How I am prepping.

How are you preparing
Decaff

Re: How I am prepping.

Post by Decaff »

My thoughts are simple. We all need to have a bit of hope in our lives and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a dream for your future, no matter how young or old, whether or not it will be realised its good to have something to aim for in life or we end up miserable.

Keep on planning your dreams and never give up hope of attaining them either! We shouldn't knock each other back because we see things differently and have different ideas. How many back in history mocked those great inventors of medicine, science and millions of other dreams that were realised??!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BadgerSE wrote:To be honest people it doesn't matter how you prep or even why you prep. In my opinion prepping is prepping no matter what; whatever you are doing to prepare for a life changing or altering event. Or even if you are prepping for the short term it doesn't matter as the main thing is you are prepping in some for or other.

For me I consider it a hobby, a learning tool and hopefully a survival source if the world ever came to that! (which I hope it doesn't in all honesty). Find a reason why you prep and prep for that reason. It is always good to hear how other people prep.. You never know, you might learn something.
For me the bold bit is what its all about. Whatever the forum/debate there will be different levels and views. I get what you're saying about the 'hobby' side of it, I think I know what you mean although its kind of not a hobby ( :? ), I see it in the same way, I spend money on prepping that I used to spend on DVD's and other stuff so in that regard its a hobby but with a purpose.
SkyyFyre

Post by SkyyFyre »

Exactly, Badger :) But there's always some who think prepping is ensuring that they lose none of the 'consumer oriented' benefits instead of getting out there and getting away from petrol, oil, Grid electricity, roads, telephone, Television and all the rest that seems so important to a lot of people these days!

It's not a fantasy, it's just simpler, and more robust then living in a centrally-heated house with all the trimmings and all your neighbours close by.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

SkyyFyre wrote:Exactly, Badger :) But there's always some who think prepping is ensuring that they lose none of the 'consumer oriented' benefits instead of getting out there and getting away from petrol, oil, Grid electricity, roads, telephone, Television and all the rest that seems so important to a lot of people these days!

It's not a fantasy, it's just simpler, and more robust then living in a centrally-heated house with all the trimmings and all your neighbours close by.
Well, actually I LIKE and very much enjoy watching TV. I LIKE talking to my friends and family on the telephone. I LIKE my 'consumer-oriented' benefits, and I certainly don't want to be off grid unless there was no other option. So while I would encourage anyone to follow their dreams, please don't bash those of us who don't share them.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BadgerSE wrote:To be honest people it doesn't matter how you prep or even why you prep. In my opinion prepping is prepping no matter what; whatever you are doing to prepare for a life changing or altering event. Or even if you are prepping for the short term it doesn't matter as the main thing is you are prepping in some for or other.

For me I consider it a hobby, a learning tool and hopefully a survival source if the world ever came to that! (which I hope it doesn't in all honesty). Find a reason why you prep and prep for that reason. It is always good to hear how other people prep.. You never know, you might learn something.
SkyyFyre wrote:Exactly, Badger :) But there's always some who think prepping is ensuring that they lose none of the 'consumer oriented' benefits instead of getting out there and getting away from petrol, oil, Grid electricity, roads, telephone, Television and all the rest that seems so important to a lot of people these days!

:lol: I guess this is the quote from Badger that you're agreeing with.....and then go on to pour scorn on those that don't want to prep to the same level as yourself. Sorry mate, you need to get over yourself, when you've actually gone off and made your dream real you can be as condescending as you like to those who want to prep differently to yourself (if that's what you need to make you feel better) but from what you've said its all still at the um, 'planning' :roll: stage. Me, I like lecky, roads, telephones and TV, I'll be doing my damndest to keep things as 'normal' as I can in any incident, knock yourself out though chap.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Deeps wrote:

:lol: I guess this is the quote from Badger that you're agreeing with.....and then go on to pour scorn on those that don't want to prep to the same level as yourself. Sorry mate, you need to get over yourself, when you've actually gone off and made your dream real you can be as condescending as you like to those who want to prep differently to yourself (if that's what you need to make you feel better) but from what you've said its all still at the um, 'planning' :roll: stage. Me, I like lecky, roads, telephones and TV, I'll be doing my damndest to keep things as 'normal' as I can in any incident, knock yourself out though chap.
Bang on Deeps. I just deleted a post I was about to make as yet again, you have put my thoughts on paper most eloquently.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
BadgerSE

Post by BadgerSE »

I wasn't trying to get people to take sides of "living off grid" or "home creature comforts". I don't want people to take sides as that defeats the object of what we are all on this forum for!! We all have a mutual goal and should have an appreciation for other peoples ideas of prepping/ surviving.

And SkyyFyre I would love to live somewhere remote and be a true outdoor person 'live off the land' so to speak, but for me realistically I have a house, family, car and I have to work a whole load of rubbishy long antisocial hours in a densly populated urban environment to support that lifestyle. I love a good bit of TV and music and enjoy my creature comforts in life like most people on here I would imagine such as the cinema, going out with the missus' etc as this is what I call 'peacetime'. But that doesn't stop me prepping in the background. ;)
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BadgerSE wrote:I wasn't trying to get people to take sides of "living off grid" or "home creature comforts". I don't want people to take sides as that defeats the object of what we are all on this forum for!! We all have a mutual goal and should have an appreciation for other peoples ideas of prepping/ surviving.

And SkyyFyre I would love to live somewhere remote and be a true outdoor person 'live off the land' so to speak, but for me realistically I have a house, family, car and I have to work a whole load of rubbishy long antisocial hours in a densly populated urban environment to support that lifestyle. I love a good bit of TV and music and enjoy my creature comforts in life like most people on here I would imagine such as the cinema, going out with the missus' etc as this is what I call 'peacetime'. But that doesn't stop me prepping in the background. ;)
Spot on Badger, I would imagine that a fair few of us are in the same position, where we are and where we'd like to be probably aren't the same thing so we do what we can. Its not a competition, we just....do our thang.
Brambles wrote:
Deeps wrote:

Bang on Deeps. I just deleted a post I was about to make as yet again, you have put my thoughts on paper most eloquently.
Cheers Bramble.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I'm interested in all views on prepping, both why and how. Personally I prep for the small things like a prolonged power outage, water contamination or other localised incidents but I like to research and make whatever preps I can for the even remotely possible major threats.

Do I think of my prepping as a kind of hobby? I think I do in the same way as DIY is a hobby. It's about being prepared and self-sufficient where there is a benefit to me in doing so. Prepping has become part of how I live my life but I don't plan on giving up the creature comforts until the need arises and despite my concerns on multiple fronts, I don't see that time as being imminent.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I prep so that I can maintain my current, pleasant lifestyle and that of my family for as long as possible.