What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
DustyDog

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by DustyDog »

Keep mum about it, no point in saying something if they never know. I'm a chef now, when I first started ooh about twenty years ago, I knew nothing about food, cooking and even less about vegetarians etc and one morning I was on breakfast shift and someone asked for vegetarian mushrooms so I chucked them in the bratt pan and fried them and served them, and was told they were the best mushrooms they had ever had, only after I had served them did I realise that I had cooked them in the same bratt pan I had previously cooked three joints of beef, with all those lovely beef juices, needless to say I kept my mouth shut. I thoroughly recommend u do the same. :D

Hobo thanks for the heads up on the vegan MRE'S Wouldn't want the Mrs going hungry now. :o
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Holomon wrote:
DustyDog wrote:Anti vegan rant over, and i do still love Mrs DustyDog even though she turned to the dark side of vegan.
:lol:
We made a huge error at Xmas, not sure even how to broach the subject with the poor victim. My missus made mince pies, and we had some people over for dinner who all had very different dietary requirements. We had one veggie, one who wouldn't eat turkey, one vegan, and three others that all had certain vegetables they didn't like, so I was feeling for her.
Anyway, she breezed through it, everything was lovely, everyone complimented her, but when we went out to the kitchen she realised she'd forgotten to put the mince pies out with the coffee.
So our vegan friend pointed to them and asked if they had any suet in them. The missus said no, she hadn't put any in when she made them, and said strict vegan promptly ate 5 of them.

After they left, she had a sudden epiphany and checked the mince mix she'd used, and realised it had suet in it (neither of us knowing that was even a thing).
How the hell do we tackle that? Or do we just keep quiet?

Sorry, it's more of an Agony Aunt question than prepping but we only know the one vegan and we seem to have accidentally non-vegan'd him :oops:
Your auntie Deeps suggests not mentioning it, at the moment you guys feel bad, why share the guilt, he's none the wiser and I'm guessing there's no medical reason so all you'll be doing is sharing the guilt. Her Maj is a veggie and while I've never been cavalier about it I have used the wrong tongs etc in the past, certainly not intentonally. No good will come of me baring my soul, she still casts up the time my mother (who's normally very accommodating) forgot that she'd used goose fat on the tatties until after the meal. Her Maj still pulls faces at the memory, I suspect partly because she didn't know but partly because they were pretty bloody good roast tatties. Just my opinion of course, others might see it differently.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Best not to say anything!
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I'm with the others, say nothing, it was a simple mistake, it wont cause any medical issues so I wouldn't let it worry you.
HBP

Post by HBP »

I have had some chnages to my work and now have totravel into cities on a more regular basis rather than being at home. Because of this I am focusing on my get Home Bag at the moment. It varies if I drive or take a train so I am looking at something I can easily carry and isnt too big.

I have bought 16w solar charger that I found for sale on ebay for less than £10 http://www.suaoki.com/product-g_5.html
I have been going through my rechargable batteries and testing them. Just ordered a dozen more eneloop batteries for the head torches
First aid kit has been replenished and out of date stuff moved to the first aid training bag
Added a couple of dust masks and a pair of work gloves

Also picked up a second 8A smart charger in the sales for the car and a couple of deep cylcle batteries I have.

Treated my self to a spare Hand held dual band radio that may end up in the get home bag.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

HBP wrote:I have had some chnages to my work and now have totravel into cities on a more regular basis rather than being at home. Because of this I am focusing on my get Home Bag at the moment. It varies if I drive or take a train so I am looking at something I can easily carry and isnt too big.

I have bought 16w solar charger that I found for sale on ebay for less than £10 http://www.suaoki.com/product-g_5.html
I have been going through my rechargable batteries and testing them. Just ordered a dozen more eneloop batteries for the head torches
First aid kit has been replenished and out of date stuff moved to the first aid training bag
Added a couple of dust masks and a pair of work gloves

Also picked up a second 8A smart charger in the sales for the car and a couple of deep cylcle batteries I have.

Treated my self to a spare Hand held dual band radio that may end up in the get home bag.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B012TXC ... +molle+red

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0090JX ... kombat+28l

They seem very robust for the money ... I've added a couple of pouches to the side of mine to hold drinks will grab some pics tonight if you want .

Can't go wrong stuffing a compact Down jacket and a waterproof shell jacket in at the moment Montague mills off J36 of the m62 is knocking them (tog 24 down jackets out at £65 ish at the moment)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
HBP

Post by HBP »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B012TXC ... +molle+red

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0090JX ... kombat+28l

They seem very robust for the money ... I've added a couple of pouches to the side of mine to hold drinks will grab some pics tonight if you want .

Can't go wrong stuffing a compact Down jacket and a waterproof shell jacket in at the moment Montague mills off J36 of the m62 is knocking them (tog 24 down jackets out at £65 ish at the moment)
Fortunately I have more outdoor gear than I know what to do with so plenty of options for jackets etc. to match the seasons.

Currently using a Daysack from Kathmandu in NZ. Works well as a laptop bag and reasonably nondescript so doesnt look like I am off on a camping trip :D

Curently trying to decide whether to replace (or add to) the Alloy drinks bottles I have with a roll up water carrier. Quite like the look of the Nalgene flexible canteens http://store.nalgene.com/Cantene-96oz-p/2595-0096.htm Might be a good adition to a BOB or get home bag
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Holomon wrote:
DustyDog wrote:Anti vegan rant over, and i do still love Mrs DustyDog even though she turned to the dark side of vegan.
:lol:
We made a huge error at Xmas, not sure even how to broach the subject with the poor victim. My missus made mince pies, and we had some people over for dinner who all had very different dietary requirements. We had one veggie, one who wouldn't eat turkey, one vegan, and three others that all had certain vegetables they didn't like, so I was feeling for her.
Anyway, she breezed through it, everything was lovely, everyone complimented her, but when we went out to the kitchen she realised she'd forgotten to put the mince pies out with the coffee.
So our vegan friend pointed to them and asked if they had any suet in them. The missus said no, she hadn't put any in when she made them, and said strict vegan promptly ate 5 of them.

After they left, she had a sudden epiphany and checked the mince mix she'd used, and realised it had suet in it (neither of us knowing that was even a thing).
How the hell do we tackle that? Or do we just keep quiet?

Sorry, it's more of an Agony Aunt question than prepping but we only know the one vegan and we seem to have accidentally non-vegan'd him :oops:

Oopsy! It may have been vegetable suet? I would keep quiet about it, what the eyes don't see the heart doesn't worry about!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

HBP

I'm a fan of the humble coke or sprite bottle be it 500ml 1.5l etc.... Strong robust light weight sawyer mini filter screws onto it and I've never had one leak could never get on with the SIG bottle .. That and about 70p with some fizzy pop thrown in ;)

I've got hydration packs but they are a pita to keep clean etc...

Include a bit of sponge... Makes filling bottles from shallow puddles easier ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
notadog

Post by notadog »

So, we have a camping toilet (literally a bucket with a seat on it!), which is tucked away in the loft. I've just put a couple of rolls of bin bags, and a 10kg bag of cat litter inside it, so it's ready for a no-water situation. Also bought 10x 250ml Hand sanitisers for £10 on eBay to go with the toilet, BoB, etc. I put 48 rolls of toilet roll in the loft, my wife goes through a roll a day, so we anything less than 48 wouldn't be enough :roll: .

Just been looking at some chlorine tablets as an alternative to bleach, as bleach loses its potency within months and the tablets should last for years.
On the Internet, no one knows you are a dog.