What's your thoughts on an EMP?

How are you preparing
womble

Re: What's your thoughts on an EMP?

Post by womble »

Surely the hinge of an ammo can counts as bonding the lid to the body of the can?

The modern UK power grid isn't anything like as vulnerable to solar flare-based EMP as the North American "grid" of 1989, both because our lines are shorter and because our mitigation technologies are better implemented; at the very least we have fewer "single points of failure". Solar observation would mean that utilities would have several hours notice of the impact of the flare and if it was sufficiently serious, deliberate power down could be arranged, greatly reducing the aftershock impact, since all that would be required in most cases would be restoration of power, not repair of equipment. Natural EMP isn't going to cause the downfall of civilisation.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

womble wrote:Surely the hinge of an ammo can counts as bonding the lid to the body of the can?

The modern UK power grid isn't anything like as vulnerable to solar flare-based EMP as the North American "grid" of 1989, both because our lines are shorter and because our mitigation technologies are better implemented; at the very least we have fewer "single points of failure". Solar observation would mean that utilities would have several hours notice of the impact of the flare and if it was sufficiently serious, deliberate power down could be arranged, greatly reducing the aftershock impact, since all that would be required in most cases would be restoration of power, not repair of equipment. Natural EMP isn't going to cause the downfall of civilisation.

The hinge would give continuity, but for a Faraday cage to be "complete " it would need to be metal(whatever kind) on metal , and earthed.
But again ......wouldn't want to be wrong /or right.

I think it would take real balls for the national grid to pull the plug "just in case", however the UK grid has no massive runs like the US grid .

Interesting topic just wouldn't want to try it out

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

poppypiesdad wrote:
womble wrote:The modern UK power grid isn't anything like as vulnerable to solar flare-based EMP as the North American "grid" of 1989, both because our lines are shorter and because our mitigation technologies are better implemented; at the very least we have fewer "single points of failure". Solar observation would mean that utilities would have several hours notice of the impact of the flare and if it was sufficiently serious, deliberate power down could be arranged, greatly reducing the aftershock impact, since all that would be required in most cases would be restoration of power, not repair of equipment. Natural EMP isn't going to cause the downfall of civilisation.
... the UK grid has no massive runs like the US grid .
Agreed - if you look at images of maps of the UK grid and the American lines, the difference shouts out immediately. I researched it as best as I could, and decided it was very low on my list.

If you *did* want an impromptu Faraday cage, by the way, there's something far less esoteric than an ammo tin - Wilkinson's sell a bread bin of fairly hefty metal for only £10 :D even if you used a whole roll of aluminium foil to secure the lid, you've still got an extra storage device for a short term solar event.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Really getting my teeth into this one , would it need to be completely enclosed , would a "birdcage " do with the items isolated from the metal

The only thing is I'm looking around the plant room I'm in at the minute honestly I'm working
Electrical panels (fuse boxes ) have gasket on the doors so no continuity,
Ducting metal , suppose you could get a meter length of it and bolt end panels onto it completing the box but not very convenient and only a couple of mm thick
Chiller a large pipe about 3m long 450mm in diameter with bolted end caps about 3/4 " thick
Any pipe holes could be plugged with stop ends , giving you a huge container ,but not easy, to move , access, bit big .......

This isn't easy .
J
Be Prepared.
Appin

Post by Appin »

Its long and technical in parts but this might be of interest.

Report of the Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473 ... on-7MB.pdf

Regards

Appin
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Wow .Now that's a document .....
Be Prepared.
Jim Mac

Post by Jim Mac »

Hope these help you all. I have been using these for EMP Protection for some of my smaller electronics. As a back up I keep them in a faraday cage type construction as well to be double sure.

http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/product/faraday_bag

I'm not advertising / advocating their sale but just providing a link to where they can be found in the UK. The makers are from USA and on their website they show the value / durability of their items. Have been using for a couple of years now.

Mil Spec as per their videos on the website