What's your thoughts on an EMP?

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What's your thoughts on an EMP?

Post by Arzosah »

BadgerSE wrote:
Arzosah wrote:I didn't research nukes at all.
To be fair you don't really need to research nukes. The maths is pretty simple to any kind of folk that fear that word..

Nuke} large chemical reaction x lots of energy = a very big bang and lots of carnage and destruction. :lol:
I like that :mrgreen:

Sadly, I'm a bit anal when it comes to researching, I lurve it ...
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

sniper 55 wrote:Personally I suspect it's a lot cheaper and easier to hack the systems and shut the grids down that way.

I agree, nowadays to cause the sort of damage an EMP would cause computer hacking is probably easier and more effective than building an EMP weapon or going the whole hog and nuking somewhere, also as this can be done from anywhere, there would be no obvious target to attack in revenge.

But saying all this, the cold war seems to be rearing it's ugly head again, with reports that Russia did a simulated nuking attack on Sweden, so who knows...
Up in the wet South Lakeland
i11matic1795

Post by i11matic1795 »

With how quickly the burglary rate has risen here in Carlisle in the aftermath of the floods I personally think there'd most likely be riots/unrest within 3 days anywhere in the country.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

You all are overlooking a coronal Mass Ejection OR CME which caused the Carrington event see A Perfect Solar Super storm: The 1859 Carrington Event http://www.history.com/news/a-perfect-s ... gton-event
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

There are 4 main types of detonation that need thinking about, 3 of which should not need you worrying about EMP.
Those 3 are sub-surface testing detonation, no EMP,

Near Earth detonation which has about as much EMP as the blast radius. You will not have to worry as if you are in the 3-5 mile radius of the most powerful yielding bomb then you are dead.

The last of the three is the ground detonation bomb which has 1 blast wave and 3 further waves which carry successive blasts of heat and debris caused by the collapse of the thermal column of the mushroom. This blast has also an EMP which will not need worrying about as if you are in range of the EMP then you are dead from the blast anyhow(roughly the same blast range as the one above but with more debris being chucked about and the big shroom).

The last detonation is the one I would think most likely, the high atmosphere detonation.
This detonation is the one that WILL release radiation over a very large area and fry anything with transistors at ground level. You will not notice anything different about your day except the power will be off, your mobile phone and house phone will be dead and your vehicle with electronic ignition will stop working or won't start. You will not be dead..............................................YET, and it won't be radiation that does kill you.
It would need roughly 3 spaced high altitude detonations to make the UK go dark and this is the most logical detonation which should signal an invasion of any type onto our Britain.
It is after all the first rule of invasion to disrupt the communications of the country you are targeting and this type of detonation is as good as it gets.

Protection of comms is simple. I intend to have all my comms, if I read the signs correctly, in a simple wooden trunk with a continuous wrapping of your basic cooking foil around it. All joints and edges of the foil sealed with builders silver tape for silver faced insulation. My radios will also be treated with the same method prior to being put in the trunk.
At ground level you need only protect your equipment from 100 db of radiation.

Simple as that really,

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
defender130

What's your thoughts on an EMP?

Post by defender130 »

Was thinking about this yesterday and did a bit of googling, didn't somewhere in the US do a load of EMP tests on vehicles and a lot of them either stayed running as normal or did nothing more than throw up a few warning lights

Something to do with the car shell itself acting like a faraday cage and protecting most of it, that and most modern cars with electronics have them all shielded anyway to reduce interference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pennsif

One Second After

Post by Pennsif »

If you want to explore the potential realities of EMP strikes read 'One Second After' by William R Forstchen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Second-Afte ... B00OBVD40M

This explores the massive impact of just 3 groundburst nuke detonations over the USA.

Very worrying, very realistic, very plausible...?

Pennsif
Decaff

Re: One Second After

Post by Decaff »

Pennsif wrote:If you want to explore the potential realities of EMP strikes read 'One Second After' by William R Forstchen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Second-Afte ... B00OBVD40M

This explores the massive impact of just 3 groundburst nuke detonations over the USA.

Very worrying, very realistic, very plausible...?

Pennsif

Brilliant book! Yet to read One Year After as its not on Kindle....Yet!!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

defender130 wrote:Was thinking about this yesterday and did a bit of googling, didn't somewhere in the US do a load of EMP tests on vehicles and a lot of them either stayed running as normal or did nothing more than throw up a few warning lights

Something to do with the car shell itself acting like a faraday cage and protecting most of it, that and most modern cars with electronics have them all shielded anyway to reduce interference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they're the ones that normally turn up I'd take them with a pinch of salt

Problem is the Method of those experiments was flawed.
The vehicles had to be returned in the same condition they were supplied in therefore the tests had to be as non-destructive as possible (they started with a very low yield and retired each vehicle as soon as anything malfunctioned).
I don't think there was any repeat of the test series either so any result could just be a random failure.
Then the "Worst case" was extrapolated from the dodgy data meaning the results are nearly worthless.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Grumpy'sBetterHalf

Post by Grumpy'sBetterHalf »

The subject of cars and EMPs came up in our car yesterday (after we passed a Land Rover defender and spent the now compulsory few minutes of mourning...) and my son asked me whether you could still start a car with electronic ignition by rolling it down a hill. I had to say I have absolutely no idea!
Is that sort of thing disabled in modern cars? Could be a bit of a problem, since even our 17 year old car has electronic ignition. :cry: