What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
MissPrep

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by MissPrep »

Deeps wrote: I intend to stay put for starters unless in the most of extremely extreme situations of extreme extremeness so for us that usually involves a glass or two of vino so I have a fair stock put away. I add to it when I can, its unlikely to go 'off' in Casa Deeps. :D Not a fan of the cocktails myself but it sounds like you've earned one with the plumbing debacle.
Not actually a massive fan either, was an impulse buy but I intend to stay put unless "extremely extreme situations of extreme extremeness" occur too. :lol:
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Today I decided to deep plough and rotavate a patch for carrots. It went well, I now have a deep, fine tilth, but the deep plowing turned up a load of rocks the size of footballs which I had to remove by hand before rotavating. I ache now.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll sow 5000 carrot seeds.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Decaff wrote:
Decaff wrote:Hows the clean out coming along? It makes everything easier to find doesn't it and the space is no longer stressful.
A little at a time will get it sorted, a bag a day either binned, donated or sold will soon add up. Sounds like you have a plan for getting the garden sorted too! I hope the emergency is as painless as these things get, hang in there and stay strong x
Thanks Decaff - stuff is either being binned, the odd lot makes it to the charity shop, or put by for a period of selling online, after I retire. I can't guarantee feeling well enough to do something each day, so I do it as and when I can ... space is wonderful! The family emergency has become chronic, it will ramp up again to acute before it gets sorted mid-June :(

Sounds like everyone is doing brilliantly - I had an "oops" moment yesterday, the dodgy shed has just caved in - will definitely have to see it to it this year - another storm will see bits of mdf from the ex-roof flying about :oops:

Dehydrating half my lemon balm plant worked well, and was faster than I thought it would be - must remember not to let it grow so high ( = so pretty) as the foliage left on the inside was wasted as slug food :roll:
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Catweazle wrote:Today I decided to deep plough and rotavate a patch for carrots. It went well, I now have a deep, fine tilth, but the deep plowing turned up a load of rocks the size of footballs which I had to remove by hand before rotavating. I ache now.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll sow 5000 carrot seeds.
Oh wow!!!! What will you do with all those carrots?? Can? freeze? umm keep rabbits?? :shock:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Have planted cauliflowers, peppers and toms, hope to have peas and french beans in by weekend, also trying to rotate tinned preps that are coming to the end of their sell by date, i know with tins you can mostly ignore those dates, but may as well keep them as 'fresh' as possible for possible emergency.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Decaff wrote:Oh wow!!!! What will you do with all those carrots?? Can? freeze? umm keep rabbits?? :shock:
Pigs. 25 of them at present. I'll let them in to take whatever we don't want to eat, they'll dig them up, plough the ground, manure it, and eat any weeds too. Then I'll rotavate it and repeat. I hope to never have to plough it again.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Catweazle wrote:
Decaff wrote:Oh wow!!!! What will you do with all those carrots?? Can? freeze? umm keep rabbits?? :shock:
Pigs. 25 of them at present. I'll let them in to take whatever we don't want to eat, they'll dig them up, plough the ground, manure it, and eat any weeds too. Then I'll rotavate it and repeat. I hope to never have to plough it again.
Excellent! Home raised bacon! Now I'm jealous!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

No preps this week, in fact, extremely skint for the next couple of weeks so i'm using one of my food crates that i have stashed away, just another example of why it is good to have preps, not the long awaited zombie apocalypse but it is all 'just in case' and i'm glad i have them. :D
Up in the wet South Lakeland
angeuk

Post by angeuk »

I've been doing a little more planting. Got a couple of raised beds in the yard now. Sadly this has meant a trip to Wilkos for chicken wire, as apparently my beds look like giant litter trays to my neighbour's cat.

So tons more compost until I get my lazy backside round to getting a proper composter. Also looking at one of the 'Berkey' water filters.

Not really a fan of real ale, but after reading through some threads on here, I'm wondering about doing a bit of home brewing. My taste usually runs to cans of what my neighbours cat is doing in my raised beds (Fosters). Just thinking it sounds like a bit of fun.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

angeuk wrote:I've been doing a little more planting. Got a couple of raised beds in the yard now. Sadly this has meant a trip to Wilkos for chicken wire, as apparently my beds look like giant litter trays to my neighbour's cat.

So tons more compost until I get my lazy backside round to getting a proper composter. Also looking at one of the 'Berkey' water filters.

Not really a fan of real ale, but after reading through some threads on here, I'm wondering about doing a bit of home brewing. My taste usually runs to cans of what my neighbours cat is doing in my raised beds (Fosters). Just thinking it sounds like a bit of fun.
You can do homebrew lager too, I did it 20 odd years ago with variable results, me and Her Maj are talking about doing wine and cider, even though neither of us drink it :? we do produce apples though. :lol:

Edited for clarification, neither of us drink cider, wine on the other hand......