I thought I was prepping

How are you preparing
Londonpreppy

Re: I thought I was prepping

Post by Londonpreppy »

Message for the OP.

I do things in waves - I think it's natural. Besides, you have to live your life. You can't spend every waking moment prepping - it may never happen afterall. ....... and spending time with your family, work, friends, and getting on with real life - gives us the motivation to prepare.

For me the reason why I prepare is so I can be of use, it's so I can give the people I love and care about a fighting chance.

I'm not in it for myself. I want to know that while it's just dawning on my other half that something bad happened - I can say, it's OK, we got food, I can still make dinner. So that he can go on protecting me - I mean the least i can do is make sure he's got something to eat and batteries in his torch while he goes out to investigate what 'that noise was'.....not literally but you know what I'm getting at ;)

Someone waves a fist in my face, well he's going to jump in front to take the punch. If neighbours turn up demanding food he's going to be having that conversation not me - he's bigger and more self assured than me.

So I know if SHTF that's the role he'll take. I want to know I'm not going to be a total drain as I basically cry that I'm scared. My other half doesn't give two hoots about prepping. He's a 'I will deal with it if it happens' type of guy... Tonight I told him I put a little whistle on his keyring - you know in case he gets trapped under rubble - he said "excellent now with a whistle and a torch I will be able to have myself a rave while trapped" and then he did a stupid rave dance and I laughed and he laughed and he went back to the football but then an hour later for no reason out the blue he just said 'love you'.

if something does happen he'll remember the torch and the whistle and it could save his life. He knows that but I try not to ram prepping down his throat or take over our free time.

I hope this is all making sense....

I want to know that if I can get back home to my family up north, I can do it safely and hopefully bring a load of supplies with me. I don't want to turn up and be an extra mouth to find food for.

I want to be part of the solution not part of the problem.

But if I spent all my free time and money on prepping at the sake of my relationships then what's the point?

And that's why waves are totally normal and healthy.

I'm stock piling a box. I buy foods that genuinely I probably wouldn't really eat - don't get me wrong I'd eat it if I was hungry but I never sit at home and think - ohhhhh I have some 33p kidney beans I might crack them open for tea tonight or shall I cook that curry in a can? :lol:

If I see batteries on offer I get them, if there's a deal on 3 for 2 on an interesting looking tin of something I get it.

Prepping isn't something fancy - its just making sure you have 24 toilet rolls rather than 9 in the house. At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo. :lol:

Don't be too hard on yourself.
11thhourdad

Post by 11thhourdad »

Second what Londonpreppy has said.

I'm doing this for my recent grandson and the rest of my family. If I enjoy myself (and I am) along the journey it's an added extra.

There's nothing wrong with waves but ride them rather than get caught up in them. This way you won't throw cash at things and regret it later.

Research is everything. Spend the time and not the money. It will save you buying again later.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Londonpreppy wrote: Prepping isn't something fancy - its just making sure you have 24 toilet rolls rather than 9 in the house. At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo. :lol:
This^
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Drakie79

Post by Drakie79 »

Hell I don't care how skilled I was I 'd be the first out there raiding and stealing whatever I could (in relation to the joining the masses and so on). I 'd be an evil type in a bad situation (though I tend to call it realistic). As for prepping I do some stuff here and there; but I favour enjoying what I have now. Sometimes I wonder if I should take up skills but I never get to it.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Drakie79 wrote:Hell I don't care how skilled I was I 'd be the first out there raiding and stealing whatever I could (in relation to the joining the masses and so on). I 'd be an evil type in a bad situation (though I tend to call it realistic). As for prepping I do some stuff here and there; but I favour enjoying what I have now. Sometimes I wonder if I should take up skills but I never get to it.

I do hope you are kidding, if not, maybe this Forum isn't for you.

Again, for all members, this Forum doesn't condone any illegal activity either before, during or after TEOTWAWKI.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Drakie79 wrote:Hell I don't care how skilled I was I 'd be the first out there raiding and stealing whatever I could (in relation to the joining the masses and so on). I 'd be an evil type in a bad situation (though I tend to call it realistic). As for prepping I do some stuff here and there; but I favour enjoying what I have now. Sometimes I wonder if I should take up skills but I never get to it.
I dare say in extreme situations a lot of us would do stuff we wouldn't be proud of but resorting to raiding as a first option ? Are you sure you're a prepper ? For me the point is having the stuff in advance so I don't need to risk joining the hordes fighting each other over a tin of beans. I'm not a fan of putting myself at risk, it could be the end of my career as a male model if I get my pretty face punched. :lol: and it hurts.

Calling something realistic doesn't make it any less dickish, I can't think of a situation where my first thought was "right, what can I loot first".
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

* Edited by Moderator*
Go back to your video games and B movies, real life isn't what you read about in comics.
Purely for your own safety, in a WROL situation anything you want will be defended, and you're far from being a super villain, you might get lucky once or twice, then you'll run out of luck and end up dead.

Really, advice for right now, planning to rob and hurt people come the zombie apocalypse marks you out as someone with serious psychological problems, you should get some help with that.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

ok ok, lets say you got all the camping gear and the bug outy thingies and then you get ill.... but you haven't got the mechanisms to get healthy... what then?

What's more likely? a complete breakdown of society or getting a health problem? And what if you have all the cool gear and cool toys but don't have the wherewithal to last a few months of unemployment as far as paying the bills are concerned?

Then ask yourself what's more likely, the destruction of the world as a result of pandemics and a worst case scenario economic meltdown and a long period of unemployment?

Then think about what the term means in practice.

I don't have all the cool gadgets, I am certainly no end times person, I am not even a conspiracy theorists and I don't believe in a situation where a civilian militia needs to take control.

I am just a normal person who just happens to have a water distiller, a basic first aid kit, basic olive oil lamp making equipment, a hand warmer and suitable clothing plus a small stash of long shelf life foods and not all that much of that at the moment. Sure i also have one gas and one ethanol stove, a bioethanol fireplace, a fair few torches and the like.

I am prepared for the basics. You got to work out what's gonna happen and then do what you can to look after yourself.

Find your own method.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I have to say I think that is an appalling thing to say. If that's how you feel, why are you on a prepping forum? Raiding and stealing is as far from prepping as it gets! :evil:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

nickdutch wrote:ok ok, lets say you got all the camping gear and the bug outy thingies and then you get ill.... but you haven't got the mechanisms to get healthy... what then?

What's more likely? a complete breakdown of society or getting a health problem? And what if you have all the cool gear and cool toys but don't have the wherewithal to last a few months of unemployment as far as paying the bills are concerned?

Then ask yourself what's more likely, the destruction of the world as a result of pandemics and a worst case scenario economic meltdown and a long period of unemployment?

Then think about what the term means in practice.

I don't have all the cool gadgets, I am certainly no end times person, I am not even a conspiracy theorists and I don't believe in a situation where a civilian militia needs to take control.

I am just a normal person who just happens to have a water distiller, a basic first aid kit, basic olive oil lamp making equipment, a hand warmer and suitable clothing plus a small stash of long shelf life foods and not all that much of that at the moment. Sure i also have one gas and one ethanol stove, a bioethanol fireplace, a fair few torches and the like.

I am prepared for the basics. You got to work out what's gonna happen and then do what you can to look after yourself.

Find your own method.
Wheres that 'like' button.