What's your thoughts on an EMP?

How are you preparing
preparedsurrey

Re: What's your thoughts on an EMP?

Post by preparedsurrey »

No you couldn't. Modern vehicle ignition is entirely electronic controlled so it's not like having a flat battery. A pre 1990 diesel may be ok but they also rely on electronics operating the stop solenoid in the pump.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Grumpy'sBetterHalf

Post by Grumpy'sBetterHalf »

So would even something like an old Land Rover Defender still have a stop solenoid in the pump?
defender130

What's your thoughts on an EMP?

Post by defender130 »

My defender has a stop solenoid in the injection pump but as far as I am aware it is an electrically operated switch not an electronic component

Reading one second after which is based on an EMP hitting the U.S. They still have old cars working as there are no electronics but the starter which is electrical still works

The only way to guarantee would be to have a spare starter motor, alternator and stop solenoid in a faraday cage or some such EMP protected box

The series 3 diesel in the garage has a pull stop and a hand crank so that should be good to go regardless as long as I can get fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andysolo

Post by andysolo »

I find the subject of emp very interesting, I did little experiment while ago where I placed a mobile phone inside ammo can that was lined with plastic, when the ammo can was open I was able to ring the phone and it rung, but with it was closed I could not make phone ring at all. So I guess as Faraday cage it was success as emp proof encolsure I'm unsure. I still find hard to belive that emp wave would have that much effect throw air, I belive the real damage would be some type of induced voltage that would travel along power lines damaging what ever is plugged into the grid.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Andy the protection of emp had been discussed , shipping containers , biscuit tins , microwaves .
All you have proven is that the phone is not allowing radio waves through.

Unless there has been a massive redesign , ammo boxes have a neoprene rubber seal which won't allow the conductivity of the earth path possibly and I say possibly not protecting the item from a emp pulse .

Will it work ,don't know for sure
Won't it work ,don't know for sure
The thing is , if there is a pules and lots of things fry , there's a whole lot more important things gone

Your mobile
Needs a charger(electronic circuit)
Needs a base station , mast site , lot of electronics there
Needs connection at a BT site , lots of electronics there
Mobile phone provider , lots of computers , etc etc etc

I can't think that everything is hardened electronics to protect the whole "system"

Your mobile may turn on , and work without service
But the infrastructure behind it may be fried .

And no the induced voltage Is the phenomenon that will destroy transformers on the grid . Leading to a huge amount of line damage
That would not /could possibly damage items in the home

I've put a lot of its/buts and possibles
Until it happens. It's guess work .

Jamie
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

good succinct summary Jamie. :D
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
andysolo

Post by andysolo »

Good summary poppyiesdad like I said would the ammo can work more likely no, but was something I wanted to try out to see what would happen. As you said it's not the case of phone surviving it's rest network it relies on. What leads me to my next question, if you did hame an emp proof encolsure what would you put inside it. Mobile going be useless radio not going work if no radio station's. Personal coms unless walkie talkies or the person you want talk to has emp proofed there radio may be pointless aswell. What's your thought
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Two way radios. (no other gear needed point to point comms)
Coil , condenser , points , spark plugs , spark plug leads (to suit vehicles) ((just in case))
Multi meter (volt meter)
Spare boiler pcb
And a radio

That's about it , in a huge emp pulse , don't know what "infrastructure" would survive .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I don't think spark plug leads will be affected, even induced load is unlightly to get close to what they carry all the time.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

AN ammunition box may work if you bond the lid to the body and earth the lot. Safe with a metal cabinet or Filling cabinet every thing must be bonded to each other and earthed. the Idea is to provide a continuous path to earth for the pulse. As to inducted currents this mainly applies to power lines due to the length of the cable run. In the Carrington Event , Solar storm of 1859 see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859 . So a EMP can have natural Causes as well as Man Made ones. The Sun is a Harsh Mistress and gives and takes away.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.