What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
ClericalError

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by ClericalError »

Got some powder detergent to replace stored liquid pouches that degrade faster than I'd like. The Growing Stuff project continues, producing some salad leaves and herbs most days and the occasional other thing. So I now have one outdoor skill (sort of)!

I'm gradually going through my home clearing not-yet-unpacked boxes and trundling quite a bit of stuff to charity shops. This will make room for more books, er, I mean, useful stuff...

I've just sorted out the out of date messy first aid kits where I work. My karate instructor always used to say, "the art of self-defence is to hit a soft bit of them with a hard bit of you," but people at work seem to like doing it the other way round. I noticed the problem with the kit the other day when someone opted to attack a bit of rough metal with his shin and I nearly had to send him home patched up with a paperclip. If I have the proper gloves and stuff so they can't bleed all over me that's kind of a prep for me too, right?
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Still waiting for hernia op, trying to get my veg patch in some kind of order, my peas are coming on nicely, plenty of pods to see, just letting their contents grow, have had some spuds, kale and carrots, very tasty. Apart from that, nothing. :D
Up in the wet South Lakeland
junmist

Post by junmist »

Thinking of sourcing seeds for next year as I am really struggling to find wild native comfrey and there's a couple of others I want too. Also thinking of dragging the get home bag out and swapping summer cloths for winter ones but that might wait until October. And putting the winter car kit together. Oh thinking of that need to get some blister plasters
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

Rearranged the meal plan, went on a shopping spree, and upped my food store by two weeks. Got the sprouter going again. Read my survival book cover-to-cover, now reading SJA First Aid Guide.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ClericalError wrote:
I've just sorted out the out of date messy first aid kits where I work. My karate instructor always used to say, "the art of self-defence is to hit a soft bit of them with a hard bit of you," but people at work seem to like doing it the other way round. I noticed the problem with the kit the other day when someone opted to attack a bit of rough metal with his shin and I nearly had to send him home patched up with a paperclip. If I have the proper gloves and stuff so they can't bleed all over me that's kind of a prep for me too, right?
Work should be providing adequate first aid facility's and equipment!

If your the first aider you should have got a handbook with the MINIMUM specification for kits vs no of employees.... Jump up and down on your MD to get the correct stuff (and replacement stuff to top up the boxes) IMMSMC stock levels on shop floor boxes should be checked monthly...

or as we have bending the rules a bit is a couple of "in use day to day cabinets"

and a couple of HSE approved boxes in locations i know about that a sealed and new.......

Basis been for the average boo boo most grown men will help themselves to a bit of blue roll and electricians tape...

the wusses will cry and run and forcing a brave face help themselves to a plaster whilst looking all shy and embarrassed which come out the cabinets...

If its a major " oh crap daves cut his hand off"

the box can be carried to where ever he's feinted safe in the knowledge its a fully stocked box to deal with it...

Now the HSE might have a tantrum about this but try telling a 50 year old ex Miner that he needs to sit down and have the accident book filled in for a slight scratch on his pinky .... he will opt for the possibly dirty, blue roll and bit of tape, rather than reporting it....

Giving them access to wound wipes and sterile plasters gives them the chance to retain some male pride yet get the wound clean and covered with something suitable

Isn't ideal but its a much better option to them . To be fair since doing this we have had very few people use the day to day boxes,,,,

I have a keyring
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rescue-CPR-Re ... TDRnRAxs3w

with a pair of nitrile gloves and pocket mask carefully folded on my work keys. so they are always to hand...

Been sorting the works kits out today myself nice big order going in later in the week once i get the company credit card :mrgreen:

Old kit will be sifted and regifted to the local Cadette force for them to use in first aid training
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Squirrelcatcher

Post by Squirrelcatcher »

Just bought some powdered peanut butter (from Sainsburys). Rather expensive, but will last longer than the oil ones.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Been collecting blackberries and elderberries and making cordials while sugar is quite cheap (home and bargain- 45p). Stocking up on tinned stuff at present too.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Squirrelcatcher wrote:Just bought some powdered peanut butter (from Sainsburys). Rather expensive, but will last longer than the oil ones.
That's a new one on me , not heard of it before. What do you mix it with to reconstitute , I'm presuming oil rather than water? How's the taste once made up in comparison to "regular"peanut butter?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

New toy for me :-)

Off backpacking next weekend in the lakes wanted to standardise gas appliances the size and robustness along with the many good reviews made it worth a punt... Gauze replacement after burning in the mantle needs a very steady hand rip mantle #1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/reviews/ ... geNumber=4
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
vassili

Post by vassili »

We have been terribly slack recently, too busy running our businesses.
We have however just finally had a three week break away from everything , this has given us a chance to think about our tardiness in the prep department.
So, today being crappie weather, the store room is going to be emptied out and reorganised.
I can see straight away we have some gaping holes in some things, mainly tins, pasta, bog roll, oils etc.
It really is so easy to slip into complacency!
While we were away the other side of the pond our bil kept trying to convince us we ought to move out there REAL soon, they are pulling all their equity out of the uk, and moving his mother over there.
He is very up there in the defense side of things, but would not go into specifics.
This gave us a bit of a kick up the bum we needed.