How I am prepping.

How are you preparing
SkyyFyre

Re: How I am prepping.

Post by SkyyFyre »

Let's put it this way.. if I COULD get something like a Bothy, or a Croft, clear owned or at reasonable rent, I would! BUT as I said, funds are limited, and land costs rising out of all proportion. Most of them seem to be 'Holiday Cottages' now :( This seems to be a way around it to me.

I'd love to find a disused farm or cottage I could, with my skills, rebuild and end up living the life I want. I would, but everything is owned, often by people who don't know what's there! Landowners often have huge areas of land, in excess of 100,000 acres, yet they don't let any of it out to others. It's for Grouse shooting (how to kill thousands of birds in a day, and make money at it), farms, similar (how to be paid not to use the land), or, unfortunately, the churches, who's land is tax-free to them, and has been deeded over the years by people who die. And, let's not mention the lands held by the Royalty (a whole different subject). Other problems are: Local council requirements (who can do what, where), and Government regulations on the same. See for example the guy who built his own Manor House on his own land concealed behind hay bales, only to be told 'Demolish it, it's not a suitable building in this area and there was no planning permission!).'

All I ask is the opportunity to live in a small plot (1/2 acre?) with a small cottage, or place to build, water, and a little foraging.

As to power outages, first, consider what you need, and then think of Solar panels, or wind generation. Balance the cost outlay against savings on what you WOULD pay to the electricity companies. Use wood-burning stoves/ranges/heating. Make what you can before just going and buying it. Likewise on water.. if you have a well, or spring, consider wind-power for a small pump to keep you topped up, and a small water tower. You don't need a massive tower to give enough head of water pressure.

Just a few thoughts, and sorry for the rant, but that is the one thing that stops people going out and doing it.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Okay, I'm getting the picture.

Stick around on the forum because the regular contributors are a mine of information. I think you'll find that most of them have extensive experience in what you're talking about and to use your words, are already going out and doing it. We have regular contributors in the Scottish islands and Highlands who have to do it in order to survive or at the very least, keep the roof on in 100mph winds. You'll also find regulars who have extensive practical knowledge with solar and wind and rain water harvesting and a few more that can keep their homes powered, warm and running off-grid.

All in all, quite a few on here are out and doing it.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
SkyyFyre

Post by SkyyFyre »

Thanks for the hint on the Mini Sawyer. While a little expensive at around £30, this is offweighed by it's small size/weight, and the quantity it will process. I'll definitely be getting one of these. While it is a very fine particle remover, I still think the TDS meter is a must, in these days of insecticides, fertilisers and other pollutions. If you start with low TDS, then potable water is going to be easy.

I'll be posting up some links to where I get my kit from. This is not to say they are the only ones to use, but a good starting point. Shop around, you may find a discount that's better.

Skyy.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

SkyyFyre wrote:Thanks for the hint on the Mini Sawyer. While a little expensive at around £30, this is offweighed by it's small size/weight, and the quantity it will process. I'll definitely be getting one of these.

Skyy.
Nice. The Mini Sawyer is used by quite a few on here and is highly recommended. You'll find the screw thread for the bladder is the same as the cap thread on most plastic water and fizzy drink bottles, which is a bonus.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
SkyyFyre

Post by SkyyFyre »

I am setting up a combination of guides links, Techniques file. It comprises quite a large amount of text, some with graphics, some with external links to cover all sorts of guides and things I have found over the years. It will be my own 'guide reference' so I have it with me.

I can do this as a Word document, or webpage-style collection. How best to put it all together so I can send it up for UK-Preppers?

I'd rather not do this in bits and pieces, more as an overall sort of manual. Folks can use what they need and ignore the rest.

Let me know, anyway, and I'll try my best.

Skyy.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

SkyyFyre wrote:Let's put it this way.. if I COULD get something like a Bothy, or a Croft, clear owned or at reasonable rent, I would! BUT as I said, funds are limited, and land costs rising out of all proportion. Most of them seem to be 'Holiday Cottages' now :( This seems to be a way around it to me.

I'd love to find a disused farm or cottage I could, with my skills, rebuild and end up living the life I want. I would, but everything is owned, often by people who don't know what's there! Landowners often have huge areas of land, in excess of 100,000 acres, yet they don't let any of it out to others. It's for Grouse shooting (how to kill thousands of birds in a day, and make money at it), farms, similar (how to be paid not to use the land), or, unfortunately, the churches, who's land is tax-free to them, and has been deeded over the years by people who die. And, let's not mention the lands held by the Royalty (a whole different subject). Other problems are: Local council requiremeints (who can do what, where), and Government regulations on the same. See for example the guy who built his own Manor House on his own land concealed behind hay bales, only to be told 'Demolish it, it's not a suitable building in this area and there was no planning permission!).'

All I ask is the opportunity to live in a small plot (1/2 acre?) with a small cottage, or place to build, water, and a little foraging.

As to power outages, first, consider what you need, and then think of Solar panels, or wind generation. Balance the cost outlay against savings on what you WOULD pay to the electricity companies. Use wood-burning stoves/ranges/heating. Make what you can before just going and buying it. Likewise on water.. if you have a well, or spring, consider wind-power for a small pump to keep you topped up, and a small water tower. You don't need a massive tower to give enough head of water pressure.

Just a few thoughts, and sorry for the rant, but that is the one thing that stops people going out and doing it.
The main problem is that is exactly what a very large proportion of the population want to do a little bit of land blah blah blah then theybuild together, then they need roads , water, power, sewerage, and boom new town has sprung up .

Last year alone we has around 10 people at the door asking if we were selling any land only an acre, numerous hand written notes in the post box the same . The simple answer is no . We bought 10 acres 22 years ago and over time built stables , sand school and finally a house . So we could say we are lucky but everthing was built by us , for us . We have no neighbours, but part of a small spread hamlet .

Power , phone line all cost us to get put in the only thing that was here was water. So yes it would be great to do that but on this small island of the UK. Possible but will cost you

j
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
SkyyFyre

Post by SkyyFyre »

But MY whole point is that I want to get away from urbanisation.. do it alone! You seem to have got what you want. Please don't knock others for their (relatively small) hopes?
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

I keep looking at the very north of Scotland Caithness/Sutherland although remote is still on the mainland.Property cheaper and usually goodsized gardens .Only thing would be the wind breaks needed for growing but that is not insurmountable.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

SkyyFyre wrote:But MY whole point is that I want to get away from urbanisation.. do it alone! You seem to have got what you want. Please don't knock others for their (relatively small) hopes?
Hopes or delusions?

If one stops a 10 year old from running off to the forest to live the life of Robin Hood it is considered a dose of reality.

If the person is between 18 and 65 it is crushing their hopes?
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well anybody who wants to try Caithness is going to have to be very, very tough. Mentally and physically. That's all I'm saying lol.