Attacking the mortgage!

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: Attacking the mortgage!

Post by Deeps »

poppypiesdad wrote:Me too. But as a landlord we use a letting agent to try and keep all the crap away from us , but when you get a phone call that the washing machine is leaking , and you remind them that we did not supply a washing machine you wonder why the 9% you pay for to them from the rent when they don't know .

Also when the rent is late and both of them are sliding slower into behind when you remind them again that it's their job to do it not ours.

J
J, like in anything there are good and bad letting agents. I'd say 9% is on the cheap side, I use 2 different ones and I think we're getting 11% from one (we got in with her when she first started, I think she charges a wee bit more normally) and the other one is 12%, both provide a great service and one has been brilliant at getting work done cheaply, even managing to find a scheme for us to get a new boiler on some government scheme. If you're not happy have a wee nose around some of the others and ask what they charge/provide, you'll be in a better position now to know what to ask. I've used local as opposed to national ones, I've heard bad things about a couple of the bigger letting agents.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Deeps wrote:
poppypiesdad wrote:Me too. But as a landlord we use a letting agent to try and keep all the crap away from us , but when you get a phone call that the washing machine is leaking , and you remind them that we did not supply a washing machine you wonder why the 9% you pay for to them from the rent when they don't know .

Also when the rent is late and both of them are sliding slower into behind when you remind them again that it's their job to do it not ours.

J
J, like in anything there are good and bad letting agents. I'd say 9% is on the cheap side, I use 2 different ones and I think we're getting 11% from one (we got in with her when she first started, I think she charges a wee bit more normally) and the other one is 12%, both provide a great service and one has been brilliant at getting work done cheaply, even managing to find a scheme for us to get a new boiler on some government scheme. If you're not happy have a wee nose around some of the others and ask what they charge/provide, you'll be in a better position now to know what to ask. I've used local as opposed to national ones, I've heard bad things about a couple of the bigger letting agents.
Remax are our agents, and it was 12% but we get a discount for 2 with them
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

poppypiesdad wrote:
Deeps wrote:

J
Remax are our agents, and it was 12% but we get a discount for 2 with them
Try some of your local ones mate, I'd used one for years before ending up letting out my old Edinburgh flat through an agent (I'd done it myself to friends previously) and having the experience from using the first one made a big difference. I used the first one on recommends from a mate and maybe got lucky that she was great but second time I knew exactly what I was looking for, I even said that I'd take less of a rent for a better tenant but they could take their cut off the top end of what they could get. You'll know your own situation best though, I would rather get 10 or 20 quid less a month than have the place empty for a period of time because the agent is holding out for the 'going rate'. As you said earlier, if you're paying someone to 'manage' your properties then you expect that to happen, it sounds like they're happy to take the money from you and pass on any work. One of my questions was about work on properties and if they had people, at the time I was working away so it wasn't practical but you can usually come to an arrangement and they'll get in touch to let you know then its a case of either "how much ? OK, crack on yourselves" or "I'll sort it myself". If you know other landlords then ask around and see if they've got any recommendations.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

We've been with them for for 6 years and weve made the decision to sell , so its now just a waiting game till sold.

j
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

poppypiesdad wrote:We've been with them for for 6 years and weve made the decision to sell , so its now just a waiting game till sold.

j
Fair enough mate, hope it goes well for you.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Found the link about the two bed flats, it was in The Guardian (of course :oops: )

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... selling-up
Sparkyy

Post by Sparkyy »

I don't use a letting agent these days similar to yourself I got sick of paying them a whack and having to do it myself anyway now be cut out the middle man life has been a lot easier up to now. With regards cashing out of your investment now no chance in my eyes I won't be cashing out of mine and I'll be after another later in the year being self employed they're effectively my pension along with down sizing where we live now when the kids have gone which should give us a half decent lifestyle in retirement I certainly wouldn't trust a bank or pension fund with my money bricks and mortar will do for me.