everyone should be doing. I tend to prep for the worst case scenario's which to my mind would be a complete break down of law and order which would be become an every man for themselves scenario. For things like the national grid going down or a major flood I'm well prepared for that but not too concerned. Thats just my thoughts and sue many will disagree.

But either way you look at it your doing a damn fine job.

AlwaysPrepping
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:19 pm

Re: I thought I was prepping

Post by AlwaysPrepping » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:58 pm

I started off in a very bad way all i was collecting was knives, bows, rifles and crossbows and started not to really think of a bigger picture. So up to 6 months ago i had more of an armory then a supply of items that would actually help.As others have said i would start off slow and think before you buy and take each section one at a time whilst adding a tin or two a week to the food stores.

User avatar
Plymtom
Posts: 2659
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:11 pm
Location: Plymouth

Re: I thought I was prepping

Post by Plymtom » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:55 pm

AlwaysPrepping wrote:I started off in a very bad way all i was collecting was knives, bows, rifles and crossbows and started not to really think of a bigger picture. So up to 6 months ago i had more of an armory then a supply of items that would actually help.As others have said i would start off slow and think before you buy and take each section one at a time whilst adding a tin or two a week to the food stores.
Look on the bright side, you can go and join a club now and have some fun with that armory, it was reading about all the fun people had shooting/archery which got me off my butt and took the family out and haven't looked back ;)
You'll often hear/read the phrase store what you eat - eat what you store, same thing goes for the other stuff, if you don't go out and use it then it isn't going to be much good to you, and don't forget the toilet roll!
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.

User avatar
Deeps
Posts: 5795
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: I thought I was prepping

Post by Deeps » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:40 pm

Plymtom wrote:
AlwaysPrepping wrote:I started off in a very bad way all i was collecting was knives, bows, rifles and crossbows and started not to really think of a bigger picture. So up to 6 months ago i had more of an armory then a supply of items that would actually help.As others have said i would start off slow and think before you buy and take each section one at a time whilst adding a tin or two a week to the food stores.
Look on the bright side, you can go and join a club now and have some fun with that armory, it was reading about all the fun people had shooting/archery which got me off my butt and took the family out and haven't looked back ;)
You'll often hear/read the phrase store what you eat - eat what you store, same thing goes for the other stuff, if you don't go out and use it then it isn't going to be much good to you, and don't forget the toilet roll!
This is it, I've tried to cover all my bases if we lose lecky/gas/cash etc, while you can't really prepare for every single scenario you do what you can. As it stands if my house burnt down or I was driven out I'd be without all my stuff but I've no plans (at the moment certainly) to cache stuff elsewhere but you don't know what's round the corner. I think I've got any relatively short term issues covered, I've got water, the ability to clean extra water, food, shelter, lighting, fuel, cooking, solar charging and of course bog roll covered. Dealing with envious neighbours is where things have the potential to get complicated which is why I'd be willing to help if I could depending on what the situation was. I genuinely think cooperation and friendship is the best preps you can have, no man is an island and all that, not even Lewis. :P

Yorkshire Andy
Posts: 4708
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: I thought I was prepping

Post by Yorkshire Andy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:44 pm

Deeps wrote: Dealing with envious neighbours is where things have the potential to get complicated which is why I'd be willing to help if I could depending on what the situation was. I genuinely think cooperation and friendship is the best preps you can have, no man is an island and all that, not even Lewis. :P

"why do you have electric yet no one else does?" :lol:

presents neighbour with confused look..

"your living room is all lit up?"

ahh...

That will be the £250 cycle light i have ....

Line up a very confused look....

pick up said stupidly priced off road HID push bike light and blind neighbour with it....


"oh" and off he went..... :lol:


(i got that light years ago when super bright lights with lithium packs cost the earth)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine

Post Reply