What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
QUAID

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by QUAID »

I concur.... Cant remember where i read it, but i also have read stories of cannibalism during the winter in Stalingrad.... little children going missing and so on.
The levels some will go to are incomprehensible, if it were me i would be tempted to go to the coast... anyhow..

I am currently in the process of upgrading my gear..... piece by piece.
This week i have upgraded to Merino Wool t-shirts and Swanndri tops with leather boots...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

ClericalError wrote:Very much a beginner prepper report:

I'm sitting at my computer with a cup of tea beside me - nothing unusual in the Error household, except I've made it by testing my new kelly kettle. I tried using only urban fuel to prove it could be done on a high-rise balcony etc. so I started with shredded paper and then went on to ripped up brown paper from unwanted packaging, which I twisted and threw down the chimney. I don't know if this fuel explains why it was very smoky - billowing white smoke at first? Next time I'll try scavenged twigs and such from the tiny garden and the parks nearby.
Cleric, first of all welcome home mate :)
The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

Read, ask and discuss..... I'm often amazed at the knowledge base on here

White smoke is high in water vapour which is why it feels cool, perhaps your paper wasn't the driest (fairly understandable give the damp weather we've had recently).
I believe that the idea size fuel for a KK is pencil up to little-finger thickness, pinecones are also supposed to be good.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
ClericalError wrote:Very much a beginner prepper report:

I'm sitting at my computer with a cup of tea beside me - nothing unusual in the Error household, except I've made it by testing my new kelly kettle. I tried using only urban fuel to prove it could be done on a high-rise balcony etc. so I started with shredded paper and then went on to ripped up brown paper from unwanted packaging, which I twisted and threw down the chimney. I don't know if this fuel explains why it was very smoky - billowing white smoke at first? Next time I'll try scavenged twigs and such from the tiny garden and the parks nearby.
Cleric, first of all welcome home mate :)
The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

Read, ask and discuss..... I'm often amazed at the knowledge base on here

White smoke is high in water vapour which is why it feels cool, perhaps your paper wasn't the driest (fairly understandable give the damp weather we've had recently).
I believe that the idea size fuel for a KK is pencil up to little-finger thickness, pinecones are also supposed to be good.

Also be aware of pine and other soft woods the resin condenses on the chimney runs down and can stick the fire pan to the kettle a deft kick is handy to free it
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
terrytaylor84

Post by terrytaylor84 »

I'm doing some shopping around at the moment. I got £100 from my parents as a new year present. I can't decide what to spend it on. Unusual for me, it normally burns a hole in my pocket. I'm happy at the moment cos I'm actually level at the minute for a change too. The meds I'm on for the bipolar are actually working properly for the 1st time since I got diagnosed in 2012.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Doing two things this week, one is there are is a large industrial site not fair from me that produces several medications and has been opening up new buildings, so with that in mind I've been sorting out a realistic go system for mass displacement where hotels are not possible due to numbers. Chemical fires are not fun to be around, so as my local army surplus sells deployment bags for £10 I bought three.

Basically its everything needed, including food for three weeks in those black bags (there go in the car). If nothing else I'll use it camping in the summer.

Secondly, I've been testing out comms and stock keeping.

hobo

Post by hobo »

Finished my regular recharging jobs for a while and am now devising my own MREs for our bug out bags. Me and the lads are vegan but we all have very different tastes. Mrs Hobo is OK with any ration pack that's going! Should have something to show by weekend. Watch this space!
raz

Post by raz »

Most of my prepps have revolved around getting better storage sorted out.. i was getting sick of the cheaper plastic boxes i was using either warping or the handles snapping when i moved them so i invested in 5 of these new containers.. their a gd size nearly 150 ltr capacity and the wheels mean moving them around is a hell of a lot easier

http://www.nicks-kit.co.uk/gorilla-on-w ... 6856-p.asp
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

metatron wrote:Doing two things this week, one is there are is a large industrial site not fair from me that produces several medications and has been opening up new buildings, so with that in mind I've been sorting out a realistic go system for mass displacement where hotels are not possible due to numbers. Chemical fires are not fun to be around, so as my local army surplus sells deployment bags for £10 I bought three.

Basically its everything needed, including food for three weeks in those black bags (there go in the car). If nothing else I'll use it camping in the summer.

You included RPE with your kit? We live near a few COMAH sites and every family member has a respirator with abek2 p3 filters. And a NBC suit each £5 each from army surplus still vacuum packed. To offer some protection over whatever is burning / falling out of the sky..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I ordered a Gerber Shard mini pry bar to go on my key ring... maybe a bad idea, my keys are getting so heavy they are starting to develop it's own gravitational field :)
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

sniper 55 wrote:I ordered a Gerber Shard mini pry bar to go on my key ring... maybe a bad idea, my keys are getting so heavy they are starting to develop it's own gravitational field :)
A Gerber Shard is on my 'to buy' list as well. Might go in my EDC pouch instead of the keyring though. I used to have the most minimalist keyring going (car+house+tiny USB), now it already has a pill/cash keyring and a gerber dime attached.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth