Fishing

How are you preparing
Mr R

Fishing

Post by Mr R »

This week I've taken up fishing again. No idea what I'm doing yet - I need to go out for a few days with my Dad, as I have even forgotten the basics.

An enjoyable way to meet like minded people.
jansman

Re: Fishing

Post by jansman »

As a fellow Angling Addict, I can assure you that you will make friends for life within the sport. :lol: A wonderful pastime!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Mr R wrote:This week I've taken up fishing again. No idea what I'm doing yet - I need to go out for a few days with my Dad, as I have even forgotten the basics.

An enjoyable way to meet like minded people.
I guarantee after two days on the bank you will want all the gear and never want to be anywhere else. If you are an outdoors person then you will be right at home.

What sort of fishing? Coarse i am guessing?
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

No, sea angling (after a 30 year break). I may also do some course fishing in the summer, but only occasionally.

I'm looking forward to it and eating the catch.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I adore sea fishing. Boat or beach? And the good thing is you do not need that much kit.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

Mainly beach, although I am trying to persuade my Dad to get his mate to invite me for a day out on his boat this summer!

Whilst I enjoy course fishing, sea fishing is more practical for me. There are some good spots near by, but more importantly, there is a good fishing club in the part of Devon that I intend to move to. Also, the staff in the fishing shop down there are helpful, as have been the locals - no snobbery and happy to answer my daft questions.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I used to go a lot years back, I've only been about twice in ten years, I think it was the peace and quiet more than the fishing. Still got most of my stuff, might blow the dust off it and go out one night.
munchh

Post by munchh »

I have been coarse fishing most of my life, most recently i have looked at making my kit as small but as effective as possible.
Last summer holiday i bought a telescopic sea rod as ive been using a coarse rod the last couple of times ive tried.

To be honest ive had no luck at all, the last time i put my frozen sand eel bait on my dash and they were cooked by my heater by the time i got to the beach :lol:
I am determined to catch myself some makrel at least this summer.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Just out of curiosity, if you don't know anyone who can teach you to fish, how do you get into it? Do you get local clubs and if so as it is a solo sport/activity/skill, would you get anyone who would be likely to want to teach you? As I said, just curious really as I love spending time outdoors lost in my own thoughts, so fishing sounds rather good fun and serves a practical purpose too.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

PreppingPingu wrote:Just out of curiosity, if you don't know anyone who can teach you to fish, how do you get into it? Do you get local clubs and if so as it is a solo sport/activity/skill, would you get anyone who would be likely to want to teach you? As I said, just curious really as I love spending time outdoors lost in my own thoughts, so fishing sounds rather good fun and serves a practical purpose too.
As I mentioned my Dad is teaching me how to fish again and I am finding it easier than I thought it would be. This is mainly due to my approach, which is to put a lugworm on a hook and cast it somewhere in the sea! As you can probably gather, I find the social side more interesting than the catch.

If you don't know someone who fishes, I recommend having a chat with the owner of the local angling shop. I have found all of them to be extremely helpful and friendly.

Also, all have invited me to meet with their club / group of customers for an hour, before committing to the hobby.