£100 a month

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: £100 a month

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Diy / car tools and know how you use them
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

What Vespa said. I can't tell you how good it is to be debt free. That £100 month disposable income will rapidly grow once you have no debt, then you can do whatever you want and not have to worry about if you can afford it. Oh and PM's are always a good long term bet and if you buy coins of the realm that can be used as currency, no CGT either ;)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

Vespa wrote:1.Pay down any debt you may have.:
..and now maybe throwing the cat amongst the pigeons :) Whilst I advocate that debt is never a great long term thing if you are prepping for a SHTF situation are you really going to be worrying about the bank calling as you are still in your overdraft or that you still have 10 years of your mortgage to pay? :) when the SHTF has occurred?

As long as you are in control of your debts then maybe you can invest your £100 differently? ISA I think is a dead duck...% of interest can be quite bad..drug dealing is lucrative but the hours are bad..haha :twisted: , invest in the lottery, loan sharking (same as dealing the weed), NS&I.

One could argue to split the £100 50/50. Half on debts, holiday fund, general savings, kids savings, DIY fund the other half on prepping/saving for prepping projects and of course the other points above.

I guess as long as you don't negatively impact your current living standards/situation then it's up to you but then again do you feel comfortable with the current preps? (don't think that "oooh I've £100 extra now, I'll upgrade to the 6 man tent".....when the 4 man could still fit the bill!)

Cheers
Gordon's Alive!?
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Spread the risk.

I am now debt free (including my mortgage).

Pension
Endowment policy - I kept it going after paying off my motgage.
Stocks/Shares
Premium Bonds
Precious Metals
ISA Savings
Bank Savings
Cash on hand

Each has varying levels of risk, each comfortable enough for me.

When money is available I add to Premium bonds, PMs and Cash on hand.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

FlashPan wrote:
Vespa wrote:1.Pay down any debt you may have.:
..and now maybe throwing the cat amongst the pigeons :) Whilst I advocate that debt is never a great long term thing if you are prepping for a SHTF situation are you really going to be worrying about the bank calling as you are still in your overdraft or that you still have 10 years of your mortgage to pay? :) when the SHTF has occurred?

As long as you are in control of your debts then maybe you can invest your £100 differently? ISA I think is a dead duck...% of interest can be quite bad..drug dealing is lucrative but the hours are bad..haha :twisted: , invest in the lottery, loan sharking (same as dealing the weed), NS&I.

One could argue to split the £100 50/50. Half on debts, holiday fund, general savings, kids savings, DIY fund the other half on prepping/saving for prepping projects and of course the other points above.

I guess as long as you don't negatively impact your current living standards/situation then it's up to you but then again do you feel comfortable with the current preps? (don't think that "oooh I've £100 extra now, I'll upgrade to the 6 man tent".....when the 4 man could still fit the bill!)

Cheers
The thing is with debt, it is always there. OK if there is a meteor strike/extinction event, why worry? What if there is economic meltdown? You may lose your job as a result and the bank will still want its money back. Personally I know which is more like!y.we all have different attitudes I guess, but I am glad we have no debts nor mortgage now.For one thing I don't have to work so hard now.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

£100 per month purely for prepping?

STOP

First purchases should be a pad of paper and some pens

You've got twelve hundred quid a year to play with. That means you can make short, medium and long term preps (unless you feel the zombie apocalypse is imminent :mrgreen: )

On each sheet of paper I would write a topic heading eg income shock, flooding risk, loss of water, car etc These should be topics that concern you and yours

On each sheet write down how you think that is going to affect you, ie under income shock - mortgage to pay (if applicable), utilities, insurances, council rip off fee, bus fare (if used), monthly petrol costs, after school classes (guitar lessons, martial arts class), FOOD! and so on and so forth
x
Then write what you would like to achieve, so under loss of electric you could put windmill farm :o , off grid cooking facilities, carpet sweeper (to replace hoover), old fashioned corded phone for communications. Think blue sky

Then decide what you need to achieve short term for your family, where you want to be in 3 months, 6 months or even five years time

With a substantial (or even a smaller budget) anything is possible. You just need to know in a clear and measured fashion what it is you would like to achieve and construct a plan on how to achieve it. Writing it all down and setting yourself clear and measurable goals which are ACHIEVABLE will make your overall destination much easier to reach and you will feel a satisfaction that your are working towards your own 'prepstead' because you've reached your 'milestones' and moved onto the next item on your agenda

I do not believe stashing/prepping is confined to certain areas of your life. We have always taken a 'stashing without borders' approach to our lives and it's worked very well for us over the years. What you prep for is entirely your concern, there are no right or wrong solutions as each family has its own needs and vagaries.

Anyway, good luck!

Umm, I had to edit cos the cat joined in!
Knowledge is power
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

long lasting cheap tinned foods + nutritional supplementation. You don't know what its like to be without food until you have been tested in that way.

Trust me on this..... its no fun.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks

Post by 90. »

well done you...
I had the same thoughts I dont have any debts mortage aside which is low enough to be able to pay off or be able to pay with a min wage job, I started stashing £100pm to pay for "car stuff oil tax mots etc" a year later and all bills for the toys paid and money left over I bought a few sliver coins to avoid putting money in the bank and avoid having easily spendable cash knocking about, it works for me.
I tend to keep enough cash for living for a few months with no income and then buy more coins with the remainder.
going to start buying some bonds soon also.

regards