What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
Decaff

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by Decaff »

Ive been using the home canned goods, the dehydrated vegetables and fruits so I need to start to replenish my stores.

Aldi have salad tomatoes for 29p per pack so I'm going to get a lot of those so I can use my new Kenwood Fruit Press and can up some tomatoes with onions and herbs. Celery is also 29p so will get a few of those and dehydrate some and can some.

Lidl have bell peppers for 29p each, onions 29p per kilo and cherry plum tomatoes 29p per 250g so will be buying up a lot of those for dehydrating and canning purposes.

Need to get a good deal on mushrooms as I have only 6 jars left and these are so nice I use them a lot!
Must get split peas so I can make split pea and ham soup to can up, got a huge lump of ham in the fridge and I don't want it going to waste.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Here's the vegan MRE for my one-day BOB.

We've eaten and liked everything in there - most of them regularly. Cost to assemble £17. Kcal 2780. I could get the calories and cost down a bit - but it all easily fits into an MRE size box and extra snacks/treats are very welcome when bugged out/on the move :)

Assuming it gets my family's approval, I'll make 3 more up this weekend - one for everyone - probably each with a different main meal.

Water and a ready-made-up flask will go in the BOB separately.

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well water preps are in use major burst main about a mile from home tap water a lovely brown colour.... (Which is apparently safe to drink but advise to boil.......)

Bottled water for drinking Sawyer mini dripping away hung in the kitchen gravity filtering more water might as well put it to use :D

It is funny watching Facebook ignight with stressing people as they turn the tap on for a brew after work been greeted with brown water
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Hobo, can you say where you got your vegan MRE supplies from??? Mrs Dusty is a vegan, will start some more vegan food preps, any idea if you can get long life vegan goodies to eat??? Cheers. :D
Up in the wet South Lakeland
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

DustyDog wrote:Hobo, can you say where you got your vegan MRE supplies from??? Mrs Dusty is a vegan, will start some more vegan food preps, any idea if you can get long life vegan goodies to eat??? Cheers. :D
Better still, could you post up a thread about this (assuming you have time) ?
I know what you can't eat, but I don't know what you can
Vegan is a pretty much a universal diet
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Universal diet??? It ain't universal especially to a omnivore, who spent half an hour in Tesco googling bottles of wine to make sure they were vegan and looked totally dodgy doing it. And i might add makes making meals harder as we have to do two lots of everything to make sure we don't put butter or goose fat or whatever in our roast tatties, carrots and...... Anti vegan rant over, and i do still love Mrs DustyDog even though she turned to the dark side of vegan.
:lol:
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

DustyDog wrote:Hobo, can you say where you got your vegan MRE supplies from??? Mrs Dusty is a vegan, will start some more vegan food preps, any idea if you can get long life vegan goodies to eat??? Cheers. :D

I second this request! Could you also list your goodies as u can't see what some of them are. Thanks Hobo
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Aldi - Foodie Market snacks, tub of fruit in juice, oat crackers, fruit bar
Holland & Barrett - rice coconut drink, pumpernickel bread, tofu paste
Amazon - discount multiples of TREK and Nakd bars (about 50% cheaper)
Tesco - mini bread sticks (I think), Humzingers
http://www.bewellexpeditionfoods.com - veggie chilli (does 3 other vegan freeze dried meals and 1 wet meal. Wayfarer Does a wet curry and rice but I haven't tried it. It's only 249 kcals whereas the chilli is around 700)
Premier Inn (ahem) - coffee sachets

The chilli is the only long life one - 2 years. I selected the other foods because we eat them anyway, so it's no real hassle to replace them every 4 - 6 months.
hobo

Post by hobo »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Better still, could you post up a thread about this (assuming you have time) ?
I know what you can't eat, but I don't know what you can
Vegan is a pretty much a universal diet
The Animal Free Shopper 9th edition is a bit out of date but is ace (2011) or just go to the vegan society website.
http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/shopp ... lists.html has links to major supermarkets' vegan lists.
www.barnivore.com for vegan beers and wines :)
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

DustyDog wrote:Anti vegan rant over, and i do still love Mrs DustyDog even though she turned to the dark side of vegan.
:lol:
We made a huge error at Xmas, not sure even how to broach the subject with the poor victim. My missus made mince pies, and we had some people over for dinner who all had very different dietary requirements. We had one veggie, one who wouldn't eat turkey, one vegan, and three others that all had certain vegetables they didn't like, so I was feeling for her.
Anyway, she breezed through it, everything was lovely, everyone complimented her, but when we went out to the kitchen she realised she'd forgotten to put the mince pies out with the coffee.
So our vegan friend pointed to them and asked if they had any suet in them. The missus said no, she hadn't put any in when she made them, and said strict vegan promptly ate 5 of them.

After they left, she had a sudden epiphany and checked the mince mix she'd used, and realised it had suet in it (neither of us knowing that was even a thing).
How the hell do we tackle that? Or do we just keep quiet?

Sorry, it's more of an Agony Aunt question than prepping but we only know the one vegan and we seem to have accidentally non-vegan'd him :oops:
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864