What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by Arzosah »

Flecktarn! Another well known company I've never heard of :( that's what comes of being an arthritic sedentary worker :oops: how interesting that they have patches about blood type and allergies and wotnot :)

My own prepping is sort of firewood, after the chronic fatigue has set me back a week **again**. Sawing down more cherry laurel. I'm hoping a bonfire society will take a fair bit of it, but I'm half inclined to start a woodpile myself, there's a lot of it.

Otherwise, stocking up from the shops, getting little solar goods set up to be used - the Anker panel that will "fuel" a phone, and sun kettles - I'm going to be testing them to see what they do at this time of year, probably its just enough to take the chill of some water I'm going to boil, but since they're there, why not use them ...

It's also increasingly likely I'm going to have to make an emergency journey Oop North, as my mum's health is deteriorating, and although I have a list of what to pack at a time like that, I'm seriously considering actually packing :(
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

izzy_mack wrote:I seem to have hit one of those here we go again patches.
Sounds like you smashed your problem in the face. Nice one. Always good to hear someone overcome adversity.

This week I've been honing my children's bushcraft and cooking skills, and discovering some amazing UK bushcraft videos.
Arzosah wrote:the Anker panel that will "fuel" a phone
Disappointingly, I can't get my Anker to recharge my power bank. Hopefully it's just the (weak) strength of the sun through my office window rather than any electrical current incompatibility.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Packed the baby bag and bag for my misses ready for trip to the hospital at short notice. Switched to winter fluids in the car :D

This week I'm getting a new front door (composite, german made with solid timber core) fitted and sharpening all my tools.

I spent last week slashing and burning the front and back gardens and a shared bit of land that myself and neighbours park our cars on. The man three doors down did it this time last year, I did it this year. I now have a sore back, blunt machete and need more petrol :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PreparedKent wrote:Packed the baby bag and bag for my misses ready for trip to the hospital at short notice. Switched to winter fluids in the car :l:

Get the antifreeze / coolant checked if you haven't or buy a hydrometer

https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-352806/sea ... oCmnvw_wcB

And get battery tested...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/27204246 ... 7396036056

I have both these above makes for a quick check the load tester dumps 100a and using the scale you can see the drop after 10 seconds and decide from there

Over a fast fit place that will sell you a new battery/ new brake discs/ exhaust/ 4 new tyres ;)

The hydrometer you use it like a turkey baster when Car is cool and draw up a fill from the coolant bottle and see which discs float in the south UK would guess -20 or so would be sufficient Scotland probably -30 taking in wind chill
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
woodsman1

Post by woodsman1 »

just about ready for the winter hopefully the car will pass its MOT , Drove past a fella tonight with car trouble he was trying to use the light of his mobile phone screen to check around the back of his front wheel, unbelievable that folk dont carry a torch in there car especially this time of year :?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

woodsman1 wrote:just about ready for the winter hopefully the car will pass its MOT , Drove past a fella tonight with car trouble he was trying to use the light of his mobile phone screen to check around the back of his front wheel, unbelievable that folk dont carry a torch in there car especially this time of year :?

Yep and i hazzard a guess that 75% of people who have a torch in their car go to use it and find the batteries have gone flat and leaked their contents and rotted the torch innards :tinfoil

ive gone for the full belt braces and extra lashing approach ... must be about 6 torches kicking about in the car know there are 2 in the drivers door pocket,, one head torch in the passenger door pocket.. a Rechargeable LED worklight, a 4d maglite in the boot, one on my car keys and then i have a LED 12v worklight off a forklift truck fitted with a magnetic base and a cig lighter plug... shoving out 1400lux of light if needed

ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Yep and i hazzard a guess that 75% of people who have a torch in their car go to use it and find the batteries have gone flat and leaked their contents and rotted the torch innards :tinfoil
Mental note to self: check torch batteries in the car... :oops:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:Yep and i hazzard a guess that 75% of people who have a torch in their car go to use it and find the batteries have gone flat and leaked their contents and rotted the torch innards :tinfoil
Mental note to self: check torch batteries in the car... :oops:
IMG_20161018_212923088.jpg
Did mine about a week ago as the clocks were going back and asda sale rack was full of batteries ;)

Knife Monkey

Post by Knife Monkey »

This week I finally finished putting together my edc kit in pocket organiser (I'll get round to posting up some pics soon) I also went shopping for my new improved blackout kit. Just a heads up poundworld have usb power banks available at a pound each got a couple for the blackout kit also stocked up on batteries. Managed to grab a couple of handwarmers from poundland. Next week I'm planning on trying out a beef jerky recipe I found for some long lasting shtf foods.
When the sh*t hits the fan, Don't be standing in front of it!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPFEE6 ... GWUJsARtYA
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Knife Monkey wrote:This week I finally finished putting together my edc kit in pocket organiser (I'll get round to posting up some pics soon) I also went shopping for my new improved blackout kit. Just a heads up poundworld have usb power banks available at a pound each got a couple for the blackout kit also stocked up on batteries. Managed to grab a couple of handwarmers from poundland. Next week I'm planning on trying out a beef jerky recipe I found for some long lasting shtf foods.
While I've no idea how these Poundworld ones work I've been disappointed by cheap ones in the past. Its the same with the 18500/14500 batteries, some are better than others and labels actually mean something it seems. I'm far from an expert and I'm curious to know how yo got on, I bought some of the 'lipstick' ones from a well known online auction site and they were crap, cheap, but crap. I hope you have better luck mate.