What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by Arzosah »

Stasher wrote:I've been playing some catch up following a six week nightmare. We had a family crisis involving emergency life saving operations and several days in ICU, but everything is now evening out.
Glad to hear about the balancing out, Stasher.
So the preps have taken a bit of a bashing what with no time to to go shopping or anything in between hospital visits, livestock and work. The main prep related item of note to come out of this is that when people are in an emotional and distressed state what is craved is comfort food, and large amounts of it!
Totally agree - as a family, we're dealing with inoperable terminal cancer, and it's noticeable that the comfort foods - whether they're a bit of chocolate, a lot of carb, or a dram of scotch or rum, are really, really important. When you haven't slept and you're on call, you need that to get you through. Am horrified at how much more I eat than the rest of my family, though :oops: and I'm not overweight, either :shock:

Going through your highlights, these are the ones I'd put in myself:
1. variety was shopped for, not quantity - that left us with no eggs one day, for the invalid or for us :shock: Shopping not done by a prepper. And if I'd put my spoke in, there'd have been nowhere to store it anyway - the whole house (a normal 3 bed semi) is overwhelmed with everyday items and clothes for those of us taking part in the caring, plus bulky medical equipment.
2. making a shopping list that everyone has access to was crucial - waterproof plastic bags, a particular cream, a hearing aid battery, a particular food, whatever.
3. biscuits, god yes, totally agree that biscuits are a lifesaver. For the carers and to enable the invalid to swallow tablets, before the liquid medications were prescribed.
4. quickest food - I'd say rice, actually, with either some cashew nuts (cooked) or cheese (grated, on the side) or tins of meat chopped up and fried quickly. With frozen veg.
5. little bits of tastiness for the invalid - stuff that looks really consumerist and that I never normally look at - shop-made trifles or jelly or yogurt or creme caramel. Jelly is easy enough to make at home, yes, but home nursing, seeing to medical and family visits as well, is utterly exhausting. Even with two of us full time, there wasn't the time to make stuff like that.
6. writing down the recommendations from the medical people about the few things that weren't available on prescription.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Three-fold prep:

Woodpile delivered - winter sorted

Woodpile sorted and stacked - 2hrs exercise done.

No Heart pains - tablets working. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got a jump starter pack for the car seems a cracking bit of kit for the £35 less a £5 discount I had :D

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... 9459&ar=10

Been after one for ages

Going by a few YouTube reviews on very similar looking products they do the trick
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
JDandCoke

Post by JDandCoke »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Got a jump starter pack for the car seems a cracking bit of kit for the £35 less a £5 discount I had :D

Been after one for ages

Going by a few YouTube reviews on very similar looking products they do the trick
Does it actually work? I left my car once at airport for a week with inside light on. After coming back had to wait 2h for aa☺ do you think it can be kept permanently in car boot?
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

pseudonym wrote:Three-fold prep:

Woodpile delivered - winter sorted

Woodpile sorted and stacked - 2hrs exercise done.
Gonna be ordering log pile soon, normally buy 12-14 ton of corded wood, but due to hernia and other health issues i cant do that just yet, still got several tons of logs, but running 2/3 woodburners, it doesn't last long, hoping Mrs DD and others will contribute to me buying a decent solar charger for my leisure battery for Christmas.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Have made a start on making an inventory of my food preps. Did a fair whack this morning but now postponed because of dog walking and watching football. To be continued......

Some surprises, 50 odd tins of tuna, I would have guessed about 30 and I'm next time I'm at Costco I'll be buying another mahoosive bag of tea bags, we've been going through them quicker than I thought. I need more veggie stuff for Her Maj although as she's not exactly committed to the cause she's saying she'll risk it. :lol: I've reached the point that its not exactly discreet in the garage, I had the boiler serviced through the week and had to carry out boxes of stuff so a more permanent solution needs to be found.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

JDandCoke wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:Got a jump starter pack for the car seems a cracking bit of kit for the £35 less a £5 discount I had :D

Been after one for ages

Does it actually work? I left my car once at airport for a week with inside light on. After coming back had to wait 2h for aa☺ do you think it can be kept permanently in car boot?
Well I'm waiting to find a willing victim to test it on ;)

Had someone the other day with a flat battery but they failed the attitude and civility test so it stayed safely in the boot seen several you tube videos of very similar all be it cosmeticly different starting large cars...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lrqifh77pE
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
banshie13

Post by banshie13 »

After fighting anxiety for nearly 2 years I am finally feeling more like my old self and looking forward to getting back to all the things I at times just couldn't face doing at times. It was during this time I realised just how important the preps were for at times I just couldn't go out the door.

banshie
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

deleated posted wrong heading
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

purchased new head torch from the 99p shop. Actually quite good. Has a flashing function to be used when cycling as another from of visibility thing. I guess full = "high beam" for the unlit country roads
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks